DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 minutes ago, EVA said:

Tom Holland cast as Nathan Drake in Uncharted

Apparently the movie is being rewritten as a prequel focused on the game's flashbacks to young Drake, aka "nobody's favorite part of those games."  What the fuck.

Oh, Holy Shit..

No one wanted the Young Indiana Jones part of Uncharted. 

How did they manage to fuck this up?

47 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Oh, Holy Shit..

No one wanted the Young Indiana Jones part of Uncharted. 

How did they manage to fuck this up?

It's a Sony Pictures movie. That's how it got fucked up.

Man, I wish the North Koreans would keep hacking Sony Pictures. I just want a constant stream of the emails from that company because I'm sure that their big takeaway from getting hacked was "everyone can see our emails and sees how we correspond with each other" and probably no one thought "hey, now that these are out in the open, we look like pretty big shitheads. Maybe we could be better and not fuck up every franchise we control?"

Two years later: Venom movie moving forward with Tom Hardy, Uncharted movie scrapped to now be a young Nathan Drake movie because Tom Holland is Spider-Man, likely coming up with ways to torpedo the relationship with Disney in making the new Spider-Man movies, etc...

• Like 3

Craig beat me to it:  Because Sony.

I bet Joe Carnahan is pissed somewhere right now.  He wrote a big, crazy action script that's now getting dumped to make a kiddie adventure movie.

Although I guess we should've seen this coming when they hired the guy from the NIGHT AT THE MUSEUM movies to direct.

Universal has announced that all its Monster movies are going to be under the name Dark Universe

This starts with The Mummy 

The next film from Dark Universe, Bride of Frankenstein will be released on Thursday, February 14, 2019. That is directed by Bill Condon who most recently directed the live action Beauty and the Beast

Good lord, please get our inimitable Crow screenwriter off the bridge already

Javier would make a pretty good Dracula though...

Can The Wolf Man from a couple years back just count so they don't have to make another one? That was actually decent.

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Tom Holland cast as Nathan Drake in Uncharted

Apparently the movie is being rewritten as a prequel focused on the game's flashbacks to young Drake, aka "nobody's favorite part of those games."  What the fuck.

"Guys, we need to get rid of $150m - pronto. How can we tank this Uncharted movie thing? "

• Like 2

Yeah, when a studio is gearing up to launch a brand new franchise, their best bet is casting a group of actors pushing 60 and having a gap of almost two years between the first and second picture. 

• Like 3

Sony is so far beyond a functional movie studio that I'm shocked that anything good comes from there. I mean, if you're tied to an existing franchise/IP and Sony is your distributor or movie studio, then you're practically fucked.

Isn't that Dracula movie from a few years ago with Luke Evans supposed to be part of some franchise or other?

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Isn't that Dracula movie from a few years ago with Luke Evans supposed to be part of some franchise or other?

This one, in theory, but it's utter failure is leading to it being more or less ignored, at least for now.

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Yeah - the plan is on rebooting it somewhere along the lines but again - the Universe has to last that long for that to happen

Hopefully, it leads to a reboot of this ...

monsterbash2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hope the new Resident Evil movies are slower pace jump scare horrors than the horror/action of the last series. 

The franchise included a nine foot tall zombie in a leather getup with a bazooka. I feel like horror/action is probably the right default.

13 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

The franchise included a nine foot tall zombie in a leather getup with a bazooka. I feel like horror/action is probably the right default.

That was like part 3.  The first two were very slow and methodical with detective work and such 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That was like part 3.  The first two were very slow and methodical with detective work and such 

There was still a giant spider monster and the possibility of getting your own bazooka. As much as the games have a rep for being stealth stuff, the survival aspect usually had more to do with hoarding the good weapons for boss fights and thus questioning which lingering zombie might get you at a corner. But they've always had weird giant monsters and shit from the first installment onward.

13 minutes ago, The Unholy Dragon said:

There was still a giant spider monster and the possibility of getting your own bazooka. As much as the games have a rep for being stealth stuff, the survival aspect usually had more to do with hoarding the good weapons for boss fights and thus questioning which lingering zombie might get you at a corner. But they've always had weird giant monsters and shit from the first installment onward.

They did have crazy stuff from the start but it was still more survival and you were in an enclosed environment. It was much more personal. I was watching a Resident Evil trailer and I see her running through what looks like a desert with machine guns and shit, that's not RE to me. 

13 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

This one, in theory, but it's utter failure is leading to it being more or less ignored, at least for now.

Bah, it is horrible in a nearly good way. 

It would've been Castlevania:  Origin of Dracula if not for the silly ending set in the present day.

12 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I hope the new Resident Evil movies are slower pace jump scare horrors than the horror/action of the last series. 

Logan Browning as Sheva Alomar or GTFO.

I'd love to believe that was random, but that Twitter account probably belongs to Rihanna's publicist or something.

Ava Duvernay just doesn't randomly decide to direct shit.

Call me old but I long for the days when studios would wait to see if the first movie, you know, makes a fucking dime before planning a sequel, let alone a trilogy or an entire "shared universe."  God damn, movie studios, at least lie to me and tell me making  a movie is not the same as making any other product nowadays.

8 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Call me old but I long for the days when studios would wait to see if the first movie, you know, makes a fucking dime before planning a sequel, let alone a trilogy or an entire "shared universe."  God damn, movie studios, at least lie to me and tell me making  a movie is not the same as making any other product nowadays.

You're old.

I'm (probably) older.

• Like 1