DVDVR Message Board

Heads Up Battle 2015 Ki v. Rey V. Reigns v. Lesnar

Phil Schneider

I'm not gonna pay $6 for one match, so I'll have to take your word on Rey/Ki (which does sound awesome).

Brock/Roman was neck and neck for my WWE MOTY last year. Both guys really lay it in stiff all match. Brock gets hard-wayed a couple different times and delivers a Stan Hansen quality lariat to Roman on the apron. You had the original and totally organic "suplex city" moment. Both guys sell really well and tell the story with their facial expressions throughout. Roman knows he overmatched but isn't gonna give up, and Brock goes from "happy to oblige more beatings" to "alright this is getting old" to "the ref should stop this because he's out on his feet." The ring post spot was simple, but totally believable in the way it changed the momentum 180 degrees. As always, blood at the right time makes any match better. Even the Rollins run-in fit nicely as it left it to the audience's imagination who would win a clean match. Weasel-y Seth came in fresh and still almost got caught, but was able to curb stomp his way to fittingly cheap heel win. It's tough to pull off the non-finish in a way that helps a match, but this is a rare example where it does.

Edit: Ok, fuck it, I'm a completist and who cares about $6 right?

Low Ki vs. Rey was a really good "past their prime legends" dream match. I liked the early knuckle lock sequence, and most of the matwork that could've been filler was pretty inspired. Ki had some good counters to Rey's offense, especially the 619 counter where he just pulls the rope and Rey flies to the floor. Brilliant in its simplicity and the bump Rey took was sick. Ripping at the mask to set up the warrior's way was another good spot. The struggle for the top rope sequence that set up the finish was well done both guys sold the toll of the match well.

Overall, much like Phil opted for the match he was at live, I will do the same as I'm leaning towards Brock/Roman. The modern day irresistible force meeting the immovable object (with a twist from a slimy cheater) resonated better as a story with me, and there was ever so slightly less down time in their match. Although, the technical complaints are negligible in both matches I think, and it really just all comes down to personal taste.

Considering the premise of this activity is "Phil watches hundreds of matches then picks his favorite as the starting point," it's not surprising that challengers win less frequently than at house shows. I'm just happy a couple of my noms have gotten to split decision territory.

I actually really like the finish. It was the two things left to be done with the briefcase, doing it at Mania and doing it during a match. I wish to hell that had been the end of money in the bank, but it was a perfect setup. 

Now why the fuck they didn't follow through with Reigns/Lesnar Ii and instead ran Reigns/Trips at 33... That's a mystery.

Yeah I think the finish worked and was effective due to happening in the main event of the biggest show of the year. What's funny is that Phil is reacting negatively to this WM finish, while I loved it; and I am reacting negatively to the next year's WM MacMahons involvement, while he didn't care and it took 6 months for me to love it. Pro Wrestling Friendship. 

On Saturday, December 31, 2016 at 6:45 PM, Go2Sleep said:

Considering the premise of this activity is "Phil watches hundreds of matches then picks his favorite as the starting point," it's not surprising that challengers win less frequently than at house shows. I'm just happy a couple of my noms have gotten to split decision territory.

Especially when the challengers are tomato cans like Putski/Zbyszko.

I hated the Mania finish because it resulted in Seth Rollins being champion.