DVDVR Message Board

2017 UK DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Man do we need better indie wrestling venues though. It was hot as a motherfucker with as many people as were in there for Progress with super long lines for water and one very inconveniently placed water fountain. Looked like one dude fainted for a sec during the TK injury stuff. And it wasn't even super hot in New York today, if it was 90+ like for the Tier 1 show in June it would have been impossible.

So while by most accounts the Progress show last night was great in the ring, the big story is someone seriously overbooked the building which wasn't air conditioned and apparently not properly supplied with food and water either.  A couple people passed out from heat exhaustion.  Lots of debate about whether this is just whining or a serious issue

It really stresses the need for more affordable buildings to run wrestling shows in New York City.  Or just run shows in Jersey

I was gonna say just stop running shows in NYC.  The rent isn't coming down anywhere in the 5 boroughs, so you might as well run stuff outside the city.  It's not like there's a shortage of buildings in the NY Metro area.

Also, this trope of indy guys hitting Pedigrees on WWE Contracted guys is getting kinda old.

16 hours ago, hammerva said:

So while by most accounts the Progress show last night was great in the ring, the big story is someone seriously overbooked the building which wasn't air conditioned and apparently not properly supplied with food and water either.  A couple people passed out from heat exhaustion.  Lots of debate about whether this is just whining or a serious issue

I've been to the Elmcor Center before... I forget if it has A/C or not, but both shows I've seen there were fairly sparsely attended so it wouldn't have been as big an issue. It was really nice in NYC on Saturday - high of only 78 - and I can't imagine how horrific it would've been if it was another 15-20 degrees warmer. As great as the show sounded live, I won't lose any sleep over skipping it (As Ray texted me yesterday, "we've put in enough miles to warrant AC in a building").

Couldn't possibly been hotter than some of those summer shows at the Murphy Rec Center in the early days of ROH. I remember nearly dying from the heat there at the show where the first champion was crowned. I think it was close to 100 degrees that day.

I attended the ROH War of the Worlds Liverpool show tonight. I had no idea Liverpool was such a dump. Kinda reminded me of Cleveland. 

The show was good, but not great. I got to see Ultimo Guerrero and Rey Bucanero live, so that was cool. Best match was probably Mark Haskins vs Silas Young. Silas is such a good heel. Everybody hated him. 

Thanks for this thread!  Just found Progress about 8 months ago and love it.  Thought the Havoc/Regression angle was great.  Haven't caught all the way up, but watched the newer chapters as well.  

On a side note, what's with the hate for WCPW?  I'm not overly familiar with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting caught up on Progress. On the third day of Super Strong Style 16. 

Top to bottom, Progress is probably the best promotion in the world. 

The Riddle vs Seven match on Night 1 is some high quality character stuff from Seven, including him casually discussing his "colleague" Brock Lesnar. 

British Strong Style's WWE trolling still cracks me up. I also *think* this was my first time seeing David Starr and he looked like a star. 

• Like 1

So I just watched Pete Dunne, Trent Seven & Tyler Bate wrestle Meiko Satomura, Cassandra Miyagi and Dash Chisako, in a match largely built around Dunne & Satomura clashing, in a disused factory in Wolverhampton. Wrestling is insane.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:22 PM, Linus said:

So I just watched Pete Dunne, Trent Seven & Tyler Bate wrestle Meiko Satomura, Cassandra Miyagi and Dash Chisako, in a match largely built around Dunne & Satomura clashing, in a disused factory in Wolverhampton. Wrestling is insane.

Add to that that Dunne/Seven/Bate are under WWE contract and it makes it even more insane.  What a wild time to be a fan.

Loved the Strong Style final. 

Also, the CCK vs BSS tag match from Chapter 50 well worth seeking out. BSS is a sleeper candidate for tag team of the year. They've been an headlining act  all over and have carried the company with in-ring and character work. 

As the strong working relationship between the two companies continues, another WWE-contracted wrestler will be appearing for ICW next weekend.

ICW announced today that Kassius Ohno will be challenging Joe Coffey for their World Heavyweight Championship at the O2 Academy in Newcastle on September 17th. The cameo in ICW will be the first time the former Chris Hero has wrestled outside of a WWE ring since returning to NXT earlier this year.

Ohno tweeted about facing Coffey again: "Finally. Two years in the making, it's the Knockout Artist vs. the Iron Man, round #3. Elbow? Or Lariat? See you on the 17th, @Joe_Coffey"

There will be representation from some of WWE's UK talent on the show as well, with the British Strong Style team of Tyler Bate & Trent Seven challenging The Marauders for their tag titles and Wolfgang facing Kid Fite.

Noam Dar previously appeared for ICW in July as he returned to the promotion to team with Sha Samuels against Coffey & Bram. Pete Dunne also defended his WWE United Kingdom Championship on that show, defeating Trent Seven, Wolfgang, and BT Gunn in a four-way match.

http://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/nxts-kassius-ohno-challenging-icw-world-title-242571

Been watching a ton of PROGRESS recently, what a great promotion. Maybe my favorite currently in the world.

The Jimmy Havoc stuff was amazing.

It's also changed my opinion on Will Ospreay. I used to think he was unbearable, but that has changed drastically the more I've seen of his PROGRESS work.

What are the other British promotions like? I'm curious as PROGRESS has got me hooked on this modern British indy wrestling. Are the other promotions just random matches put together like most other indys or are they more storyline driven like PROGRESS?

Is there a platform I can watch other organizations + PROGRESS? I know a lot of them have their separate Ondemand services, but I don't want to continue paying for other services as I'm already paying for PROGRESS Ondemand and the WWE Network.

Thanks in advance.

PROGRESS is pretty unique but I think the most similar, and somebody can back me up on this, would be Attack! Pro Wrestling and Fight Club: Pro. Unfortunately, they only do DVDs (both) and individual show purchases through Vimeo (Attack!). Rev Pro is more of a super dream match promotion but there are some overarching storylines with most of the British wrestlers. While it's not my favourite approach to wrestling, they have put on some of the best matches of the past few years. Shibata vs. Riddle was unreal. Hero did some shows and had a match with Ishii that got a lot of praise, though I feel played too much on their worst tendencies (lots of violent strikes and little nuance). What Culture has a promotion which is dream match indie style to the max. The presentation is shit and it's a bit soulless but they bring in top American and Japanese stars and a lot of it is free. It was pretty much all free for a while and now they've got their own subscription service and give away some of their matches, including their recent World Cup that featured some fun stuff from what I've seen.

So, there isn't anything like Highspots Network for the UK promotions, unfortunately. The German promotion WXW, however, is on the Highspots Network but they don't have much from Progress and Rev Pro beyond a few older shows each. WXW is pretty rad though. WALTER is one of the best going today and they have a good group of guys at the top of the card. 

Honestly, I feel like PROGRESS got a lot of their feel from PWG and added in British punk culture to the mix. PWG isn't trying to be self sustaining with a dojo or anything, but the vibe I get from PROGRESS is very PWG-esque.

I'd take PROGRESS over PWG any day.

PWG is more of the dream indy style matches and the storylines aren't really there as they're in PROGRESS. Also PROGRESS' in ring style barely goes as overboard as PWG does from start to finish, but I see what you mean.

Sucks there isn't one stop for all UK wrestling, but I'll keep my PROGRESS Ondemand subscription as I feel it's worth it.

6 hours ago, Edwin said:

I'd take PROGRESS over PWG any day.

Same.  I don't really see the Progress-PWG comparison.  Progress is sorta what PWG was in it's early days, when they ran twice a month and used mostly local SoCal talent.  I lost in interest when they stopped emphasizing storylines and local wrestlers and started becoming the "indy dream match showcase"  Though they're apparently much more profitable now, so I can't fault them for giving people what they want to see.

Progress is my probably my #2 promotion right now, behind NJPW.

3 hours ago, Oyaji said:

They've been doing long term storylines at least at the top of the cards for a while now. From the evolution of Roddy/Rushmore 2.0 to Best Friends vs. Leaders of the New School. 

Yeah, I've noticed that.  For a good while in the late 2000's/early 2010's, there were hardly any storylines at all.  From what little I've seen the past several years, there have been some storylines, but by then, I'd quit watching much.  I don't mind "movez" but PWG seems to be an overdose of it.  Just watching those hype videos they put out when a show gets released on DVD wear me out.  Since they don't use a lot of SoCal guys anymore and rely on more well-known lucha/indy/UK/whatever wrestlers, I really don''t feel like PWG offers me a lot other promotions don't,

2 hours ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Yeah, I've noticed that.  For a good while in the late 2000's/early 2010's, there were hardly any storylines at all.  From what little I've seen the past several years, there have been some storylines, but by then, I'd quit watching much.  I don't mind "movez" but PWG seems to be an overdose of it.  Just watching those hype videos they put out when a show gets released on DVD wear me out.  Since they don't use a lot of SoCal guys anymore and rely on more well-known lucha/indy/UK/whatever wrestlers, I really don''t feel like PWG offers me a lot other promotions don't,

The thing I find most similar between PWG and PROGRESS is the atmosphere. The fans of both companies blow away the support most if not all other promotions get. They are super smart and die hard fans, even if the PWG bunch can be a bit grating sometimes. Neither promotion doesn't take itself super seriously unless the story demands some gravity. PROGRESS flat out ripped off PWG's show naming concept too. The in-ring style is pretty similar though, as was earlier stated, PROGRESS isn't quite as overkill as PWG anyway. They rarely hit the point of no return that most PWG matches cross (when fans kind of groan at kick outs and pops for big moves and near falls weaken instead of intensify).