DVDVR Message Board

RAW 12/26/16 is GENTLEMANLY

Dolfan in NYC

5 hours ago, worldcupfever said:

The eventual match between HHH and Rollins should be decided by whoever can successfully execute a pedigree without releasing immediately and dropping the recipient on their face.

They release it to make the move safer, so the answer is never.

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That got me thinking. Is there a British dude or Scot etc. who isn't good on the mic?  Regal, Wade Barrett, Neville, Galloway the list goes on and on.  Of course there are but it seems like the good far outweigh the bad.

Paige.jpg

4 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

That got me thinking. Is there a British dude or Scot etc. who isn't good on the mic?  Regal, Wade Barrett, Neville, Galloway the list goes on and on.  Of course there are but it seems like the good far outweigh the bad.

Mason Ryan was a good promo too. I also remember JBL doing an interview where he said Danny Burch was one of the best promo guys in NXT...so of course he got no televised promotime before being released.

Rob Terry was such a bad promo that for two years, he responded to everything by flexing without saying anything. Although when he did talk, he had a Welsh accent that made him sound all cute and soft.

It's odd, because in the WoS era, interviews weren't a thing. Nobody did them ever. But even when guys from that era were called on to talk, they did a goodjob (Regl, Finlay, Adams et al).

2 hours ago, nofuture said:

If Gallagher gets a Wrestlemania match, he better enter the stadium in a hot air balloon.

Riding a penny-farthing would work too.

Surprised no one else is picking up on the ridiculousness of match results being EXPUNGED now. Do they really want to poke that bear?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Victator said:

Nobody cares about Brock's drug test.

except for the people who work there and get popped for wellness violations while working a full schedule.

The Dusty bear thing was also dumb because rather than being mad, they have Goldust just do the normal Golden Truth entrance.  Aside from him doing a house of fire at the start, it didn't seem like he was mad about it.  To me it would have worked better if you had either Goldust jump them on the ramp or before the bell or thrown a trash can at them.  Also doesn't help they have him job, I'm guessing by an attempted tights grab but given there's no waistband on the body suit to grab it looked goofy.  Whether you feel it's in bad taste or not, feel like they could have at least made it work better.

Unless they have Bayley go all Beatrix Kiddo on Gallows and Anderson in the coming weeks....

So there was a tweet from Da Meltz which popped up on SquaredCircle yesterday where he says the best time for WWE match quality is "now." And that comes with an obvious, unspoken-at-the-time "but." Roman and KO's matches have been that "but." Very good stuff between two guys whose work I really enjoy. But I've seen it too many times to care.

I look at my WWE MOTY list, or even non-MOTY matches I've held in high regard this year. Not all of them have been definitively better as far as in-ring quality is concerned. But most of them have the advantage of being something I don't feel like I've seen 500 times over the course of four months. And if they are, then I've tended to favour matches which have clearly strived to be distinctive ending chapters to a rivalry. 

I really wish WWE would find a new way to approach their weekly programming. I'd have loved to have enjoyed 1-2 Roman vs KO matches which felt special this year. Instead...

Speaking of things that feel special to me because they haven't been beaten into the ground yet:

The "seen it too many times to care" thing is indicative of WWE's booking, it's not strictly the Owens/Reigns program. I wanted to enjoy the Sheamus/Cesaro series, and the Miz/Ziggler stuff, but like you said, I've see it too many times to care.

Anyone else think Owens could stand to use more variation in his matches?  I'm starting to feel like if I've seen one match of his I've seen them all.  whether it's him and Roman or him and Cena or him and Rollins it feels like an "Owens match."

I think that's one of the issues with the main event scene on RAW.  See, I can still watch a Charlotte and Sasha match and enjoy the hell out of it because for the most part they've been different each time.

36 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Anyone else think Owens could stand to use more variation in his matches?  I'm starting to feel like if I've seen one match of his I've seen them all.  whether it's him and Roman or him and Cena or him and Rollins it feels like an "Owens match."

I think that's a problem with WWE more than Owens specifically. His matches with Sami usually take on a life of their own, at least they did before they started getting booked in throwaway Raw matches. I expect the Jericho match will stand out as well. When you have to fill too much tv time relative the roster size with extreme micromanagement and an overzealous leader with a "one show at a time" mentality, everything feels the same... Who would've guessed?

2 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Nia Jax's eye roll, look of disinterest, is the single most infuriating thing on Raw. She has moments where she looks badass in ring, but her facial expressions need a ton of work.

I like her work a lot, but I die a little when she ends her matches by going out of her way to make the cover facing the hard cam. I know part of WWE is the emphasis on working to the cameras, by they should really draw the line somewhere. Unfortunately, you know nobody's likely to coach that garbage out of her because their trainers and producers are probably supposed to reinforce it. 

3 hours ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Nia Jax's eye roll, look of disinterest, is the single most infuriating thing on Raw. She has moments where she looks badass in ring, but her facial expressions need a ton of work.

I was just thinking that the facial expressions totally change the character and she starts to come off as less serious.