DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I am told that Power Rangers has so much product placement in it, that it is being described as a feature length Krispy Kreme commercial that just happens to have robots and aliens in it.

I would much rather go see that movie than the one in the trailers.

I have also heard that Life is an Alien knock off, albeit a really good Alien knock off.

22 hours ago, Kuetsar said:

The only thing I took away from the Power Rangers trailer is that they continue the tradition of casting people who can't act at ALL.

Well, it is getting a lot of sympathy traction despite the relatively negative reviews since one of the characters (Trini) is openly homosexual..

My daughter will be pleased that Death Note will be on Netflix so she can watch it whenever at our crib.

I am happy that it will be on Netflix because I already pay for Netflix.  Movie tickets are fucking expensive at the theaters near me.

I am thrilled to death that my kid never got into Captain Underpants.

However I am not going to be able to dodge this bullet:

Everything, Everything

Starring: Amandla Stenberg, Nick Robinson, Anika Noni Rose

Based on the novel by Nicola Yoon.

Release date:  May 19, 2017

THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBINGS, MISSOURI (RED BAND TRAILER for language)

Starring Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, Peter Dinklage, John Hawkes

Directed by Martin McDonaugh (7 Pyschopaths, In Bruges)

100% all in.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I thought it was him for a second! 

This should interest a few of you on here: http://shadowandact.com/2017/03/23/lionsgate-is-developing-an-action-drama-film-on-yasuke-the-first-black-samurai/

Also, in interest to all here, HBO is producing an Andre documentary 

Damn, I first heard about Yasuke in one of Tariq Nasheed's Hidden Colors films a few years ago. Hopefully, it's at least half decent.

Also, can we get a Gaspar Yanga or Juan Caballo/John Horse film next?

1 minute ago, Curt McGirt said:

My memory is officially shot

I mean that doc is the perfect storm since it was documentary, Andre, HBO and Bill Simmons

So every was all chatty cathy about it

Okay, so the word from the French premier of Ghost In The Shell is that it is not entirely horrible, but there is a review embargo until Friday.

Spolerish information from a French online journalist that attended the release:

Spoiler

What worked :

• Total runtime: 106 minutes, so it is quite packed, which is great.
  • The casting was good. Not excellent, but good.
  • Great copy pastas from various scenes and plot points from the first two movies and SAC. Overall, the plot is good.
  • Beautiful CGI, very close to the original universe.
  • The optic camo skein suit.  It never really made sense to me why Motoko had to run around nude in order for the invis to work in the animated film other than to increase the amount of mature content to guarantee a Not For Children rating. 
  • Good makeup and costumes
  • Gabriel

For those of you not in the know:

What didn't work :

• The music, but it is not a Japanese movie, so the way it is handled is different.
  • Some of the pacing, especially the last half hour
  • Togusa didn't click for me.
  • It is definitely Americanized

What really didn't work :

• NO TACHIKOMAS (this was almost a deal breaker for me.)

Steve Aoki made a wub wub remix of Birth of a Cyborg which I guess is the movie's theme song.

34 minutes ago, EVA said:

Yeah, but he hasn't made a good movie in a decade.

Good as in the sort of artistic merit that garners Oscar nods, or good as in fun to watch, not that those terms are mutually exclusive? I ask because Machete was a 2010 offering.

Also, we won't know if 100 Years is good because it won't be released until 2115, and Alita: Battle Angel is still in production.