DVDVR Message Board

Solar, Ultraman y Super Astro vs. Sergio El Hermoso, Bello Greco y Rudy Reyna (2/26/84)

Phil Schneider

It's a real shame about the camera, I'd love to see the whole thing.  Totally awesome match with great matwork and light hearted stooging by the rudos to start; throughout this match both teams are really at their best, the Cadets hitting great, flashy moves and perfectly executed fast-paced offensive sequences and the rudos taking everyting well and especially Reyna (I think?) being hilarious in his stooging.  Cadets comeback in the second fall is off the charts fun stuff complete with two seriously great dives, Astro's being especially nuts.  The most purely fun match on the set so far and I can't imagine anyone not enjoying the hell out of this.

This was one of my favorite trios matches going into the set and watching it again confirms just how much I love it. I'm predisposed to liking a match like this. I love great high flyers. I'm a mark for exotico gimmicks. I love matches built around great schtick and man, the comedy spots in this one get me every fucking time. Also, Ultraman is a candidate for best punches ever and he throws some jaw droppingly good combinations in this one. They're almost as impressive as Super Astro's flying. I love love love this match.

Never watched anyone on the rudo side before and we get a very grainey camera angle on this one that will probably be tough for me to distinguish.  First fall is a blast with tons of fun stuff going on too numerous to name.  All three of the faces are able to come in and look good.  Second fall begins with a rudo beating.  Huge bump to the outside takes out the apron.  The chase around the ring resulting in the back elbow smash was the greatest face spot I can remember of that sequence.  Those punches by Ultraman that Tim references are super.  Finsh was hectic and conclusive ending.  This match was a total blast that I could have had 5-10 minutes more of. 

A trios match with three high-flyers versus some exoticos, so you get great, intricate spots mixed with broad comedy. All the whistling at the exoticos was great. Those of us who got the New Japan set have already seen Sergio and Bello Greco in action and they're hilarious. I was surprised at how small Super Astro is. This looks like the template for a lot of the midcard trios matches running today that you'll see in CMLL and fun to see done so far back in the day. It really feels like you're sitting at Arena Mexico watching the chaos of lucha libre unfold. This is gonna finish high.

So much fun!  I really could've watched these guys do their thing all day.  Both teams just play their roles so incredibly well.  I'm always impressed by rudos who can flip the switch between total stooging and ass-kicking.  

So much good, intricate work here.  The flying at the finish is amazing.  I especially love the catapult dive from the technicos.

This is pretty high for me at this point.

Holy shit I wish I could have told the rudos apart because they were all awesome. If anybody can help me out about that please do. Anyways, this was an awesomely fun match with tremendous comedy, stooging, and a mixture of great, great high spots. The rudo in the bright red shorts was phenomenal and took whiplash style Buddy bumps to the floor two or three times and the way he took the technico offense was insane as he did full body selling and took every move with high impact. The yellow singlet rudo was great too and was a bit more of a toned down version of his teammates. The faces offense was absurd at times and gave us easily the best dives and technico offense of the set. That one Astro dive (I think it was Astro) was ludicrous. This was great shit.

This is four stars and a little more. A-. Great action and fun comedy equals well done trios match.  

EXOTICOS!!! This was just a blast. Just a tremendous mix of wrestling, highflying, sequences, comedy and brawling. It's also really cool to actually be able to hear the crowd reacting to all the individual spots. The rudos were just awesome being just a bunch of pricks acting like effeminate sissies when the technicos had the upper hand, but laying in punches as soon as they got the chance. All their bumping, stooging and mannerisms were just top. There was one sequence in the third fall that they made look as good as anybody else in wrestling history would have. Of course the technicos are tremendous aswell. Super Astro was no less spectacular in 1984 than any other wrestler at any time. All of these guys were great wrestlers and athletes - that tope from almost a standing position that I think it was Solar brought was one of the crazier dives I recall seeing. Ultraman ruled too throwing his awesome punches and a crazy superkick. Just a great time all around and you really see why trios matches were mad popular around this time.

• 2 weeks later...

This even with the clips is a legendary match at least among the lucha internet fans because these teams were so damn awesome at everything they did. I can only imagine the classics these teams regularly had in this era that aren't on film.

It's downright astounding how elaborate some of the stuff in this match was. It was my first time seeing exoticos and really this Flyer vs Exotico style and I'm still getting used to trios and I sure as hell couldn't tell guys apart between the ring gear and the color bleeding so this is me saying "Well, that was smooth and entertaining" again.

I spent a year in England when I was 22 and it was the first time I was away from my homestate for more than a few days at a time and by the end of it, I was really ready to start travelling. That's kind of how I feel about this set. I think by the time I get through it, I'll be about ready to watch and process everything.

As others have said, even with the grainy camera and clips this is still AMAZING stuff. Probably the most fun match on the set so far. I was laughing and smiling during the whole match. Just tremendous stuff. I laughed out loud at the chase around the ring leading to the back elbow, best spot I've seen in a LONG time. Great punches, smooth flying, and perfect comedy. This rules.

A- or ****1/2

• 2 weeks later...

I wrote a longer thing yesterday but the board wouldn't let me post it. Short version is this was a match with two teams who were the masters at playing their roles. I thought the rudos worked a lot better here than they did in Japan (although those matches were fun too). Very enjoyable match.

• 1 month later...

Maybe to newer fans of Lucha or non-regular Lucha watches this was something special but I dunno... to me it came off as a clipped totally average Cadets vs Exoticos match. They did their routine slower than I've seen them do it in other matches that occured years later. Super Astro even slips on a backflip which I've never seen him do. The clipping hurt as we missed the entire comeback and the comedy seemed joined out of nowhere. I guess I would compare this to someone seeing their first Johnny Saint match circa 1980 and being blown away calling it the best thing he's ever seen only to later watch some more European wrestling and realize there are better guys and/or better Johnny Saint matches where he isn't just doing his routine. Guess I'll be alone in having this low on my list.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a newer fan of Lucha and thought this was pretty special.  The opening was a lot of fun with the cat-calls and all three exoticos getting to strut their stuff.  The masked fellers were super quick and crisp and fun to watch.  Another top-quarter match for me, most likely.  The match could have used a bit more hate, but this is probably not the correct genre for a super hate-filled match.  I can live with that.  Fun is the word.

• 7 months later...

It's kind of odd to me how much I really enjoyed watching this match and "fun" is absolutely the word I would use to describe it but I don't see it breaking out of the middle of the pack on my ballot. Tons of great schtick and some spectacular dives to end the 2nd fall but it didn't feel like a "great" match as much a "really really fun" match.