DVDVR Message Board

[MOVIE] 2017 UPCOMING MOVIE DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Before the video loaded, i hoped Woody was playing Woodrow Wilson. 

I was hoping he was playing a volleyball. Or a dude always hidden behind a fence. 

• Like 4

Kenya Barris is going to create, produce, and possibly direct a remake of White Men Can't Jump.  Normally I'd be all WHY~???, but this season of black-ish was really strong and, more importantly, funny so this may actually be a good thing.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Kenya Barris is going to create, produce, and possibly direct a remake of White Men Can't Jump.  Normally I'd be all WHY~???, but this season of black-ish was really strong and, more importantly, funny so this may actually be a good thing.

Btw, Ron Shelton was just on jonah keri's podcast.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, J.T. said:

I'm fine with this, so long as he understands that White Men Can't Jump is not about basketball.  

Also, I still want a movie of Wesley Snipes insulting people and then dunking on them for 2 hours.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Man, I dunno about this.  That movie is pretty much perfect as-is.

11 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I know some people despise or only tolerate Woody (like my dad, who unbelievably sat through all of the first season of True Detective), but I like him and Wilson looks like it's gonna be fun. And Youth In Oregon is gonna make me cry for no reason

I think Woody is great.  Been a fan of his for a long, long time.

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I'm fine with this, so long as he understands that White Men Can't Jump is not about basketball.  

Also, I still want a movie of Wesley Snipes insulting people and then dunking on them for 2 hours.

The discerning and multi layered humor of black-ish makes me think that Barris is smart enough to "get it" and the remake is in good hands.

My issue is the same as Tabe's aka does this movie really need to be remade?

In these days of divisive racial identity politics, I daresay I can think of a better candidate for a remake given the ending.

The part left out of all that White Men Can't Jump sequel talk is that Blake Griffin is also helping produce it

Which pretty much is gonna mean - Blake Griffin is gonna star in it

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

I Am Michael

Starring James Franco, Zachary Quinto, and Emma Roberts 

It's the true story of a gay rights advocate and his alleged conversion to heterosexuality. 

Translation (James Franco):

I apologize for starring in Why Him?  Here I am starring in something that is fucking awesome.

52 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

The Discovery

Umm.... what the fuck?!?!?!??!

Technically NSFW I guess as you do watch a dude blow his own head off

Sweet sweet Netfllix.  I accept your apology for not having The Man In The High Castle in your line up.

Now if only Marvel Studios would move their asses and get Season One of The Punisher and Iron Fist online..

I can't find the post because JT posted about Split in the wrong thread but in regards to the spoiler that was posted (about the "twist" and ending)

I just heard a movie reviewer on a radio interview basically confirm that it is true (they said it in non-spoiler terms but since I read the spoiler I put two and two together)

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

The discerning and multi layered humor of black-ish makes me think that Barris is smart enough to "get it" and the remake is in good hands.

My issue is the same as Tabe's aka does this movie really need to be remade?

In these days of divisive racial identity politics, I daresay I can think of a better candidate for a remake given the ending.

Part of that movie's success is its willingness to tread full-on into racial stereotypes and mock them constantly - while simultaneously having some of them be true.  I just don't know if that kind of humor will play in 2017.  And I don't think the movie works nearly as well without it.

Stewart seems to have a good sense of humor so my guess is that the paycheck was probably good (especially since he can probably record all his stuff in one day) and he probably finds the idea of being talking poop to be funny enough to go with it. It will likely be one of if not the worst thing in his career, cause how can it not be bad, but talking poop will sound like Sir PAtrick Stewart and he probably finds that hilarious.