DVDVR Message Board

SDL 12/27/16 Presents 'Wildcard Finals'

Niners Fan in CT

One of the better bits of TV they've done in ages. AJ Styles is the best wrestler on the planet and it's amazing that they book him as strong as they do. When the heel run as champ is over he's gonna be a gigantic babyface (well, he basically is already).

• Like 2

I felt the American Alpha title win a little anti-climatic. I'm a fan, but they only get to win the titles for the first time on the main stage once and a disposable four-way wouldn't be my first choice. Good showing though. I just think it could've been way more.

I find it odd when Cena offered a handshake, the woman in front literally shook her head as if to say, "don't shake it." 

That is how you know you are over in the WWE. They literally booed a handshake.

Great show. Glad that Alpha got the win. Surprised Randy ate the pin.

Clearly that was Naomi dressed up in Becky's Lucha costume. Alexa being double jointed is the quality heel fuckery I need on my TV.

I kind of wanted Miz to defend, but I guess you got to save something for the PPV. Can't have all titles defended on TV.

2 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

I felt the American Alpha title win a little anti-climatic. I'm a fan, but they only get to win the titles for the first time on the main stage once and a disposable four-way wouldn't be my first choice. Good showing though. I just think it could've been way more.

This.  Week after week they've been made to look good only to lose or get screwed some way or another so I'm glad they won before being jobbed into irrelevance.  I was also expecting the Orton dissention in the Wyatts to not happen till closer to Mania but it is what it is.

Title match was great.  I've always found Corbin to be a slug, but he actually looked good here.  Granted he was in there with guys who can make most people look good, but he really held his own.  There were a lot of creative spots and I marked big when Corbin got put through the table.  I just hope Cena doesn't win the belt at the Rumble.

16 minutes ago, Hagan said:

One of the better bits of TV they've done in ages. AJ Styles is the best wrestler on the planet and it's amazing that they book him as strong as they do. When the heel run as champ is over he's gonna be a gigantic babyface (well, he basically is already).

AJ Styles is the best I've seen since 1997 Bret. All around amazing.

Edited by Wyld Samurai
  • Like 2

Excellent Main Event! They protected Corbin well but he totally stepped up as well.

The tag team match was very good too. Big surprise with the title change. I hope they're not rushing the Wyatts breakup.

Alexa and Becky are hopefully done wrestling each other because they have zero chemistry and the match tonight was really bad.

I'm hoping AJ retains at the Rumble and Cena chases him until WrestleMania, then finally wins the belt.  

That probably screws with Vince's plan to run WrestleMania with mostly part-timers, but I can't imagine a "dream" opponent out there for Cena that would interest me more than AJ.  I have virtually no interest in Cena-Taker at this point.

Just now, Wyld Samurai said:

AJ Styles is the most complete performer since 1997 Bret.

Yeah, I can't see him losing March Madness.

Ways to turn him Face? Have Daniel turn against him. And yes, I do believe AJ should be the one to beat Punk's title reign. Daniel gets increasingly jealous of AJ's success and first year when he literally had to scratch and claw in the WWE. Have Miz be the one to put that notion in his head that AJ is his replacement and WWE Universe does not care about you anymore or something. Bryan had always been the true People's Champion in the WWE and might become resentful that the guy he opened doors for to get in the WWE is using Bryan's departure for his gain(or something like that). AJ becomes more sympathetic even though he really does not need it. In all of his feuds, he is only  heel because guys dicked him around. Ambrose hung him by his balls so AJ kicked his the first opportunity he got. Ambrose used Ellsworth to embarrass AJ. No one felt sorry when it blew up in his face. He cheats when the rules allow or when the Face had it coming. He is pretty much Hulk Hogan. The only time AJ was a heel was when he was with the Bullet Club and even that was justified.

I want AJ to win the Rumble and Wrestlemania. Cena gets sent to Raw, wins the Universal Title from whomever.  AJ holds the belt until he beats CM Punk.

• Like 2

Eh, I like American Alpha, but they're just not that over yet. It feels like they're rushing through their spots in a manner conducive to not screwing up. I was interested in seeing where the Wyatts go, and instead we get a rushed title change from yet another babyface entity that hasn't overcome nearly enough odds to be portrayed as "odds-overcomers." Main event was good. Bliss and Becky are both good, but they aren't good together. Is weird. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Title match was great.  I've always found Corbin to be a slug, but he actually looked good here.  Granted he was in there with guys who can make most people look good, but he really held his own.  

Corbin is better than a lot of people give him credit for being, and has been for a while now.

• Like 2

Tag titles match was fun. So damn happy AA are champs now. Hopefully we get long match between them and the Usos for the belts soon. I get the comments on their win being anti-climatic, but if we are being honest they aren't super over in the first place. There was never going to be a big moment type of win for them like there was for DIY in NXT.

Women's Title match was a little off at times, but solid overall. Alexa's arm looking disjointed was sick and kind of awesome. There is no way in hell she isn't double-jointed. Not the happiest she retained as I'm not sure who there is for her to face.

The Miz segments were nice and short.

That triple threat was damn good. Corbin was on fire when things really got going. The mistiming for breaking the pin was disappointing, but AJ was amazing to have noticed that. This a great breakout match for Corbin. I suppose Cena's handshake was the beginning of Styles becoming an official face again.

10 minutes ago, just drew said:

we get a rushed title change from yet another babyface entity that hasn't overcome nearly enough odds to be portrayed as "odds-overcomers."

Why do they to be odds-overcomers? Its not really their characters per say in the first place. The only reason they weren't champs already is because of Slater's story catching fire.

I like how we were all getting excited for a Wyatt family running through Smackdown like the new Freebirds of horror or something so of course in typical WWE fashion it's over before it even begins. God, I hate when they do that. I mean if Alpha's gonna win...great. Do it at the Rumble when people might actually care.

• Like 2

Watching Talking Smack. So Cena is just a full blown heel now correct?  There's nothing redeemable about the character... now he's making excuses for losing at SummerSlam.  AJ beat him clean and has ran over everyone in 2016. He's getting huge face reactions. Why would anyone want to boo AJ Styles.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Phantom Lord said:

I like how we were all getting excited for a Wyatt family running through Smackdown like the new Freebirds of horror or something so of course in typical WWE fashion it's over before it even begins. God, I hate when they do that. I mean if Alpha's gonna win...great. Do it at the Rumble when people might actually care.

And why would people supposedly care more at Rumble?

27 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Watching Talking Smack. So Cena is just a full blown heel now correct?  There's nothing redeemable about the character... now he's making excuses for losing at SummerSlam.  AJ beat him clean and has ran over everyone in 2016. He's getting huge face reactions. Why would anyone want to boo AJ Styles.

Yeah, Cena is Hulk Hogan minus the dumpster fire of a personal life. Somebody needs to be Sid to Cena's Hogan, costing him the title, thus keeping him away from it longer.