DVDVR Message Board

DOCUMENTARIES

RIPPA

First - I am going to work on the premise that if it got a release in a theater it is eligible.

However - I will definitely listen to ideas for what should and should not count. Because I feel like some of the newer HBO and Netflix ones probably should could.

Actually the more I think about it - considering OJ: Made in America is the favorite to win the Oscar this year and that was ESPN - I am going to have to come up with something.

So all ideas are appreciated

Okay

I would say that it is a mortal lock that Hoop Dreams. 20 Feet From StardomĀ and Man On Wire make my ballot

I will also strongly consider Spellbound and Best Worst Movie

There are a ton that I am totally spacing on but that is my starting point.

1 minute ago, odessasteps said:

Am I the only person to pick a doc for the movie club?Ā 

I am saying no because we did 5 Obstructions and I don't think you picked that one.

I recently found my excel file of the original movie club - that will be a handy guide to not forget movies

OJ: Made in America technically had a theatrical one (yes, quite the technicality). That's why it's eligible for Oscar Consideration. I have a hard time considering that thing a film as opposed to a docu mini-series.

Also, I knowĀ Sherman's MarchĀ is one of those earliest documentaries that people refer to and I keep meaning to watch.

Dear Zachary: Letter to a Son About His FatherĀ might be still too emotionally scarring to make some people's ballots.

CitizenfourĀ is also well worth considering.

@J.T.Ā has talked about Citizenfour A LOT so just so he doesn't yell at me - I know I have to watch that before I do my ballot.

I am looking at my Flickchart to just remember shit I have watched. Umm... just throwing out names I don't think I will be putting these on my ballot but someone else might

• Jig
  • Super Size Me
  • The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
  • Good Hair
  • The Aristocrats
  • Tim's Vermeer
  • Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room
  • The War Room
  • Make Believe
  • Wordplay
  • Freakonomics
  • When We Were Kings
  • Conan O"Brien Can't Stop
  • Who Killed the Electric Car?
  • Word Wars
  • Knuckleball
  • This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Okay - I lied. When We Were Kings will definitely make my list and Tim's Vermeer and Aristocrats I will have to think long and hard about.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

@J.T.Ā has talked about Citizenfour A LOT so just so he doesn't yell at me - I know I have to watch that before I do my ballot.

I am looking at my Flickchart to just remember shit I have watched. Umm... just throwing out names I don't think I will be putting these on my ballot but someone else might

• Jig
  • Super Size Me
  • The Greatest Movie Ever Sold
  • Good Hair
  • The Aristocrats
  • Tim's Vermeer
  • Enron: Smartest Guys in the Room
  • The War Room
  • Make Believe
  • Wordplay
  • Freakonomics
  • When We Were Kings
  • Conan O"Brien Can't Stop
  • Who Killed the Electric Car?
  • Word Wars
  • Knuckleball
  • This Film Is Not Yet Rated

Okay - I lied. When We Were Kings will definitely make my list and Tim's Vermeer and Aristocrats I will have to think long and hard about.

I've joined @J.T.Ā before on Citizenfour.

A document I always bring up is Holocaust: Night Will Fall. Needs to be seen even though the subject matter is chilling.

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Oh and because of the nature of this board - I know folks will consider Beyond the Mat and Wrestling with Shadows

Beat me to Wrestling with Shadows. That's a lock for my ballot. Before the Mat won't make it.

• Like 1

Murderball is another good one. Crumb and When We Were Kings are locks and I love Tim's Vermeer almost enough to include it, but I need to make room for Nanook of the North, Man with a Movie Camera, and Welfare and thatĀ  already feels like too many docs for a list of 100 GOAT films. Decisions, decisions.

My three docs I'm considering for my list

Grizzly Man: I once someone describe this movie as a 'Werner Herzog taking a story aboutĀ a guy getting eaten by a bear making it into one of the funniest movies ever'. Ā I wouldn't go that far, but it's fascinating how funny parts of it are, considering the subject matter. Ā It's somehow also chilling, sad and infuriating. Ā Great score, too.

Gates of Heaven: Early Errol Morris documentary about a pet cemetery (Roger Ebert even included it on his Great Movies list). Ā It's totally fascinating. Ā It's like a Christopher Guest mockumentary but real. Morris has interviews with the founder who believes so strongly in the cemetery, the parents who continue on his tradition, and their two sons, one of whom has all these grandiose ideas about making more money and the other who's just kind of depressed. Ā The moment when the one son plugs in his amplifier and plays guitar out in the cemetery is strangely thrilling and sad all at once.

Encounters at the End of the World: This is probably Ā my favourite documentary. Ā Werner Herzog goes to Antarctica to film the fascinating people who work there. Ā He upsets the scientists studying penguins with his very Herzogequs questions ("Do the penguins ever go crazy?"), films volcanologists, goes through a drill about how to go outside in a blizzard, films underwater life, and watches a band play music outside in the cold. As much as it can be, this is basically Herzog's celebration of life and how strange we all are.

• 1 month later...

I did not vote for Marjoe, and I doubt very much it makes the final list. But that is a very good documentary about a guy that grew up as a child preacher who helped con people out of money, and tried to cut and run from that life as an adult. Wrestling fans will recognize everything in this film. It was blacklisted in a bunch of places down south when it came out in the 70's.

My favorite techno babble documentaries have already been mentioned so I will also grudging pimp Zero Days.

The science and tech behind the (alleged) Stuxnet worm is fascinating but Alex Gibney's political agenda may annoy you a bit.

Hoop Dreams should be on everyone's list.Ā  Everyone's.

On 1/29/2017 at 0:05 AM, J.T. said:

My favorite techno babble documentaries have already been mentioned so I will also grudging pimp Zero Days.

The science and tech behind the (alleged) Stuxnet worm is fascinating but Alex Gibney's political agenda may annoy you a bit.

Hoop Dreams should be on everyone's list.Ā  Everyone's.

As if I don't feel guilty enough for not yet having watched my Criterion of Hoop Dreams. I'm at the age where 3 hour run times for films is just daunting.

On 1/30/2017 at 0:04 PM, RIPPA said:

Then why wasn't it on yours?

1) I was under the impression we were doing a separate poll for docs.

2) My list of honorable mentions would be a mile long and you don't want me to submit a 200 item ballot.