DVDVR Message Board

2017 UK DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

I saw that earlier and wasn't sure where to mention it.  But it's interesting that for all the talk about fucked up shit in Hollywood (in the movies section) this happens.  The 19-year-old's account of what happened is especially distressing.  Fuck Adam and I hope he gets the punishment that's coming to him.

• 2 weeks later...

By Paul Jordan on 2017-11-07 16:18:00
WWE.com has an article highlighting the talent that took part in this past week's NXT tryouts in Manchester England. Those names include:

-British wrestler Andrew Inch, an 11-year veteran who competes out of Scotland under the alias Andy Wild

-21-year-old Omari Hockel, a 6-foot-4 speedster who wrestles in the Fight Club: PRO and Lucha Forever organizations, among others

-Decorated amateur grappler Chinu Sandhu. The 275-pounder’s accomplishments include being an eight-time British wrestling champion and a bronze medalist in the 2014 Commonwealth Games

-“Big T Justice” Tosan Adeogun, a rugged giant from Preston, England, who stands nearly seven feet tall and weighs more than 300 pounds

-Jackie Polo and Mark Coffey, a championship tag team from Glasgow known collectively as Polo Promotions

-6-foot-3, 240-pound Iestyn John Rees, a 12-year veteran from Gloucester, England, who has won heavyweight titles throughout the U.K.

-Donna Dale, aka Little Miss Roxy, a fire-eating former gymnast who has competed professionally for three years, including for English promotions Absolute Wrestling and Tidal Wrestling

-24-year-old Chris Wareing, aka “Smash Mouth” Chris Ridgeway, a hard-hitting junior heavyweight from Liverpool who counts current WWE PC Coach Johnny Moss among his mentors

-Rough-and-tumble independent wrestler Jason Melrose, better known to ring fans as “The Primate” Jason Prime

-Six-year veteran Samantha Hunter, aka Sammii Jayne, a reigning women’s champion in Spain and England

-“The Pride of Wales” Eddie Dennis, a 6-foot-5 grappler who has competed for PROGRESS Wrestling and Revolution Pro

-Ashton Smith of Kingston, Jamaica, a former Preston City Wrestling Cruiserweight Champion and the reigning FutureShock Wrestling Champion

-“Screwface” James Ahmed, a 14-year veteran who competes in England, Germany and Denmark

-Scottish high-flyer Alan Niddrie, aka Kenny Williams, a three-time holder of Insane Championship Wrestling’s Zero-G Title

-6-foot-9, 285-pound Charlie Spooner, aka Charlie Winston, an independent wrestler from Norwich, England, who has also wrestled in the Canadian Maritimes

-23-year-old Courtney Stewart, a Glaswegian kickboxer-turned-wrestler who has competed in the U.K., the United States and Japan

-Wesley James Male, aka “Ugandan Warrior” Nsereko, a five-year veteran originally from Kampala, Uganda

-6-foot-10 kickboxer Colin George, who is 16-9 in pro fights

-“Sexy Kev” Kevin Lloyd, a 178-pound former bodybuilder from Warrington, England

-Michael McLuckie, aka Michael Chase, a 10-year ring veteran and a mainstay of central Scotland’s Reckless Intent Wrestling promotion

-Eight-year veteran Nicky Griffin, who has won titles throughout England under the name Dick Riley

-Danny Duggan, a 212-pound British wrestler with three years’ experience

-23-year-old “Sammy Smooth” Samuel Stoker, a champion in the London independent circuit

-Ryan Camerford, aka Jack Sexsmith, a frequent competitor in PROGRESS Wrestling

-Mixed martial artist Jake Constantinou, of Leicester, England. With a background in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, Constantinou is 2-0 in pro fights and 3-1 in amateur competition

-Folakemi Lawal, a 26-year-old bruiser who also goes by the name “Voodoo Queen” Amarah. She has competed in promotions including Bellatrix Female Warriors and Wrestle Force

-Kelly Robinson, better known as Kasey Owens, a seven-year veteran based out of Glasgow and a former ICW Women’s Champion.

My lot in life seems to be to come into this thread and tell you of ridiculous dream matches that the UK scene throws up every other day. Why ruin that?

Pro-Wrestling EVE announced AJA KONG vs VIPER for May 5th next year...

(Oh, and Emi Sakura vs Meiko Satomura was a little bit good)

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, RIPPA said:

-Donna Dale, aka Little Miss Roxy, a fire-eating former gymnast who has competed professionally for three years, including for English promotions Absolute Wrestling and Tidal Wrestling

She was Viper's preferred punching bag in WCPW.  If anything, she will sell like a million dollars and is not shy about taking bumps that she probably shouldn't if she plans on not being in a wheelchair by her 30th birthday.

On 15/11/2017 at 2:07 AM, Marty Sugar said:

He's just a random dude in a singlet that is apparently batshit crazy, from what I've seen.

Screwface is UK slang for someone with a mean face/scowl. That's a pretty cool wrestling nickname actually.

First time I came across the term was the verse on this at 1.50:

7 hours ago, Library Dude said:

Screwface is UK slang for someone with a mean face/scowl. That's a pretty cool wrestling nickname actually.

I have only heard Jamaicans use that slang but yea, screwface = scowl.

Fight Club: PRO have finalised the field for Friday's Infinity tournament: Omari, Dan Moloney, Jordan Devlin, Kay Lee Ray, Mark Davis, Kyle Fletcher, Millie McKenzie & last year's winner Travis Banks.

Four singles matches lead into a four-way final, a reverse of how they usually do it. Banks beat Trent Secen last year and then went into beat Pete Dunne for the title in the culmination of a year-long storyline.

This year the rise of Omari and the stuttering progress of Dan Moloney are the stories, and the champion is Chris Brookes.

The really fun thing to note is that just 12 months ago, that would be a really underwhelming line up with a lot of unknown names, and now that reads like a real all star show. The speed that people like Aussie Open, Devlin, Omari and Millie have been able to make a name for themselves this year is testament to how healthy the scene is.

• Like 1

Catching up on Progress. Chapter 56 was fun, if inessential. British Strong Style going full babyface was fun and their match with Sexy Starr was a good comedy match (complete with Sexsmith and Starr continually snapping and going for the armbar). 

Banks vs Lee was solid, obviously, but not either guy's best. 

Matt Sydal missed his flight to Europe this weekend because of "traffic", and now he won't return the $1200 deposit he was paid because he doesn't have it. Scottish promotions are going out of their way to say he won't be booked there anytime soon.

"Dude, it was an act of God. You got to sell tickets off my name!"

The more I see of Sydal, the more I don't think he's good people. He's also bland as fuck and now that there 100 guys that can do flippy shit he does just as well or better, he's pretty irrelevant.

• Like 1

I did, man. I did and that's like the least annoying I've seen him. I was thinking more of him shitting all over Naylor. He had a point about Naylor dominating the conversation and overblowing his role in FCW but he was such a prick about it the entire time.