DVDVR Message Board

SDL 12/20/16 Wildcard Finals Preview

Niners Fan in CT

Enzo on Raw is the babyface after showing his package to a married woman and more or less trying to hook up with her. 

On SD, Miz is the most despicable heel on the roster for merely mentioning Renee's sex life. 

Yeah, there's a reason I prefer the latter as far as heels and babyfaces. 

• Like 6

Really good show. I kept hoping for some sort of a swerve with the Nikki attack but I actually liked the way the Nattie reveal played out and her promo. I like Bitter Mean Cat Lady Nattie. 

Maryse is so gonna drag Renee after this lol 

• Like 1

Really dug the Nattie reveal, since I was sure they were going to swerve everyone and slot someone else into the role.  Natalya saying "...and that's why John Cena will never marry you" was a real holy shit moment.  I would have bet money they'd never go there.

Fun show.

• Like 3

Smackdown just has a completely different feel than Raw.  Maybe it's the quasi-shoot stuff that gets brought up, maybe it's just the tighter booking, but everything feels like it means something.  It's been years since I've actually looked forward to one of WWE's weekly shows to see what would happen.

I would like some of whatever Santa Rhyno slipped into his eggnog.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Becky/Alexa feud has absolutely smoked Charlotte/Sasha. At least the SD women's title means something.

I agree. Sasha and Charlotte have had the better matches but Alexa and Becky are telling the better and more interesting story. 

• Like 2

To each their own, I haven't loved the booking but I've enjoyed Sasha/Charlotte a lot more than Becky/Alexa.  Alexa deserves a lot of credit for carving out a role for herself and she's probably top 5 right now in terms of character work, but.... I have no desire to see her wrestle.  She's ok in the ring, but I don't feel like she's anywhere near the level of the "Horsewomen".  I wouldn't put her on Nikki's, or even Natayla's, level.  

I really wish Charlotte were on SDL feuding with Becky right now.  Becky's a great babyface, but until they turn Nikki or bring in Mickie James, there's no one on the SD roster I want to see put into a program with her. 

Felt like they changed direction on the "Who attacked Nikki?" storyline and went with Nattie instead of someone like Eva Marie or Mickie or whoever. The whole reveal was a bit off to me and they tried to cover it up by throwing in some 'shocking' lines. Feels like every Nikki storyline winds up being about her being undeserving of her spot.

Show was really fun overall. Miz vs Crews was really fun. Ambrose vs Harper was decent. I love The Miz messing with Renee and attacking Ambrose after he got laid out by The Wyatts.

AJ was killing Ellsworth out there. It was absolutely what he needed to do and credit to Ellsworth for taking a beating.

Rhyno Claus was hysterical on Talking Smack.

The best thing about the character work on Smackdown is that the promos all sound like real shit that people would say.  Nattie's promo was straight out of some argument you'd see from two people in your twitter timeline. Carmella as a shit stirrer is the best.

I don't know if that's down to a different writing team or they just allow the wrestlers to have more creative freedom, I'm not sure.  Meltzer can say all he wants that "It's the same people" in charge of both shows but there is CLEARLY a difference in how they handle promos, storylines,  matches..  everything.

This buildup to the WILDCARD FINALS feels more important than Roadblock: End of the Line.

45 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

The Becky/Alexa feud has absolutely smoked Charlotte/Sasha. At least the SD women's title means something.

Everything on SD is simple, but it all works. 

The problems are in reverse.  Sasha/Charlotte's booking has been rough outside of Charlotte semi-shooting on her daddy a couple of times, but the matches delivered.  Becky/Alexa have better characterization, but Alexa isn't able to keep up with Becky in-ring and that results in so-so matches.

Where SDL wins with the women is everyone has a story. (outside of Naomi, who's currently injured so I'll give them half an inch on that) Not everyone is going after the title, but they're not just sitting in catering, either. Hooking Carmella up with Ellsworth could be a damn stroke of genius.  They should totally have him be a sad sack to her modern-day femme fatale, where he's the fall guy for all her devious schemes.  Just watch a bunch of films noir for inspiration and get to work. 

• Like 2

Miz/Crews was decent. The aftermath with Miz comments on Renee was kind of awkward and uncomfortable but in a good way, especially with Renee slapping the shit out of him as a response. I didn't pay much attention to Ambrose/Harper, but I did enjoy the Sister Abigail to RKO, and Miz attacking after the match.

I'm kind of mixed on Nattie being revealed the attacker. Its kind of annoying that they built it up only to make such an obvious reveal, but at the same time I liked Nattie's reasoning. She stumbled a bit and was a little repetitive on Talking Smack, but its the most emotion I've seen from her. I can totally believe in her reasons for considering how long she has been around and never really been at the top even when she was champ. Even vets have been wondering when Nattie's moment will be. I'm actually looking forward to this as angry Nattie seems like the best version of her and her match with Nikki from a few months ago was one of her better matches this year.

Loved the stuff with Alexa & Becky. Their matches haven't been great, but they been solid and the build has delivered every time.

Corbin/Ziggler took a while to pick up, but i thought it was pretty solid towards the end. I loves AJ's commentary. He started off so confident and arrogant only to be actively rooting for Ziggler by the end because he wanted no part of Baron Corbin. I just like that guys like Corbin and Harper do actively scare AJ. I'm kind of torn on the triple threat. I'm happy Corbin is getting a shot, but I think AJ vs. either guy in singles would probably be a better and more interesting match.

Drunk Santa Rhyno on Talking Smack was something else. That had to have been a rib on poor Renee.

Good show all around. Next week actually feels a bit special with all the title matches and Cena's return.

Styles destroying Ellsworth was perfect. Crowd was really hot for Miz/Crews, good stuff. Natalya's pipe bomb ruled, solid conclusion to the who ran over Nikki story. Ambrose/Harper was pretty good while it lasted. I love all things Alexa Bliss, currently maybe my favorite to watch. Ziggler/Corbin was alright, was a little more interested in Ziggler/Styles one on one but the triple threat should be good. Ryan Phillipe never found Randy. Really dig the hype promo for Cena's return, has an epic feel to it. Should be a great stacked show next week.