DVDVR Message Board

Carrie Fisher (1956-2016)

Ace

I was talking with a co-worker just now and asked if he heard about her passing.  He had no clue she even was hospitalized.  He's a huge Star Wars fan and I felt gutted being the one to break the news to him.

I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but knowing those that are I can only imagine how they're taking it.  She was great in the SW movies and she always struck me as a genuinely great person.

2016 really, really fucking sucks, this is the (hopefully) last reminder of that.  RIP, Carrie.

Star Wars defined my youth as much as anything else, but I always felt like Carrie Fisher, despite her high humor, was closer to Alec Guinness about the whole thing than let's say Mark Hamill. She doesn't belong to the franchise and its fans like other people do. And that's ok. I think she came to terms with it at various points of her life. Blues Brothers feels more true to her somehow.

Or just the idea of her in England in the late 70s hanging out with the Monty Python guys and causing all sorts of havoc. 

(this picture is from the Hollywood Bowl not the UK and she's just in the background but...)

Eric-Idle-Lauren-Hutton-and-Carrie-Fishe

3 hours ago, odessasteps said:

It doesnt get mentioned a lot anymore, but she is funny in the Blues Brothers as belushi's ex.

You contemptible pig! I remained celibate for you. I stood in the back of a cathedral waiting, in celibacy, for you, with three hundred friends and relatives in attendance. My uncle hired the best Romanian caterers in the state. To obtain the seven limousines for the wedding party, my father used up his last favor to Mad Pete Trullo. So for me, for my mother, my grandmother, my father, my uncle, and for the common good, I must now kill you and your brother.

• Like 4

I keep starting a post and deleting it. I just do not know how to even process this. Just... No dammit.

Even beyond her on screen, whether in a galaxy far far away or just Illinois, she was special in a different way. She battled addiction, stood as an inspiration without ever becoming a cliche. She shut misogynist reporters down cold when her physical appearance was brought up, she was witty, sarcastic, bold and confident in ways society hates a woman to be, and she just didn't give a fuck if you disliked it, because she was Princess Goddamn Leia, and you were either going to respect her or get mowed over.

• Like 4