DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

4 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Patrick Stewart thinks Beavis and Butthead is brilliant and hilarious. Him lending his talents to the Emoji Movie isn't that far fetched.

I also think that Bevis and Butthead is brilliant. 

In Mark Twain's definition it is the highest form of satire since the largest audience of the show is also the show's target of scorn and those people have no clue that they are being made fun of.

B&B is society's best warning flag.  It clues in reasonable people we should stay as far away as possible from anyone that immediately laughs at the jokes.

B&B even has a litmus test installed in the form of Daria Morgendorfer.  If she is repulsed by the things that Bevis and Buitthead do, you probably should be, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Full Power Rangers trailer that I am sure should go in the comic folder somewhere but fuck it

I am most angry about the use of Power

What works:

• I am digging the badass zero fucks given version of Rita Repulsa
  • Megazord, brah!  Fucking Megazord!
  • Armor > Cheesecloth costumes and boots with zippers on the sides.
  • Thank God, the cannon fodder opposition is a little more formidable than Putty Men.
  • I don't care if they ripped off V1K1 from I, Robot.  The new Zordon looks cool.

What doesn't work;

• So they all basically wake up and everyone has the Tobey McGuire "I haz super powers now?" moment from the very first Spider Man movie.  Lame.  .
  • No girl ranger in this movie is hotter than Amy Jo Johnson.
  • The Goldar in this movie is not a werewolf in Roman armor.  I call bullshit.
  • Yeah, I hate their powers being always on.  Their "kryptonite" in the kid's show was having to morph to access super powers and part of the charm of the show was having the kids at least halfwyay try to solve problems without having to resort to preternatural abilities and mecha.
  • R2-D2 is the curse of all kids sci-fi shows. I hated 7-Zark-7 and I fucking hate Alpha Five.  Death to all cute robot sidekicks in anything that is not Star Wars..
  • No Bulk, No Skull, No Peace!
  • Like 3

I'm in agreement with all of that.

Regarding the Power Rangers trailer, part of me wants to get excited, and the other part says, "no, don't, it's shitty Transformers-looking Power Rangers XTREME."

28 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

We saw the ghost in the shell trailer last night in front of Silence. Starting it with apparently naked Scarlett will get your attention. 

If the opening scene of the live action GiTS is the same as the Birth Of A Cyborg sequence from the anime and showcases ScarJo, many young men in the audience will simultaneously discover their manhood.

3 minutes ago, Craig H said:

And yes, Power was best used in Saints Row.

That mission was my favorite mission in any Saint's Row game.

I didn't BASE Jump from the helicopter until Kanye started rapping.

23 minutes ago, J.T. said:

If the opening scene of the live action GiTS is the same as the Birth Of A Cyborg sequence from the anime and showcases ScarJo, many young men in the audience will simultaneously discover their manhood.

Yeah, that trailer has nowhere near the pants tightening effect that the Birth of a Cyborg scene has which has nowhere near the pants tightening effect of any of Masamune Shirow's GITS manga cover art.

And what the fuck is Hanka?  Where is Seburo Corporation?

• Like 1

They've used that song for a million things involving power. 

More people should be offended by that water scene where the black power ranger gets mad that the Asian guy gets to be the power ranger in a black suit. *shakes head* 

28 minutes ago, Zartan said:

More people should be offended by that water scene where the black power ranger gets mad that the Asian guy gets to be the power ranger in a black suit. *shakes head* 

It made my temples hurt a little since the dark skinned black kid is the Blue Ranger instead of the Black Ranger, but when you look for something to be offended by you usually find it.

At least he gets to pilot the Triceratops instead of the lame Wooly Mammoth..

I can already see how this movie ends...The good guys come together and defeat Rita and we have one, maybe two, stingers. The first is of Lord Zedd. The second is new kid in school...Tommy Frank. And then the second movie gives everyone what they want the most, the Green Power Ranger.

And that's kind of my problem with these types of movies. Give people what they want the first time around. Give us the fucking Green ranger and his Dragonzord in this movie. Don't pussy foot around the issue. There's so many other storylines you can do for the second one.

Also, why the FUCK do I know so much about a show I haven't watched in about 20 years, yet I can remember shit from last week?

9 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, why the FUCK do I know so much about a show I haven't watched in about 20 years, yet I can remember shit from last week?

Dora The Explorer Syndrome.

You had a son / daughter / little cousin / various pre-pubescent dependent that you looked after and you  sub-consciously absorbed every bit of children's programming that he / she sat and watched.

I can't tell you what I had for breakfast last week but I babysat my nephew when he was a kid so I am well versed in all things Power Rangers, I have a 14 year old daughter so I have data dumped all things Winx Club in favor of Pretty Little Liars and The Fifth Wave series of novels, and thanks to my kinda sorta 14 month old grandkid, I can tell you everything you don't want to know about The Notekins, Harry The Bunny, and Vocabu-Larry.

1 minute ago, Craig H said:

Wait until you learn about Shopkins, or worse, step on a Shopkin.

Jesus, Craig.  I am still trying to figure out which one is Bloop and which one is Loop.  You can't be droppin' this Shopkins shit on me right now.

10 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I can already see how this movie ends...The good guys come together and defeat Rita and we have one, maybe two, stingers. The first is of Lord Zedd. The second is new kid in school...Tommy Frank. And then the second movie gives everyone what they want the most, the Green Power Ranger.

And that's kind of my problem with these types of movies. Give people what they want the first time around. Give us the fucking Green ranger and his Dragonzord in this movie. Don't pussy foot around the issue. There's so many other storylines you can do for the second one.

Don't feel bad.

It's Tommy Oliver, not Tommy Frank.  

Also, fuck shopkins, those fucking things hurt.

• Like 2