DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

Looking back at his original Facebook post - he said that "he needed a few TV or movie gigs" to qualify

And that Chokeslam movie was filmed at the latest early 2016 (since it was in a Canadian Film Festival in Oct 2016) so he already had that in the can

I wonder if the last line of that Chokeslam trailer, where Foley says you get used to concussions, is one day going to be revealed as why they took him off of RAW this time around.

11 hours ago, zev said:

I wonder if the last line of that Chokeslam trailer, where Foley says you get used to concussions, is one day going to be revealed as why they took him off of RAW this time around.

For that to happen, Vince would need to know that "talkies" exist.  Pop culture wise, he's still working through the silent film era.

The Bad Batch

It is interesting that IMDB says someone is in this movie that the trailer makes no mention of who is/was a big name

I am also 99% sure that is Tough Enough Mada as one of the weightlifters

Directed by Ana Lily Amirpour?  I'm in!

I saw a few trailers for Sleight while watching some of the NBA playoff games.  I hope that flick does well when it comes out.

On 4/13/2017 at 10:56 AM, Matt D said:

The Paul Heyman of small press publishing, ladies and gentleman.

(I'm so sorry, John)

Not quite, everybody always got paid. ;-)

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Control said:

Gentlemen, I have seen CITIZEN KANE and THE SEVEN SAMURAI, and I can say without hyperbole that FREE FIRE is a million times better than both of them combined.

I know you're being quasi-facetious, but Free Fire is indeed really fucking awesome.  It is Reservoir Dogs without the off color ethnic jokes and a helluva lot more bullets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I know you're being quasi-facetious, but Free Fire is indeed really fucking awesome.  It is Reservoir Dogs without the off color ethnic jokes and a helluva lot more bullets.

It's like RESERVOIR DOGS meets MAD MAX: FURY ROAD, inasmuch as it takes the latter's strategy of turning a car chase into an entire film and applies it to gun fights. I really could have used a crane shot at some point, though, to make sense of the whole things spatially.

Not only did it remind me how great Sharlto Copley can be, it's legitimately the first time Army Hammer has been anything but tall and vanilla. He actually added to my enjoyment of the film. That's never happened before.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2017 at 8:37 AM, J.T. said:

Having seen it this afternoon, I would say Free Fire is more Wheatley's speed than something like High-Rise. I thought High-Rise was decent, but I think it's a little too ambitious for Wheatley at this point of his career. You could rewatch Free Fire three or four times in a day, and still be satisfied with every viewing.

That brings me to my next point: I would compare Free Fire more to The Hateful Eight than Reservoir Dogs if I had to compare it to a Tarantino film. I think the people who were dissatisfied with Hateful Eight wanted something along the lines of Free Fire rather than the equivalent of a bloody, slow burn three hour stage play. I think people readily compare Free Fire and Reservoir Dogs because of the setting. You take away the setting, and it's a completely different movie. Johnnie To's Three that just came out not too long ago is more similar to Reservoir Dogs than Free Fire and that's in a hospital (even though the final act is part Die Hard). Free Fire has dark humor mixed with blood, but it's more cheeky than a cop getting terrorized and Lawrence Tierney cutting promos. I was laughing like 85% of the time (especially when Ord, Harry, or Vernon would drop one liners in the background). Plus, the exposition in Reservoir Dogs means WAY MORE than what you're given in Free Fire. In the latter, you got the IRA dudes, Stevo fucking with Harry's cousin, and Vernon as the Apartheid era white South African guy calling his giant black associate who can kick his ass "boy". Everything else you don't really need as the whole thing revolves something extremely stupid that could have been handled easily. Reservoir Dogs had outside forces that fucked the job up, and the fact Roth's character was an undercover (that guy from Colors who was Roth's partner is still one of the worst actors I've ever seen BTW) along with other stuff central to the plot. The Hateful Eight didn't have that many moving pieces that were extremely important. It just happens to be double the length as Free Fire and Reservoir Dogs.

• Like 1

20th Century Fox has set set release dates for no less than eight more films.

The studio has moved up Kingsman: The Golden Circle one week from September 29, 2017 to September 22, 2017. Universal’s American Made had briefly moved up from September 29 to September 22 this week, but with the Kingsman change, it has gone back to the 29th.

Kenneth Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express has been moved up from November 22, 2017 to November 10, 2017.

Steven Spielberg’s The Post (which the studio says is still untitled), starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, will open in limited theaters on December 22, 2017 and will then expand wider on January 12, 2018.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the third film in the franchise, has been moved from January 12, 2018 to February 9, 2018.

Francis Lawrence’s action-thriller Red Sparrow, starring Jennifer Lawrence, has been pushed back from November 10, 2017 to March 2, 2018.

The mysterious The Kid Who Would be King has been set for a September 28, 2018 release date.

Steve McQueen’s Widows adaptation will arrive in theaters on November 16, 2018.

And Bryan Singer’s Bohemian Rhapsody is scheduled to open on December 25, 2018. Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek will play Freddie Mercury in the biopic.

On 4/14/2017 at 8:28 AM, RIPPA said:

The Bad Batch

It is interesting that IMDB says someone is in this movie that the trailer makes no mention of who is/was a big name

I am also 99% sure that is Tough Enough Mada as one of the weightlifters

After finally watching that I'm seriously questioning whether "Ana Lily Amirpour" is just code for "Harmony Korine"

And then I just read this 

Spoiler

Amirpour has described her next project, an English-language film entitled The Bad Batch as "a post-apocalyptic cannibal love story set in a Texas wasteland" where a "muscled cannibal breaks the rule ‘don’t play with your food’" - "It’s Road Warrior meets Pretty in Pink with a dope soundtrack."[11][12] She has also described it as "very violent" and "very romantic" and like "El Topo meets Dirty Dancing".[13] She set the lead of the film with American actors Jason Momoa,[14] Jim Carrey and Keanu Reeves.[15] It premiered at the 73rd Venice International Film Festival on September 6, 2016 and won the Special Jury prize.[16]

and now I REALLY don't know what the fuck to think

• Like 1

International Trailer for The Mummy which covers most of the same crowd as the regular trailer

I think I am staying far away from this in the Blockbuster pool because I am thinking the Tom Cruise factor is gonna lead to this doing far better than it has any right to.

The weird thing is, well, maybe it isn't so weird, is that if the Mummy had Simon Pegg, Ving Rhames, and other M:I dudes in it and were a M:I movie based around a Mummy type thing, then I would be all about this movie.

Instead it's a reboot of the Mummy and I couldn't care less.

1 hour ago, Brian Fowler said:

These maybe should go in the comic book movies folder but Fox also announced dates for

New Mutants - 4/13/18

Deadpool 2 - 6/1/18

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - 11/2/18

Didn't they already do Dark Phoenix?

That movie was retconned out of existence. Is Bryan Singer doing the Dark Phoenix movie?

Also, I want the Phoenix Saga movie. I want X-Men going into outer space. I want that sort of wild ass movie and not another period movie where they beg Jennifer Lawrence to come back as Mystique.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RIPPA said:

20th Century Fox has set set release dates for no less than eight more films.

The studio has moved up Kingsman: The Golden Circle one week from September 29, 2017 to September 22, 2017. Universal’s American Made had briefly moved up from September 29 to September 22 this week, but with the Kingsman change, it has gone back to the 29th.

Kenneth Branagh’s Murder on the Orient Express has been moved up from November 22, 2017 to November 10, 2017.

Steven Spielberg’s The Post (which the studio says is still untitled), starring Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep, will open in limited theaters on December 22, 2017 and will then expand wider on January 12, 2018.

Maze Runner: The Death Cure, the third film in the franchise, has been moved from January 12, 2018 to February 9, 2018.

Francis Lawrence’s action-thriller Red Sparrow, starring Jennifer Lawrence, has been pushed back from November 10, 2017 to March 2, 2018.

The mysterious The Kid Who Would be King has been set for a September 28, 2018 release date.

Steve McQueen’s Widows adaptation will arrive in theaters on November 16, 2018.

And Bryan Singer’s Bohemian Rhapsody is scheduled to open on December 25, 2018. Mr. Robot‘s Rami Malek will play Freddie Mercury in the biopic.

I believe February 9 was going to be The Predator's release date. That's now coming out August 3rd.