DVDVR Message Board

DVDVR Message Board Seasons Greetings 2016.

The Natural

2016 was pretty shit and it looks like 2017 is going to be mostly the same.  But if all goes as planned I'll come out the other end with a wife, so that's not so bad.

Happy holidays to everyone here.  Glad to know all you reprobates.

• Like 3

Happy Holidays, everyone.  Hope you have a grand ol' time whatever you're doing.

On that note, would this be the thread to take part in Festivus (for the rest of us)?  I have a couple grievances (non-political or anything this time) and wouldn't mind a forum for such a thing.  I think that's how this works anyway.  I'm not a huge Seinfeld fan and barely know anything about Festivus.  But airing grievances?  Sign me up!

3 hours ago, Ryan said:

Just scream them out the window at the nearest person you can find while driving or while walking down the street. Whatever works.

Considering there was a lot of bullshit at work today I aired them out to my boss so I got that part taken care of.  I'd be down for a feat of strength, but other than that I'm good.

Anyway,  Happy Holidays everyone! 

Posted this in DAD ZONE, too...

My oldest is 12 and figured out the Santa gimmick when she was 8; she made a big stink about it and I pulled her aside and gave her the same talk my mother did:

a. STFU and don't ruin it for your little sister if you know what's good for you; and,

b. play along and you'll still get presents from Santa.

My youngest is now nine and still believes; not judging, just stating the facts. But last night she fucking tossed and turned and cried and fussed until 3:45 in the motherfucking morning, like a goddamn baby. She finally fell asleep and I finally got Christmas set up at 4:30, but was so frustrated and downright annoyed that I couldn't sleep until almost 6am. Then both girls slept in--the youngest, obviously because she's exhausted but the oldest because she'll sleep until 2pm every day if you let her--and I had to drag my ass out of bed at 10:30 to get them up and moving, as their mother was coming for them at noon.

Then my youngest was a cranky shit because she was tired.  I was very tempted to break kayfabe on Santa, but let it go...I'm not a total monster.

Merry Fucking Christmas, indeed.

• Like 1

Here's a bit of weirdness, hosted by George Plimpton and featuring avant-garde composers John Cage and Nam-June Paik, along with Peter Gabriel and Laurie Anderson, Merce Cunningham, Allen Ginsberg, Phillip Glass, the Freaking Thompson Twins, and Joseph Beuys who was kind of the art world's flavor of the month in 1984 I think. This was broadcast on New Years Day, 1984 on PBS.

It was called the "first satellite art installation" and had a satellite hook up between New York, Paris, Germany and a few other places.  It was supposed to all be live but the satellite feed failed a few times.  But believe it or not, in 1984 you could wake up on New Years and watch John Cage play a cactus while weird video art was streamed over your 10 inch COLOR RCA TELEVISioN!!!!

I give you: GOOD MORNING, MR. ORWELL

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Merry new year everyone.  Hopefully your 2017 is better than 2016.    

I am way too old to be enjoying Pitbull's New Years eve celebration

Antenna t.v. Is showing a marathon of Jack Benny if that's more your speed. I'm there. It's ballin as the kids say in their dungarees. 

8 minutes ago, hammerva said:

Fucked up Mariah Carey trying to sing Emotion without actually knowing the words is something.  Maybe the greatest worst lip synch attempt in history

Hearing her call spots to her "dancers" who it turns out were more like "dudes laid to hold her up" was pretty great.