DVDVR Message Board

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey (12/30/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

How crazy is it that Ray Borg (who probably made less than 30k win and show purses combined) had both Mike Winkeljohn AND Brandon Gibson as his chief seconds and multi-millionaire Ronda Rousey had Edmond Tarverdyan and two dudes I never seen before in her corner? That would be like a mid major basketball team being coached by both Greg Popovich and Tom Thibodeau, and the Cavaliers being coached by a crew of soccer dads.

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So is Dana really saying that the reason they didn't promote Nunes vs Rousey hard was because it wouldn't have mattered because nobody knows who Amanda Nunes is.   At this rate I can't even tell if that was real or fake twitter it is so unbelievably stupid

The way he addressed it in the scrum this week was that it's a matter of spending advertising dollars and there being so much dollars they could spend to promote the fight, and it made more sense for this fight to focus on Rousey's return.  Not saying that's correct, but that's how I saw him explain it earlier.  

5 minutes ago, hammerva said:

So is Dana really saying that the reason they didn't promote Nunes vs Rousey hard was because it wouldn't have mattered because nobody knows who Amanda Nunes is.   At this rate I can't even tell if that was real or fake twitter it is so unbelievably stupid

I think he was speaking on Nunes. He said he could spend $100M promoting her and it wouldn't do anything (which I think is false but whatever) but after tonight the WORLD will know who she is and will want to see her fight. 

I sorta agree with the second part of that but everything I've read, seen, heard and watched so far is pretty much all "what's next for Ronda?" Still very little on Nunes

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think he was speaking on Nunes. He said he could spend $100M promoting her and it wouldn't do anything (which I think is false but whatever) but after tonight the WORLD will know who she is and will want to see her fight. 

I sorta agree with the second part of that but everything I've read, seen, heard and watched so far is pretty much all "what's next for Ronda?" Still very little on Nunes

While her command of the English language has gotten better, I think they thought they couldn't stick Nunes on like a late night talk show or anything like that as it relates to big media. I mean the postfight interview w/ Anik (IIRC) after she beat GdR was tremendous just because it seem like she was either too excited to answer his questions or just totally ignored him because she didn't understand what the hell he was saying. To me, whether it was either before the fight or after the fight, they could get her on like Ellen or the View (or one of those other morning syndicated housewife shows) along with Nina Ansaroff. I mean they did the rainbow LGBT shirts so why not try to go after that opportunity and score brownie points there?

But yeah, I get it. It would be different if this was like the 3rd fight Ronda had after she lost to Holm. The most lucrative storyline was the easiest storyline and that was her return to the cage. They didn't really have to market it hard. 

duz_X4_Vn.jpg

Daaaaamn.

Hey, I was right about Rousey/Nunes! Awesome. I hope Rousey isn't done, in all honesty. UFC would lose one of their biggest stars and no one in any of the women's divisions are even close to comparing to her star power. I think you can get a few more fights out of her, if she wants, before he star in MMA fades away (if she keeps losing).

I'm really glad Cody won the belt tonight too. He doesn't strike me as the most loveable person ever (No Love and all), but I like him more as a person than I do Cruz. Maybe it's a gimmick, maybe it's really him, but he's so smug and cocky that it makes you want to see him lose. Watching those Cruz segments on Embedded was really hard for me - except for when he gave the food to the cameraman.

Infinitely surprising sport. Cody out-Cruzed Cruz. He made him look old out there. Such a calm, assured performance; baited Cruz perfectly. Surprisingly Cruz looked like the one affected by Cody's goading. Chased where he didn't need to. Garbrandt's boxing was so slick & compact he caught Cruz again & again each time he came in; don't think Cruz expected that sort of power, or for Cody to sustain the explosiveness like he did. Fight started going downhill for him when he began trying to walk through those punches.

The ire being directed to Ronda's coaching team is spot on -- why openly stand and exchange from the beginning of round 1 against a fighter who has 10 out of 13 wins coming in the first round before this fight, but who has lost almost half her fights that go beyond round 1? Strange tactics on show.

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

What about Travis Browne?

Edmund ruined his career too. As far as him ruining Ronda's career... he moved gyms to train with her, so you should probably blame her for ruining him.

I'm glad Johnny Hendricks lost the decision. He tried to lay and pray his way to the win, and got outworked from the bottom. And if he's going to 185, can we just make him fight Kelvin Gastelum in a best of seven series? Because they're both too short to fight proper middleweights.

Dillashaw vs Garbrandt should be interesting. I guess we have to start calling them Team Alpha Succeed now. Uriah retired too recently for us to say he's a better team captain now he's not player-coach any more, but that's probably a story the UFC ownership will try to sell.

Is Dom Cruz one of those guys who can win from a winning position, but he's not built to come back in a fight he's losing?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

And if he's going to 185, can we just make him fight Kelvin Gastelum in a best of seven series? Because they're both too short to fight proper middleweights.

Shit, Gastelum just beat the breaks off one of the biggest middleweights you can find. Kennedy is built like a pro wrestler from the late 80s WWF. I don't think size is going to be a problem as much as trying to find consistency. Gastelum is young and talented to compete with anybody, but can he drive himself to put together a string of wins? If he can, he is going to be challenging for the belt.

3 hours ago, AxB said:

Is Dom Cruz one of those guys who can win from a winning position, but he's not built to come back in a fight he's losing?

I think that's hardly the case. Cruz is someone who is use to fighting in close bouts where a knockdown or two could be the difference between losing a title or keeping one. He has been great in knowing how to pull away in those fights. I think the fight with Garbrandt was very much about what Garbrandt did right. Cody probably knew that the first two rounds could go either way. He realized that he couldn't allow that brand of fighting to go on, and he made the proper adjustments. He knew it wasn't enough to just make Cruz miss. Dillashaw made Cruz miss a lot and still managed to lose on the scorecards. Cody made it look like he was undeterred by Cruz's output, and he was the one who was making everything look effortless and using little energy. He put offense on Cruz that you couldn't argue whether or not it was effective. Even when Cruz had a decent enough start and performance in the final round, Cody didn't go off his gameplan. So it wasn't on Cruz's ability to come back, but Garbrandt's ability to continue to execute a brilliant strategy for 25 minutes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, hammerva said:

I saw that she left the cage with her mom.  Right now that is the only person who should be in her life.  

Um... Are we pretending that AnnMaria De Mars is a sane rational person now?

15 hours ago, hammerva said:

Not really but at least she is competent in making her what she was before other people fucked with her.  I mean as crazy as she can be, she was at least smart enough to know years ago that Edmund was an idiot

I can't find the specific interview or blog post, but didn't she also call Ronda out for lying about beating up grown men when she was 10 for coffee snacks and whatnot in Sports Illustrated?

That was suppose to be her Manny Pacquiao backstory (that Lampley repeats ad nauseum) about selling loose cigarettes in the streets of Manila that she came up with for herself.

I've never seen so much discussion about someone's corner after a loss. Not here, it's everywhere.  It's all true, all of it.. but it's getting dangerously close to absolving Rousey herself. She got her doors blown off in back to back fights. It's not that she sucks or was overrated but it's pretty clear all the hyperbole about her being unstoppable and idiot pundits claiming she could beat Mayweather and all this crap, it was way overblown. Everything now has to be about HISTORY and BEST EVER instead of letting careers play out.

4 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I've never seen so much discussion about someone's corner after a loss. Not here, it's everywhere.  It's all true, all of it.. but it's getting dangerously close to absolving Rousey herself. She got her doors blown off in back to back fights. It's not that she sucks or was overrated but it's pretty clear all the hyperbole about her being unstoppable and idiot pundits claiming she could beat Mayweather and all this crap, it was way overblown. Everything now has to be about HISTORY and BEST EVER instead of letting careers play out.

As I noted a page or so back, the fact someone like Ray Borg has a better corner by 2000% compared to Rousey speaks volumes about her. It reminds me of like Tyson right around the Douglas loss and after returning from prison. Anytime friggin' Teddy Atlas is like, "Who the fuck are these dudes in his corner?", you got giant issues and you should be held accountable.

Yeah, a lot of this is on the journalism end over the past 3 or so years but the fact that Rousey decided to ignore the plethora of great coaches out there is amazing. Fuck just striking coaches because that's not her game. She couldn't hire Neil Melanson who is right there for someone with her style? Was John Crouch too busy training everyone who isn't Ben Henderson and Bryan Barberena to give a shit about training someone like Ronda Rousey? That's two coaches off the top of my head who would have done an acceptable job over Tarverdyan. Her loyalty to him is just downright bizarre. Fuck....I'll take Marc Laimon's crazy ass over him.

2 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

As I noted a page or so back, the fact someone like Ray Borg has a better corner by 2000% compared to Rousey speaks volumes about her. It reminds me of like Tyson right around the Douglas loss and after returning from prison. Anytime friggin' Teddy Atlas is like, "Who the fuck are these dudes in his corner?", you got giant issues and you should be held accountable.

Yeah, a lot of this is on the journalism end over the past 3 or so years but the fact that Rousey decided to ignore the plethora of great coaches out there is amazing. Fuck just striking coaches because that's not her game. She couldn't hire Neil Melanson who is right there for someone with her style? Was John Crouch too busy training everyone who isn't Ben Henderson and Bryan Barberena to give a shit about training someone like Ronda Rousey? That's two coaches off the top of my head who would have done an acceptable job over Tarverdyan. Her loyalty to him is just downright bizarre. Fuck....I'll take Marc Laimon's crazy ass over him.

Do you think she saw the $3M on the table, knew she'd lose and just went and got her ass beat for one final payday?  I have a hard time believing that she felt in her heart that she could stand there with Nunes and trade punches. Everyone from Meisha Tate on down has said Nunes will fuck you up! She hits like a dude! The whole thing was bizarre.

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Do you think she saw the $3M on the table, knew she'd lose and just went and got her ass beat for one final payday?  I have a hard time believing that she felt in her heart that she could stand there with Nunes and trade punches. Everyone from Meisha Tate on down has said Nunes will fuck you up! She hits like a dude! The whole thing was bizarre.

Maybe it's just conjecture on my part, but I get the feeling that she has this irrational thought of trying to go out of her shield w/ the people that brought her to the proverbial dance. I mean it was cute early on in Strikeforce when she had Edmond and Judo Gene LeBell there with stopwatch and had Dave Meltzer fawning all over that gimmick. When you're deep into this game and a lot more is at stake, you can't really afford to have tremendous gaps in what makes you a great fighter. I mean she has a ton of money already so that's not a real issue. However, going in she knew that a win or loss here drastically affects how her career is looked upon. I think she had this chip on her shoulder and so desperately wanted to prove everyone wrong who were criticizing Tarverdyan (including her mom) that it clouded her judgement entirely. Some people are just way too stubborn and prone to making erroneous decisions. Going back to Borg for just a second, Ray Borg was getting sued by his old coaches (assuming that would be Tom and Arlene Vaughn) for moving to JacksonWink. Here is someone who doesn't have several million dollars and having his own crossroads fight against Louis Smolka, and he would rather get sued for money he definitely don't got to save his career. Despite missing weight, he still put on a hell of a performance indicative of someone being trained by world class coaches. That is the exact opposite of Ronda Rousey, who I feel cannot take less than 50% of the blame.