DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

That looks completely stupid.

I will Fandango my tickets tomorrow.

And in the tradition of Ip Man 3, Kiss of the Dragon, Game of Death, and The Executioner, our Asian protagonist must showcase his grit and superior skill by fighting a large black man.

At least I will enjoy the part where he apparently goes to Texas and beats up an entire army of redneck death cult human traffickers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Flatliners Reboot

Why does this look like the show that could follow Riverdale on Thursday nights on the CW.

It looks genuinely creepy.

I think I may be the only person who chafes at Hollywood perpetuating the myth that defibrillators are designed to jump start human beings back to consciousness when they are dead.

15 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

That's a movie that I would have never thought would be remade. 

If they come after Jacob's Ladder next there will be consequences

The sad thing is that there is profit in repackaging 80's and 90's cultural content for Millennial consumption.

One day, they try to will make The Goonies into a vehicle for some of the kid actors from the Disney / It's A Laugh shows or Teen Nick and that will enrage me.

39 minutes ago, J.T. said:

The sad thing is that there is profit in repackaging 80's and 90's cultural content for Millennial consumption.

One day, they try to will make The Goonies into a vehicle for some of the kid actors from the Disney / It's A Laugh shows or Teen Nick and that will enrage me.

....which is funny because I don't even have that type of fondness for shit I actually grew up with.  I don't hold up any of these IPs as sacred ground.

The Goonies, like Back to the Future, should be protected from being rebooted or remade.

The only way I'd be on board with a new Goonies movie is if they did what was discussed in the past, where the original cast are the parents and its their kids that go off on an adventure and get in trouble. The parents then try to track their kids down too, reliving much of what they went through years ago.

The working/original title for this film was Tomboy something or other and I was confused seeing Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver's names on Youtube for a trailer. I figured it was the same film.

Anyway, for Walter Hill, they had to bill him as the director for THE WARRIORS and the producer of ALIEN. Shit, they might as well bill him as the director of HARD TIMES. That movie only was released 42 years ago.

Apparently, the transgender community boycotted this film. Wait, when did this happen? Also, they must have a shitload of time of their hands for a film distributed by Saban Films.

24 minutes ago, EVA said:

That is fucking insane.  Just....how?  How is that a real movie?

If you go to a non-major studio or random production company and people have money, they will give you some to do whatever if you have clout.

They kept the plot under wraps and then suddenly it was out already. 

Based on some research, Walter Hill didn't get any shit for this film. So there was no protest just someone being liberal with their definition of "controversy" & "protest" on Wikipedia.  Roland Emmerich got destroyed for the Stonewall film, but then again he says a ton of stupid shit anyway.

That movie was written in the '70s, FWIW. Why they decided to make it (and why it got greenlighted) in the current political climate is beyond me. I think if it had actually been made back then, it would be an incredibly ridiculous piece of shit that us grindhouse type fans would love as a guilty pleasure. Coming out now it just looks remarkably tasteless... which means it'll serve its purpose for the next generation, probably. 

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

That movie was written in the '70s, FWIW. Why they decided to make it (and why it got greenlighted) in the current political climate is beyond me. I think if it had actually been made back then, it would be an incredibly ridiculous piece of shit that us grindhouse type fans would love as a guilty pleasure. Coming out now it just looks remarkably tasteless... which means it'll serve its purpose for the next generation, probably. 

It was straight to video and didn't cost anything to make. Only the most hardcore of cinephiles knew about this.

Juxtapose that against Nina last year which cost a pretty penny just getting a star so they could ship the film and was Zoe Saldana walking around in blackface for an hour and a half in perhaps the worst biopic of all time. That was DOA from the beginning as it actually got a ton of amount of scrutiny from filming until its release  for several reasons.

I recall seeing The Assignment available on netflix a good month or two ago. I also recall hearing about it from Bleeding Cool last year. I'm surprised this is only just being discovered here now.