DVDVR Message Board

Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Ace

I was unaware just how connected Carrie's daughter is with who her father is and all her family as well. This is just horrible, there's no other way to say it. She was an older lady, but this kind of stuff happening so close with two family members the way it did is pretty low on the statistical probability scale. I can't really come up with anything substantive beyond I hope her siblings and daughter are with as many people they love right now.

• Like 2

Man. I feel so bad for that whole family. 

I wasn't super shocked by any of this but that didn't make it any less upsetting really. The heart attack itself actually made me think of the way we wrestling fans lost Eddie years back, probably because of the similar redemption story from intense addiction. When the reporting said 10-15 minutes without breathing I was like "Shit there's a high chance she's braindead even if they stabilize her." and while I hoped, I had that feeling that it was gonna end in sadness. 

Losing Debbie Reynolds the next day was likewise upsetting if not surprising.

I just really hope their surviving family have strong support right now because one loss like that can be crushing but two in a row is fucking devastating.

• Like 1

I'm just going to say this point blank.  I'm not surprised by this.  At all.  

If you've never seen Albert Brooks' Mother, she is fucking amazing in it, she is THE bitter-out-of-touch-mom.  It's a crime that she wasn't nominated.  My mom acts like this now, I'm giving you all fair warning.

• Like 1

Kinda morbid humor, but between Postcards From The Edge, Brooks' Mother, and Fisher's HBO special from a few years ago, it makes a whole lot of sense that Reynolds would die a day after Fisher. 

• Like 1

I'm going to need to look these up because without knowing anything else damn that sounds morbid.

But this is super sad.  You have Carrie passing which is super sad.  Then there's Debbie, a staple in classic movies, who many felt she died from the heartache of losing Carrie.  Reading about how they didn't talk for awhile then being very close just makes it all the more sadder.  RIP to them both and they'll need as much family support as possible.

This is something that people will be talking about for a long, long time.  HBO's airing a documentary next year that will follow both of them.  And Carrie finished shooting for next year's Star Wars movie.  I don't even want to think about how that's going to be seeing her on the big screen one last time.

I found this bit of information as well:

The story goes that Gene Kelly (on the right) was a cruel tyrant on the set of "Singin' in the Rain" and demanded the cast perform and record until 3:00 in the morning. Debbie Reynolds could tap dance but not as well as he or Donald O'Connor, and Kelly unleashed Hell on her until she broke down and started crying. Then he stormed off the set. Fred Astaire himself, possibly the greatest dancer ever, happened to walk onto the set, found Reynolds crying under a piano, and when she told him why, he showed her some moves. When Kelly returned and they began recording "Good Mornin'," he frowned as Reynolds began dancing much better and asked, "Did you just watch a bunch of Fred Astaire movies?" When they wrapped this scene, Reynolds had to be carried back to her trailer, and when she took her extremely uncomfortable shoes off found that she had broken multiple capillaries in her dark red, swollen feet.

• Like 1

So, yay for Fred Astaire, fuck off to Gene Kelly seems to be the succinct version. Also, I'm sure there's a way they can write her out of the franchise justifiably if Episode IX is far enough in the future, but it will be difficult and depressing.

In short, one of the main themes of Postcards From the Edge is that the mom constantly upstages her daughter, even stealing the spotlight at a party for her daughter getting back from rehab (or something to that effect, it's been awhile)

Given how close they became the last five years or so, it really does feel like the kind of joke Carrie Fisher would've made, that even in death her mom still couldn't leave her the spotlight all alone.

Keeping in mind, of course, just how sarcastic and cynical Fisher was. 

• Like 1

My impression with all the Star Wars tributes in Old Republic and everywhere else is that Fisher would probably look at it and go "Don't you ridiculous people have better things to do with your lives?" though she'd probably bemusingly accept it if it's REALLY what helped people through their days. It reminds me of when Michael Jackson died and people mourned the guy from 1984 as opposed to the one who lived past 1990, except for that wasn't a fictional character portrayed by someone who had accomplished a lot of other things that she had much more agency in. 

• Like 1

HBO has moved up the premiere of the Fisher/Reynolds Documentary Bright Lights and will debut it on Jan 7

They are also going to run Wishful Drinking (the feature length version of Fisher's stage show) on Jan 1 at 9 PM

• Like 3

On 12/29/2016 at 1:14 PM, Curt McGirt said:

Goddamn, they're gonna have to kill her off in the series now aren't they? That's gonna crush everyone.

Rumour has it they're meeting to figure out what to do about Leia in Episode 9 either today or next week.

All her stuff for Episode 8 had been shot apparently, but she was still planned to have a substantial role including at least two pivotal scenes:

1) Her reuniting with Luke.

2) Her facing down her son.

It's unclear whether those happen in Episode 8 or were planned for 9. The two major options they're weighing are:

1) Killing off Leia, possibly between films.

2) Using the same kind of tech they did for Peter Cushing in Rogue One to finish out her scenes. They're wary about this though, given the freshness of the loss and are apparently consulting with the family about whether this is in poor taste or not.

I'll never forget when TMZ posted pictures of Amy Winehouse's dad at the airport right after he heard, well, that news.

It honestly made my skin crawl. Probably the most devastating news someone can ever hear in their lives. (Your child has died tragically young.) And you're posting sneaky paparazzi photos of him for all the world to see?

Look: It's one thing to report on fashion or gossip or the latest supermodel Leo is banging. Who cares? It's just silly stuff to entertain housewives, I guess. There's a market for it, I suppose. 

But you know fine well when you're crossing a line and becoming actual hideously cruel people.