DVDVR Message Board

UFC 207: Nunes vs. Rousey (12/30/2016) - Las Vegas, NV (T-Mobile Arena)

Elsalvajeloco

7 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I love Ronda. I'm sad to see her career go in this direction. I also think Edmund has played a large role in ruining her career.

Why was she standing in the pocket in 20 seconds into the fight like she's 2003 Arturo Gatti? Like...who told her to do that? 

5 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Weird...No send off for Goldberg?

I'm guessing it either wasn't that amicable or he might be in another capacity with the UFC.

She's got to be done if she doesn't change trainers. Zero head movement or defense and terrible footwork. All that time off and no improvement. That Nunes interview was great. Congrats to her. 

Did not see that coming from Garbrandt. Great fight. Beat Dominick at his own game. Loved the Dillashaw call out too. 

Remember about a month ago when there was a video of Rousey boxing and it looked like she was punching with backwards or with her wrist.  Everyone looked at it and thought what the fuck is this Edmund goof teaching her.  Well now we know.   Even when she was the most dominating female athlete in the world there was still the idea that if you can stay on your feet there is a chance.   Now Ronda is almost begging you to keep it on the feet it seems.  At least with Holm she tried a takedown.  It didn't seem like that was in the game plan.   Until Rousey dumps Edmund her career is either over or at best she is just another top 10.  Really stunning how stupid that game plan was

That we've known her defence on her feet was her achilles heel since day 1. And she's just as bad now as she was in the Strikeforce era. That's on her for not switching camps because Edmund is a megalomaniac charlatan. 

Nunes vs. either Shevchenko or Pena would be really good fights but I want to see a Cat Zingano comeback more than anything. Just re-watched her fight with Nunes and I'd love to see her get a crack at the title if she can get some momentum first. 

Either Shevchenko or Pena would likely test Amanda's gas tank, which may be her biggest weakness.

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Before we get too far on the Rousey thing...props to Roger Krahl for really tightening up Nunes' striking game. Every punch came without that much wasted motion. 

Well that make the Rousey coaching thing more stupid.  It isn't like Nunes stunned people with her striking game.  She had been getting stronger and stronger every fight.   Like did they watch a fight 3 years ago to prepare

He said some stuff about being a part of a family with the production crew but that was it. I am obviously not a fan of his work but for a 20 year career with a company to end without any sort of decent send off paints a pretty ugly picture about the new owners in my mind.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That we've known her defence on her feet was her achilles heel since day 1. And she's just as bad now as she was in the Strikeforce era. That's on her for not switching camps because Edmund is a megalomaniac charlatan. 

Nunes vs. either Shevchenko or Pena would be really good fights but I want to see a Cat Zingano comeback more than anything. Just re-watched her fight with Nunes and I'd love to see her get a crack at the title if she can get some momentum first. 

Either Shevchenko or Pena would likely test Amanda's gas tank, which may be her biggest weakness.

Edmund is basically a lesser Firas Zahabi, except the offense from fighters trained by Firas actually makes sense most of the time. Every now and then, you will see someone he's been training for awhile like Makdessi get obliterated. However, it's going to be by someone with greater technique (and talent) like a Lando Vannata. Edmund either teaches his fighters to be super conservative and just fight in spurts or just go forward until you land something. That's very reckless considering in MMA the margin of error is much smaller in all regards. So either you're going to lose 30-27 on all the scorecards or get decimated. This isn't an eight round boxing fight one of the Team Hayastan fighters he trains is involved in on some club card in Glendale or the surrounding LA area. It's also not a sad Vic Darchinyan fight where a super past his prime Vic Darchinyan gets starched really fast. His lack of quality critique and instruction has trivialized the careers of everyone he has trained on the highest level. When people decide to make a transition from kickboxing or boxing to MMA, they still look to elevate themselves on top of elevating the fighters. He is a mediocre boxing coach who wants to a top level MMA coach while still trying to possess all the qualities of a mediocre boxing coach. It's absolutely crazy.

• Like 1

I saw that she left the cage with her mom.  Right now that is the only person who should be in her life.   I don't really get the hate either that Rousey is getting.  Granted I thought she was a complete bitch during the Meisha Tate feud and a horrible person.  But she grew out of that and to be fair watching more of Meisha it isn't that crazy anymore.   I feel more sorry for her because he was a complete monster and now looks like someone who should be main eventing Fox Sports 1 shows

3 minutes ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I wouldn't put too much thought into the Goldberg thing until more is known. While some people like sendoffs, others do not, he may have not wanted a big deal made out of it.

I did notice that Rogan didn't go out of his way to acknowledge that. I mean it only takes like 5 to 10 seconds to say, "been a pleasure and an honor working with you..." etc etc. So maybe they just decided to call the show as normal.