DVDVR Message Board

2017 UK DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

re: that Regal thing, I wonder if acknowledging that stuff would have any impact on the face/heel dynamics in WWE or if that's so far removed from WWE TV that it still doesn't matter. I guess I'd bet the latter?

• 2 weeks later...

*insert Randy Marsh "ectoplasm" gif here*

Can't fucking wait for that. Did they just start running shows again because their VOD service looks silly with a bunch of matches also found on YouTube on there and one event from 2015. Doesn't matter so long as I can watch Lee/Sekimoto. Please tell me that will be on their VOD site.

On 18/03/2017 at 9:07 PM, Sky Blue Sam said:

Feel like I've said this every month this year, but last night's Fight Club Pro show was so fucking good. Really ended on a double-whammy of terrific bouts - Nixon Newell vs Chris Brookes was absolutely bonkers, both of them really held nothing back for their final match against each other. Both of them ended up taking the Welsh Destroyer onto tacks. Then the main event of Dunne/Bate/Seven vs Banks/Ospreay/Wolfgang was so good. Honestly can't put into words how bonkers it was, but after a fun Bate/Ospreay sequence, it became absolute chaos in the best possible way. Dunne winning with an ode to William Regal Power of the Punch was a lovely touch.

This. Only just gotten around to watching the last 2 shows, Fight Club is my fave promotion anywhere nowadays. The Banks vs Dunne title match from the second night with all the run ins, storyline tie ins and the insane crowd reaction is perfect pro wrestling.

• 3 weeks later...

My local indy Southside Wrestling have their annual Speed King tournament taking place next weekend, line up is looking quite stacked. It's a cruiserweight tournament, with the champion having to try and retain his title to the end. This year Damian Dunne is the defending champion, with the rest of the field being Bubblegum, Chris Tyler, Kay Lee Ray, Robbie X, Kenny Williams, Morgan Webster, plus imports Shane Strickland, Zachary Wentz, Dezmond Xavier, Angelico and Suicide. It's always a good show each year, very much looking forward to it

The ITV World of Sport TV tapings scheduled for May 25th and 26th at the Preston Guild Hall have been postponed.

The story was first reported yesterday by Pro Wrestling Insider, but at the time, the talent was not aware and those at Impact didn't respond to questions regarding the story. Today, some talent has received word and Sha Samuels and Dave Mastiff went on Twitter talking about being available for independent dates that weekend.

The tapings are to be rescheduled and an announcement is expected shortly regarding this.

No direct reason has been given other than changes in the makeup of the project.

The plan was to tape ten shows, which would start airing in July, and then if ratings were successful, it would become a regular Saturday afternoon program. Because of the power of ITV, it would immediately become the most watched wrestling show in the country. For a comparison, the pilot show, airing on December 31st, a bad day for viewing, did 1.25 million viewers while Raw and SmackDown struggle to do 50,000 viewers, albeit in a far worst time slot, and with the limited penetration of Sky.

There is talks of delaying the project until the fall, suing soccer as the Saturday afternoon lead-in, similar to how it was done in the 70s and 80s. But that is not the primary reason for the delay.

20 hours ago, Sky Blue Sam said:

My local indy Southside Wrestling have their annual Speed King tournament taking place next weekend, line up is looking quite stacked. It's a cruiserweight tournament, with the champion having to try and retain his title to the end. This year Damian Dunne is the defending champion, with the rest of the field being Bubblegum, Chris Tyler, Kay Lee Ray, Robbie X, Kenny Williams, Morgan Webster, plus imports Shane Strickland, Zachary Wentz, Dezmond Xavier, Angelico and Suicide. It's always a good show each year, very much looking forward to it

I'll be there - I forego my aversion to leisure centres for this one show every year. And with Scarlet & Graves in, it's a must-see!

Yeah, always had a soft spot for the tournament - it was going to the first one in 2012 that got me back going to Brit shows regularly again. Interesting in hindsight how many of the first line up have gone of to do great things - PAC, Dar, Spud, Scurll, Haskins. 

The day show looks good too, kinda curious about seeing Harry Smith live. If you see someone at the shows in a sky blue Tom Zenk t-shirt, come say hi - it'll almost certainly be me.

Pretty much in love with British wrestling right now. Been loving every minute of Progress. First promotion to have that fun ECW vibe (or for a more topical reference, has the same level of fun that NXT had when it initially got big). 

The WWEUK tapings this weekend will be very interesting. There are rumours several people were trying to get out of their WOS contracts to switch to WWE, and this was one of the main reasons for the WOS postponement. No names mentioned, but I would suggest the ICW wrestlers are prime candidates. It's worth noting the Coffey brothers were missing from the press conferance...

• Like 1

Full blurb from the WON

In a move that has to open up a lot of questions regarding the long-term of the project, the ITV television tapings scheduled for 5/25 and 5/26 at the Guild Hall in Preston, England, have been canceled.

The news was first broken by PW Insider even before talent was told shortly after the news had surfaced. Neither ITV nor Anthem Entertainment, who were working together on the project, had commented on the story. On 5/2, there was an announcement in the form of a single tweet by Anthem that the tapings weren’t taking place and that fans could get ticket refunds, with the story being it was due to contract negotiations.

That reason was actually honest, in the sense it was because ITV and Anthem Entertainment failed to reach an agreement regarding the deal to start the promotion and host the shows. That much wasn’t stated. A number of sources have said that it was due to issues involving the failure to get the contract signed or reach an agreement on contract terms. Exactly what the hold-up was isn’t clear, but it had to do with being unable to reach an agreement on how much money each side was going to put into the project. It’s not clear if the partnership has fallen apart or that there were issues each side wasn’t able to agree on at this point and it led to dates being postponed.

“WOS live show dates in May are being rescheduled as a result of contract negotiations. All those who bought tickets will receive a refund.”

However, Ticketmaster sent an e-mail to all the ticket holders saying, “The event organisers have been in touch to let us know that the event on the 25th and 26th of May 2017 won’t be going ahead now. They’re hoping to arrange a new date very soon, so for the time being, please keep hold of your tickets–they’ll be valid for the new date once it’s been announced. As soon as we get any update on this, we’ll be back in touch to let you know.”

The next day, they sent out a new e-mail saying that the event organisers have asked that they refund ticket money so all ticket buyers would get a credit for the price on the credit card they purchased with, and then all ticket buyers would get a priority booking link when the shows are rescheduled.

There will be an attempt to do tapings in July or August, with the idea of the show starting on television during soccer season. There was a cultural belief that people would attend afternoon soccer matches throughout the country, and then come home and watch pro wrestling in that time slot during the 60s, 70s and 80s.

ITV was looking at Anthem to fund much of the costs and them providing the time slot and build from that time slot into a promotion with live events and merchandise. They were looking at a light-hearted wrestling show, a style different from what has been popular in the U.K. on the independent level, using mostly British talent and some foreigners.

The feeling from ITV is that they were able to do a TV pilot taping on their own, but to do a regular promotion, they didn’t have the wrestling experience to pull that off so wanted to work with a wrestling company, just as in the past. World of Sport wrestling in its heyday got tapes of matches provided by promoters, taped well in advance. But times have changed greatly since the late 80s, and the value of pro wrestling taped weeks or months earlier needing to deliver No. 2 network in the country caliber ratings is questionable. For that matter, even live coverage is.

ITV, the No. 2 television station in the country was going to start airing a weekly Saturday at 5 p.m. one-hour wrestling show in the same time slot pro wrestling occupied on the station during the 60s, 70s and much of the 80s. The idea was to have it start airing in July.

There was talk of slow ticket sales, blamed on high prices for tickets. There were area fans who noted that they can see most of the same wrestlers for the local Preston City Wrestling promotion for much less for most shows, and Preston City has been and is scheduled to run free shows in the market prior to the tapings.

However, we were told that ticket sales have nothing to do with it, and the cancellation was because Impact and ITV could not agree on terms of the deal.

When ITV was looking for an outside partner, Anthem and What Culture were the two companies suggested. They went with Anthem since they had more experience in producing weekly television.

I enjoy thinking you can get more money out of Anthem

WCPW will be streaming the Mexico qualifiers of their World Cup tournament in about 10 minutes

Watch the Mexican leg of the Pro Wrestling World Cup in full this coming Friday from 7pm, free on YouTube!

Also featuring the final WCPW appearance of Drew Galloway, as the former WCPW Champion takes on former Internet Champion Cody Rhodes.

Rey Mysterio vs Alberto El Patron
Penta El Zero M vs Rey Fenix
Drago vs El Ligero
El Hijo De Dos Caras vs Juventud Guerrera

Plus...

Drew Galloway vs Cody Rhodes
Travis Banks vs Rampage
Primate vs Scott Wainwright

Much more!

I have the FITE app on my phone (my shows were supposed to be on it but they are inconsistent/slow/lazy when uploading video of smalltime feds), and watch a lot of ICW. Anyone seen the match last month between Trent Seven and Jordan Devlin for the ICW Title? Devlin splits his head open on the floor (ironically after he split Burtch's head open in the UK tournament...and the announcers make good mention of it), then continues to wrestle a high-impact, head-dropping match for another 10-15 minutes while blood gushes down the back of his neck. So fucking gross and ridiculous.

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

And the field for this year's SSS16

C_5LmOWXYAQhk1m.jpg

I'll be shocked if Travis Banks isn't in the final. They have him really primed for a huge breakout. Might not win it since it's only 6 months or so until he too has to leave, but I suspect they'll try to work a title reign in there before then.

The promoter of Five Star Wrestling (that's running the 128 man tournament in a few months) has publicly offered CM Punk $1 million to come out of retirement and wrestle for him. Which will almost certainly be ignored, but it's a publicity stunt anyway.

What Culture cancelled all their Loaded Tapings due to Youtube no longer being a viable options (ie: money maker)

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1spt1kl

This is a decision that we absolutely did not want to make, but unfortunately it has been taken out of our hands by YouTube.

Owing to a change in their monetisation policy, which has now classified wrestling as “non-advertiser friendly”, it is no longer financially viable for WCPW to produce a weekly free show of the quality our fans deserve.

Since the change the WCPW YouTube channel has seen its advertising income decimated, with our recent match between Alberto El Patron and Rey Mysterio Jr earning only $44 despite receiving over 1,100,000 views. This is a reduction of around 98% in what would have been Loaded’s main source of revenue.

Without that money, it is simply not possible to organise, set-up, manage, produce and edit a free-to-air show on the scale we had intended, and we’ve been left with no choice but to alter our business model. We’re not alone in this either, as other promotions, journalists, and fans have seen their ability to make a living from their content jeopardised entirely by this change.

While we support YouTube in their endeavours to make the site a safer and more tolerant place to visit, we reject entirely the classification of wrestling as a whole as “inappropriate content”. As such, in the coming weeks WCPW will be partnering with other like-minded individuals and organisations to start a campaign aimed at reversing this sweeping change.

This is same issue we talked about in the US Indy thread a couple of months ago