DVDVR Message Board

Fight Kits, USADA, & Fighter Union Table Scrap Chaos (Make Cyborg Great Again Edition)

Elsalvajeloco

35 minutes ago, Ace said:

It also makes no sense at all for her to be on a diuretic.

That's a solid point considering she had to be on it for three months. You have to be a pretty trusting person to just take something for three months and not ask WHY specifically you have to be on it for three months. The first item of business should have been asking that and then conferring (if a valid reason was given) with USADA and the UFC that you were prescribed something that's most likely on the ban list.

Second, you would think one of the best things for recovery from a bad weight cut is just good old R&R. If you're powerlifting, I don't think your body is that damaged. 

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Diuretics are masking agents for steroids and PEDs.  That's why she was on a diuretic.  She claimed it was diuretics in 2011 as well.

Was that for me or Ace? Yes, I mean very aware of this elementary knowledge of diuretics.

It's not directly meant for anyone.  The reason she was on a diuretic was to use it as a masking agent for her rampant PED abuse which she has been doing for years.  It's time to call a spade a spade here.  This wasn't medicine she was prescribed.  She's a PED user and that's why she's taking diuretics.

She was allegedly prescribed this medicine back in September.  And was taking it through December.  She had plenty of time to check on what she was taking and ask USADA for a TUE to take it.  If this is truly nothing more than negligence and ignorance, than there's no excuse for that either.

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

It's not directly meant for anyone.  The reason she was on a diuretic was to use it as a masking agent for her rampant PED abuse which she has been doing for years.  It's time to call a spade a spade here.  This wasn't medicine she was prescribed.  She's a PED user and that's why she's taking diuretics.

So no, you have nothing new to contribute. Okay.

I'm reading a Portal do Vale Tudo interview with Cyborg's doctor in Brazil, Ulysséa Menezes da Costa Pinto, who has been her doctor for 10 years and was present after her weight cut in Brasilia. She is the one who told Cyborg to take 3 months off and not to cut weight. She told Cyborg basically what I said to do above, which was rest and relaxation. I saw nothing in the interview about some treatment regimen. If Cyborg had a doctor in California prescribe something, would this not be communicated to her doctor that she has been with for a long time and basically her entire MMA career? If it was the Brazilian doctor, wouldn't this doctor know that Cyborg is an athlete obviously and that there is a WADA prohibited list? According to Dr. Menezes, Cyborg had low iron levels, a low white blood cell count, and other vitamin deficiencies. Apparently, Spironolactone is also used to treat low potassium levels. I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't there be other, more obvious alternatives for treatment than a diuretic? Either way it goes, that's going to be a big question when her team meets with USADA.

8 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Apparently, Spironolactone is also used to treat low potassium levels. I'm not a medical professional, but wouldn't there be other, more obvious alternatives for treatment than a diuretic?

Yeah, it's called potassium.  I'd also question the wisdom of putting someone who likely suffered from severe dehydration on a diuretic shortly after.  I'm not going to say it is impossible that she dehydrated herself so severely that something got messed up and required medication to help alleviate, but on the surface it doesn't really add up.

2 minutes ago, username said:

Yeah, it's called potassium.  I'd also question the wisdom of putting someone who likely suffered from severe dehydration on a diuretic shortly after.  I'm not going to say it is impossible that she dehydrated herself so severely that something got messed up and required medication to help alleviate, but on the surface it doesn't really add up.

Reading Ray Elbe's comments, it answers some questions but brings up a few more. The part at the end is the big headscratcher IMO:

"Unfortunately she forwarded the list direct to the dr. And began treatment once she understood it was not on the banned list or requiring a therapeutic use exemption. Knowing she works with many USADA athletes the website wasn't checked."

So the doctor got the list and gave the ok, but there is something different on the website (or the app that the fighters have IIRC)? That makes no sense.

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Isn't this Ray Elbe character her boyfriend?  Why would he give a straight answer?  

Not sure if he is her boyfriend or just a really close friend. Don't care anyway. Elbe was the one who mentioned the substance Cyborg failed for, and basically, the only one who has came forward to say anything of note really.

The issue is that spironolactone can be used in certain situations involving the kidneys, but also must be avoided in other situations involving the kidneys.  The thing that could conceivably help her is that if her use is legit I'm sure that her doctor would have some sort of record and evidence from a few months back showing exactly what the issues with her kidneys were.

It's why I hate to play "internet doctor" as we're always basing things on limited info but I really couldn't see a reputable doctor starting her on this treatment without coming across something notable.  Of course, the problem is that if this is legit then it is a case of a big name fighter suffering a degree of organ damage from a weight cut which would actually be a much worse story.

13 minutes ago, username said:

The issue is that spironolactone can be used in certain situations involving the kidneys, but also must be avoided in other situations involving the kidneys.  The thing that could conceivably help her is that if her use is legit I'm sure that her doctor would have some sort of record and evidence from a few months back showing exactly what the issues with her kidneys were.

It's why I hate to play "internet doctor" as we're always basing things on limited info but I really couldn't see a reputable doctor starting her on this treatment without coming across something notable.  Of course, the problem is that if this is legit then it is a case of a big name fighter suffering a degree of organ damage from a weight cut which would actually be a much worse story.

There is a list of medical conditions she was dealing with and kidney damage or dehydration are not on the list. This article puts an intriguing perspective on the whole situation.

FWIW the 87.8 code that seems to vex the author of that article is almost certainly related to an x-ray of the ovaries, especially given the mention of a cyst on one of them.  I feel fairly certain they wouldn't have let her fight with viral meningitis.

• Like 1