DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Fighter Union Table Scrap Chaos (Make Cyborg Great Again Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

1 hour ago, twiztor said:

i agree. 

how does something like that happen?

Her doctor probably took the fall for her. The more negligent the doctor seems, the less negligent it makes Cyborg appear because everything she was suffering from prior to her treatment was found to be in what she tested positive for. Moreover, her struggles with weight cutting were well-documented. If she had pulled the weight cutting thing out of left field, then it would've been tough to say you were receiving treatment. In addition, prior to the announcement of a possible USADA violation, she stated she needed to recover from her past weight cut. So it should have been known she was doing something to facilitate that recovery. Basically, it comes down to whether or not her doctor who prescribed what she failed for did the due diligence. If it was something random that had nothing to do with what she needed to recover from, then the blame would fall solely on Cyborg and she would get the full sanction most likely. Otherwise, they had a valid point that the doctor fucked up more than Cyborg did. Yeah, Cyborg didn't document it but she also isn't a medical professional. If you're taking something that's proven to help make these ailments go away, your first thought isn't performance enhancing drug. Plus, they found that she had only taken a low dose, which they didn't deem anywhere close to being performance enhancing.

16 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

From what I read on USADA's statement is that Cyborg did commit a violation, but were lenient on her in this one instance.  If they cleared Cyborg, then they shouldn't have forced Machida to eat a two-year suspension.

Machida doesn't have anything to do with Cyborg though. Machida wasn't receiving treatment for anything. Machida failed for something that was clearly banned.

They were lenient because this falls under medical treatment under her physician's advice and didn't provide anything that enhanced her performance. Machida got caught for something that at no point would anyone tell you to take a professional athlete.

3 hours ago, Lawful Metal said:

But aren't her endocrine problems caused by her abuse of illegal steroids, of which, she had tested positive for before??

One thing doesn't necessarily correlate with the other. USADA isn't doing a double jeopardy thing unless you already had a previous USADA violation. Therefore, they can only go on a case by case basis. In this case, they found it to be a medical treatment post weight cut where her doctor didn't do proper due diligence beforehand. Upon further review (and questioning of both Cyborg and her doctor), that's the conclusion they reached.

Given 205 is sort of a targeted division for ACB, he could make some money depending on his feelings on accepting money from Chechen warlords. However, if you're staunch defender of catching PED users, I dunno if Russia (or Japan as mentioned in Meltzer's article) is the place to be fighting.

"I spent some nights in the backyard, in the dark, crying, sitting there with my head in my hand staring off into space thinking about the entire thing," Lawlor said. "All the work I'd put in was gone, in my mind. I'd been so vocal about the whole thing in the past."

:(

I hope he does well in pro wrestling or whatever it is he decides to pursue.

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Given 205 is sort of a targeted division for ACB, he could make some money depending on his feelings on accepting money from Chechen warlords. However, if you're staunch defender of catching PED users, I dunno if Russia (or Japan as mentioned in Meltzer's article) is the place to be fighting.

Eh, he's already decided to pursue pro wrestling and had his first matches within the last week or so. On F4W, he's sounded happy enough about things, but I'm not going to doubt that the suspension stings.

Hey! Maybe Tom will start posting here again!

20 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Eh, he's already decided to pursue pro wrestling and had his first matches within the last week or so. On F4W, he's sounded happy enough about things, but I'm not going to doubt that the suspension stings.

Hey! Maybe Tom will start posting here again!

Situations like this are intriguing because I don't think the UFC would (or should) get into a place where everyone who gets a long sanction is granted a release from their contract. What's the point of suspending someone if they aren't under UFC contract for most of the suspension length anyway? 

On top of that, the UFC has to define what a sanction or suspension is beyond you sit out for X number of months. I mean someone like Barnett had some flexibility BEFORE he got suspended. However, I don't think they're going to let Barnett be a full time indie or pro wrestler just because he's suspended. I think folks should be able to make money while on the shelf, but something has to register with the UFC that their fighters should not doing other contact sports full time while still under contract and under suspension. Letting someone do a grappling fight every now and then is fine. A pro wrestling match here and there is fine. However, letting people be transferred to another sports endeavor while under suspension for cheating makes no sense at all. 

Unless they do indeed retire. That's the crux of Tom's decision. He retires and he can pursue wrestling full time. If he doesn't and decides to try to come back in a couple years then he's not going to be able to make a shot at another sports venture. I guess I'm not saying anything you don't already know, but you're right. UFC contracts are going to need to stipulate what you're allowed to do while suspended. I wonder if they could even force something like a no-compete clause stating that even if you do retire you can't just go and do EBI or pro wrestling.

• Like 1

I would love to see a fighter's agent's face when they read that fucking clause.

I'm all for ridding the sport of PEDs but if guys get busted they shouldn't be going destitute or working at Wally world. 

53 minutes ago, AxB said:

Well, that's the thing with athlete retirements. They tend to lack permanence. 

...and that's the whole thing about the sanctions being a deterrent among other things. My whole point isn't about whether fighters should be able to provide for themselves or their family, but sanctions aren't a deterrent if you can just naturally switch to another career or make a lateral move to another MMA org after a brief hiatus. The only thing you can argue is if someone really loves MMA or wanted to be a UFC fighter their entire life, it's a punishment for those fighters. Even then, if you "retire" for a certain length of time, somehow find yourself no longer under UFC contract, and fight somewhere else, then you really were not punished that hard. You just had a slight career inconvenience and some potentially bad PR. That's all.

If a fighter can find a valid reason to get their suspension length reduced (or possibly USADA enacts some good behavior/PED education program I suggested awhile back doing the same thing), I think that would be somewhat transparent on both sides. To turn it into something where fighters just "retire" and find a method to game the system just makes it a bizarre and drawn out way to get released from the UFC.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Ace said:

So this is happening...

1 hour ago, Ace said:

So this is happening...

So what he is insinuating? Some person sent him the wrong email. Shit, this happens a lot. Just disregard it and move on like everyone else who gets tagged in the email incorrectly.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Insinuating that Robbie Lawler is injecting the gear up his butt?

The thing is...sending someone the wrong email (especially when he's gotten tweets meant for Robbie Lawler numerous times) is way different than handling test samples. If you legitimately believe you got your samples mixed up in some nefarious fashion, you have grounds for a legitimate lawsuit because you have to sit out for several months and losing income. Otherwise, why even bring it up? It's not helping you and making you look like a whiner.