DVDVR Message Board

SDL 12/27/16 Presents 'Wildcard Finals'

Niners Fan in CT

19 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Watching Talking Smack. So Cena is just a full blown heel now correct?  There's nothing redeemable about the character... now he's making excuses for losing at SummerSlam.  AJ beat him clean and has ran over everyone in 2016. He's getting huge face reactions. Why would anyone want to boo AJ Styles.

How is it people always manage to pick out the one thing like this and ignore everything else where he is still respectful to Styles while Style himself acts like a general asshole?

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

Bliss is good at the little character things but there is very little evidence to support her being good at the big thing and that's wrestling. She's still very green.

Yea I dig Alexa but she's still not quite there with the in-ring stuff. I've still enjoyed the storyline though and liked that we now have a second La Luchadora. I didn't see that coming.

Sucks that we got so little on the Nattie/Nikki front but sounds like we're in for a confrontation soon. 

4 minutes ago, Eivion said:

How is it people always manage to pick out the one thing like this and ignore everything else where he is still respectful to Styles while Style himself acts like a general asshole?

Even when AJ beat the hell out of Ellsworth it was deserved. Let's look at Cena for a second

- Loses to AJ clean.

- Takes his ball and goes home.

- Comes back out of nowhere and demands to be put in a title match.

- Says he's tired of the new era (i.e. guys who have worked their ass off all year)

- Attempts to big league AJ.

- Makes excuses for why he hasn't beaten AJ.

- Whines about backstage gossip and claims only people like JBL have taken his best shot (despite AJ Styles being the same age and having more wear and tear on him than he does)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Even when AJ beat the hell out of Ellsworth it was deserved. Let's look at Cena for a second

- Loses to AJ clean.

- Says he's tired of the new era (i.e. guys who have worked their ass off all year)

- Whines about backstage gossip and claims only people like JBL have taken his best shot (despite AJ Styles being the same age and having more wear and tear on him than he does)

Sounds like every WWE babyface ever since 1984, tbh

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

The "Rusev is a face in every feud" posts are bordering on self-parody at this point, in spite of occasional glimmers of merit. 

Cena was fine on Talking Smack. He has his own perception of events, just like an actual living person. Fuck him, right? 

Sure, you can have your own perception of events, but when you are wrong, it is bordering on cognitive dissonance. 

• Like 4

The announcers clearly didn't know the Alexis arm thing was gonna happen, cuz they freaked out too. But it is strange she has no wrestling chemistry with Becky. they were missing moves left and right. 

Surprised they were pulling the trigger on Randy Orton, but they have him turning on the Wyatt's on the house shows of late. They couldn't delay that much longer.

Corbin has started to learn, working with A.J. and Dolph has been helping him. 

I thought the Luchadora was gonna be Tamina Snuka, but the eye's and nose don't match up. wasn't her. 

13 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

- Loses to AJ clean.

He said AJ beat him clean and that it was AJ's year. He left for filming obligations, not sure how that is taking his ball and going home. How was offering a handshake big leaguing someone? How is wanting to prove he can still go whining? Also how do you know AJ has more wear and tear? Seriously this just ridiculous. Its alright to just like AJ more and not want him to lose. This whole I'm going to twist nearly everything Cena said to make AJ a face in this feud is just ridiculous. Even if you think Cena's character is an asshole its ridiculous to deny AJ isn't one as well. Yes, AJ beat Cena clean, but he cheated to beat Ambrose multiple times, brought Ellsworth into WWE in the first place to have an easy victory, and has constantly mocked Ellsworth for how he looked. And he has just been a general arrogant jackass. There are plenty of reasons to boo AJ. Not saying you have like Cena but stop with the weird denial. Just say you don't want AJ to lose.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Sure, you can have your own perception of events, but when you are wrong, it is bordering on cognitive dissonance. 

"I was injured most of the year. Like most things in my life, my rushing back from injury (misguided though it may have been) was done out of love for this business."

"I wasn't trying to big league you. Merely show you the respect you've earned."

"I hear what people are saying, but I love this place. As a veteran who's being written off, I'm happy to have something to prove."

And he admitted to saying disingenuous things to bait Dwayne. So his talk on SmackDown regarding the New Era can be seen in a similar light. 

I may be reading between the lines. But once again, after seeing the way people have talked about Reigns and Rusev the last year, who could cry foul? 

22 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

Might be Mickie James now that I think about it.

That definitely wasn't Mickie under the mask. That doesn't mean it couldn't turn out to be Mickie later on, but I don't see Mickie coming back as a heel. 

I'll say it's Naomi, no longer dancing in a glow in the dark suit.

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

That definitely wasn't Mickie under the mask. That doesn't mean it couldn't turn out to be Mickie later on, but I don't see Mickie coming back as a heel. 

I'll say it's Naomi, no longer dancing in a glow in the dark suit.

I thought it was Naomi based on the flesh tone and lips.  The hair threw me off, but maybe she dyed it brunette recently?

2 minutes ago, Cleavy said:

I thought it was Naomi based on the flesh tone and lips.  The hair threw me off, but maybe she dyed it brunette recently?

I'll say there's a better chance of Naomi dying her hair than Mickie James in blackface.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Eivion said:

He said AJ beat him clean and that it was AJ's year.

I don't want to quote the whole box but I'll address most of these things. First, yes he did say AJ beat him but he made a hundred excuses. 'Oh that was different, my arm was messed up."  Everyone is dealing with nagging injuries. AJ Styles messed up his back early in the year. He wrestled through it and went on the become the WWE Champion. He defeated Cena twice. If Cena really wanted to pay AJ Styles respect he would have been there on Samckdown Live following SummerSlam and been a man and walked up to AJ and said "You were the better man last night" like Daniel Bryan did with Roman Reigns. But Cena didn't do that. Sure, he had film obligations but that doesn't stop him from a simple congrats. Furthermore, he's the one who started the bickering about part timers with The Rock. Now that he's in The Rock's position he is pissed off that guys are saying the same stuff about him? So he leaves for six months. AJ runs through the roster. Now that it's Royal Rumble time "Hey guys, I'm back!" magically reappears and wants a shot at the title all while making excuses for SummerSlam and saying that guys like JBL wrestled him when he was healthy. But newsflash Cena, AJ Styles has been wrestling for 15+ years as well and is the same age as you.

So yeah, I do think Cena was being an asshole and AJ is right.  

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

"I was injured most of the year. Like most things in my life, my rushing back from injury (misguided though it may have been) was done out of love for this business."

"I wasn't trying to big league you. Merely show you the respect you've earned."

"I hear what people are saying, but I love this place. As a veteran who's being written off, I'm happy to have something to prove."

And he admitted to saying disingenuous things to bait Dwayne. So his talk on SmackDown regarding the New Era can be seen in a similar light. 

I may be reading between the lines. But once again, after seeing the way people have talked about Reigns and Rusev the last year, who could cry foul? 

The issue here is that he ignores when he has been defeated. Like this is a huge issue with John Cena as a character. You can't beat the guy even when you beat the guy. AJ beat him clean in the middle of the ring and as soon as AJ brings up that he did, John Cena brings up a shoulder injury as if AJ has not had nagging injuries before and after Summerslam. It was not even part of Summerslam narrative that John Cena was unhealthy or injured. No mention of it, really until tonight. It comes off as an excuse and he will not accept that AJ not only beat him, but kicked out of his Super Death Finisher. Like what kind of Face says, "well I was hurt so that did not matter?"

It is sort of like when Kevin Owens beat him and John Cena immediately started demasculating him and moved the goal posts stating that he only beat him once.

When John Cena lost a feud legitimately, it should have sparked something in the character and yet, John is playing it off like it is nothing. Everything always is played in his favor. "Spent an entire year calling out the Rock as a part timer" "Immediately regrets that he did now that he is essentially a part timer." 

• Like 3

If only we had an announcer today that could call out Cena for being a hypocrite the way Bobby Heenan and Jesse Ventura used to for Hogan. 

JBL and Corey Graves being heels sometimes, then not at other times just doesn't work. WWE needs a strict heel announcer again, but certainly not Michael Cole as a voice for Vince to shit on his audience. Let's hope we never have to relive that. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Kyuubi said:

The issue here is that he ignores when he has been defeated. Like this is a huge issue with John Cena as a character. You can't beat the guy even when you beat the guy. AJ beat him clean in the middle of the ring and as soon as AJ brings up that he did, John Cena brings up a shoulder injury as if AJ has not had nagging injuries before and after Summerslam. It was not even part of Summerslam narrative that John Cena was unhealthy or injured. No mention of it, really until tonight. It comes off as an excuse and he will not accept that AJ not only beat him, but kicked out of his Super Death Finisher. Like what kind of Face says, "well I was hurt so that did not matter?"

It is sort of like when Kevin Owens beat him and John Cena immediately started demasculating him and moved the goal posts stating that he only beat him once.

When John Cena lost a feud legitimately, it should have sparked something in the character and yet, John is playing it off like it is nothing. Everything always is played in his favor. "Spent an entire year calling out the Rock as a part timer" "Immediately regrets that he did now that he is essentially a part timer." 

AJ's nagging injuries are somehow equal to something that put Cena on the shelf for months and cost him his first Mania match in a decade? 

As far as retconning the significance of that injury or his insults towards Dwayne, I'm more than willing to buy it. Because a) people gain perspective over time, and b) we have a match worth promoting as a definitive encounter in a few weeks which is easier to promote if we haven't already seen the definitive encounter. 

It's not perfect. You may not find it graceful. But it suits my tastes. 

9 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't want to quote the whole box but I'll address most of these things. First, yes he did say AJ beat him but he made a hundred excuses. 'Oh that was different, my arm was messed up."  Everyone is dealing with nagging injuries. AJ Styles messed up his back early in the year. He wrestled through it and went on the become the WWE Champion. He defeated Cena twice. If Cena really wanted to pay AJ Styles respect he would have been there on Samckdown Live following SummerSlam and been a man and walked up to AJ and said "You were the better man last night" like Daniel Bryan did with Roman Reigns. But Cena didn't do that. Sure, he had film obligations but that doesn't stop him from a simple congrats. Furthermore, he's the one who started the bickering about part timers with The Rock. Now that he's in The Rock's position he is pissed off that guys are saying the same stuff about him? So he leaves for six months. AJ runs through the roster. Now that it's Royal Rumble time "Hey guys, I'm back!" magically reappears and wants a shot at the title all while making excuses for SummerSlam and saying that guys like JBL wrestled him when he was healthy. But newsflash Cena, AJ Styles has been wrestling for 15+ years as well and is the same age as you.

So yeah, I do think Cena was being an asshole and AJ is right.  

All I can say is the level of hyperbole and fantasy here to turn AJ face is ridiculous. Like its not that I don't think there isn't legitimate criticism, but you really do go too far with it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ramo2653 said:

I thought that was Naomi in the costume when they had a closeup of the mask after the match. But the figure didn't match up. Also the gloves threw me off.

I'm fairly certain it's Tamina.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Yeah, Cena is Hulk Hogan minus the dumpster fire of a personal life. Somebody needs to be Sid to Cena's Hogan, costing him the title, thus keeping him away from it longer.

It's hard to find a guy that could replicate Sid's intensity and how the fans clamored for him, even when he would be a heeling it.

I am curious who the fans would side with in a Cena vs Reigns feud.