DVDVR Message Board

SDL 12/27/16 Presents 'Wildcard Finals'

Niners Fan in CT

I think it's the start of the next in WWE's patented worky/shooty storylines that should give The Masked Man a masked chubby.

Styles gets a lot of cheers, and I see Cena in a "deluded babyface" role the way Bret Hart was when it was Canada vs. U.S. Except in this case, Canada is Cena's fans.

Cena/AJ on Talking Smack felt like a cocky, brash Cena just blowing off everything AJ had to say. It didn't help that it seemed like AJ was stumbling through his promo, maybe because he just defended his title against two people, but I've never thought AJ was especially talented on the microphone either.

Either way, I see this as setting up Cena/Undertaker at WrestleMania. Cena would be the defending champion, trying to be #2 to end the Streak, and Undertaker would put up his career. This would require Undertaker to win the Royal Rumble, or some kind of match to be the #1 contender at WrestleMania if a RAW guy wins, so I don't know how feasible that is. I know that's the general consensus 'round da webz but it feels like all the pieces are falling into place. Would it be weird for WWE to turn AJ face and have him be Bryan's proxy against The Miz in the lead-up to WrestleMania? I feel like that could work really well. /armchairbooker

AJ going from being world champion to feuding with The Miz would be a major step down. He's had an awesome year and doesn't deserve to be pushed to the back back burner because it's the road to Wrestlemania, so it's time to trot out Taker and the other part timers.

I feel like Cena/Taker would have all the makings of the forced WWE epics that I hate so much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Cena/AJ on Talking Smack felt like a cocky, brash Cena just blowing off everything AJ had to say. It didn't help that it seemed like AJ was stumbling through his promo, maybe because he just defended his title against two people, but I've never thought AJ was especially talented on the microphone either.

Either way, I see this as setting up Cena/Undertaker at WrestleMania. Cena would be the defending champion, trying to be #2 to end the Streak, and Undertaker would put up his career. This would require Undertaker to win the Royal Rumble, or some kind of match to be the #1 contender at WrestleMania if a RAW guy wins, so I don't know how feasible that is. I know that's the general consensus 'round da webz but it feels like all the pieces are falling into place. Would it be weird for WWE to turn AJ face and have him be Bryan's proxy against The Miz in the lead-up to WrestleMania? I feel like that could work really well. /armchairbooker

Elimination Chamber is the Smackdown PPV in Feb.

Great show, no bad matches. 

Cena did a pretty good job killing the Punk chants too. Man those chants are just sad now. Why not chant for Mario Mancini or Brian Costello, they are just as credible.

Kudos to Orton for taking the Alpha finish clean. No nonsense with a roll up. 

Miz has improved so much since they fully embraced he is not s tough guy and wins by luck. I might renew my Network subscription to see Maryse beat up Renee Young. 

I think Corbin has a world of potential. I wish they would bear him with Bray to give him a bit more personality and his gimmick fits. The Triple Threat was well done without the stuff that normally bugs me about WWE Triple Threats. That being one guy getting knocked out large portions of the match. Corbin was taken out in a big move so it meant something. I think he missed his cue on breaking up the super kick.

I wish Dolph would get a real title run. He gets over when he is pushed and the audience believes in him. 

I first saw AJ Styles on a weak VHF channel wrestling in a burnt out school house. So seeing him as WWE Champion (the one Bruno, Hulk and Austin held) makes me happy while being surreal. 

Also Holey Moley that Flatliner/Zig Zag was bananas.

• Like 1

Meltzer said that La Luchadora was going to be Deonna Purrazzo (and probably was but he isn't 100% sure) but it was pretty much they were using a body under the mask and then introduce someone like Mickie James as it

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

AJ going from being world champion to feuding with The Miz would be a major step down. He's had an awesome year and doesn't deserve to be pushed to the back back burner because it's the road to Wrestlemania, so it's time to trot out Taker and the other part timers.

I feel like Cena/Taker would have all the makings of the forced WWE epics that I hate so much.

Two points: 

1) The Miz has been on absolute fire, who's all but dared Bryan to come out of retirement.  He's only the (arguably) #2 heel in the company because the #1 has the big strap. Turning AJ is awkward, but this is the WWE and - for good or bad - Mania season means the regulars step down while the legends have a 'dream match.'  So, barring DB returning, Miz-AJ would be fine, all the smart fans in the crowd cheer for Styles anyway.

2) To be fair, Taker was Cena's first major program. Revisiting it 10+ years later in a Mania match that has never happened is perfectly acceptable and frankly their only real option. Given the current Smackdown roster, the only ones worthy of the Taker match are Styles (Taker probably can't work at AJ's required speed), Orton (already done), and Wyatt (already done). I have zero fucking desire to see Taker-Ziggler or Taker-Corbin.  

I'd honestly just prefer Taker-Cena to get it finally done.  Let Styles work another amazing match with someone else for the World title.  I absolutely do not think Undertaker should be anywhere near the World Title at this point. 

I think Taker-Cena is like Taker-Sting in the sense that people are more excited for the buildup than they would be for the actual match. It would be cool to see them standing in the ring together, cutting promos, and would probably make for some pretty insane hype videos, but then - to quote Bruce Prichard - "that damn bell has to ring..."

• Like 1

I like watching you guys come around to Corbin, saying things that many of us said about him back when he was in NXT. Someone pointed to working with AJ and figuring things out, but Corbin's been awesome for awhile now. I think working with guys like AJ will only help him even more, but I don't really see him doing anything particularly differently at this point compared to his later NXT days. Dude is awesome.

I also LOVED that Cena promo at the beginning. More than Terminator Cena, more than serious promo Cena, I think this was Cena at his best. He's just had these little tweaks to his character since moving to SDL and they've all made him much more interesting to watch. Him saying he's getting his title shot because he's John Cena was brilliant. I didn't think he was overtly heelish or anything, but that's who Cena should be. Loved the handshake deal at the end with him and AJ too.

It's worth repeating, but SDL has been such a great, great, great wrestling program. I know Vince is still the guy in charge, but to bring it back to NXT, you can see Ryan Ward's fingerprints all over this show. Maybe Ward just knows how to work with Vince and Vince is more receptive to Ward's ideas than he has been to others.

• Like 1

You can set up Cena/Taker without involving the title.  Cena can cut a promo about how he's back full time and isn't someone who just shows up once a year to collect a paycheck like The Undertaker, which naturally pisses Taker off.  He comes out and says it's his yard and he'll show up when he pleases and if Cena has a problem with that, they can settle it in the ring.  The shit talking and pull-aparts escalate, and since they've talked so much about "part time vs full time" in the setup, the match becomes a loser must retire match.  I have no interest in seeing Taker or Cena wrestle anyone that I actually care about, so put the two of them in a match to keep them from titles or people that can better serve their talents elsewhere.

I also think they're setting up Bray-Orton for Mania, but as overloaded as Mania is already going to be (9 titles to defend, plus all the other shit they've got to get in) they might pull the trigger on that sooner.

• Like 1

I like watching you guys come around to Corbin, saying things that many of us said about him back when he was in NXT. Someone pointed to working with AJ and figuring things out, but Corbin's been awesome for awhile now. I think working with guys like AJ will only help him even more, but I don't really see him doing anything particularly differently at this point compared to his later NXT days. Dude is awesome.

Like Braun I think the key is to go slow with him and don't put him in a situation where he will look bad. I think he is one of the best prospects they have and he has this serial killer charisma to him. 

17 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said that La Luchadora was going to be Deonna Purrazzo (and probably was but he isn't 100% sure) but it was pretty much they were using a body under the mask and then introduce someone like Mickie James as it

I thought it might be a case of a stand in. The body type was just too off from any of the women it would have sense to be.

On 12/29/2016 at 6:40 PM, Victator said:

Having watched Shaq in those "The General" commercials, I think he would job to Braun for s new stereo. 

From what I've heard, Shaq basically lives off of his endorsement money. He's said that he doesn't want to touch much of the money he made actually playing and that's his nest egg for later in life and to leave to his kids. Smart dude.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

From what I've heard, Shaq basically lives off of his endorsement money. He's said that he doesn't want to touch much of the money he made actually playing and that's his nest egg for later in life and to leave to his kids. Smart dude.

I prefer to think he really believes in the General and wonders why he has not met him. 

On 12/29/2016 at 3:24 PM, HumanChessgame said:

You can set up Cena/Taker without involving the title.  Cena can cut a promo about how he's back full time and isn't someone who just shows up once a year to collect a paycheck like The Undertaker

Are we sure American dollars are currency in Death Valley? Surely goods and services are exchanged for souls. 

On 12/29/2016 at 4:14 PM, odessasteps said:

According to Cagematch, they have only ever had 1 singles match and 2 tags.

Which one singles match was that? Vengeance '03? The August 7, 2003 SmackDown? Or maybe it was the June 24, 2004 SmackDown?