DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

4 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

My issue with them wasn't that they were present, it was that they got from the base as everyone was scrambling into the Tantive IV which was locked in the Reddus' flag ship's hangar during the Battle of Scarif.  

I can buy Leia and the Tantive being there, as a backup to the backup to get the plans to Obi-Wan should it be needed (although I'll pitch a bitch that the Ghost was right fucking there with possibly two Jedi and a crew that's done a whole shit ton of covert ops that should've been high on the list to take those plans away, not like Jyn was being selective on where she was transmitting those plans).  It's established in other media that that the Corvettes are rather common ships and are in heavy use in the Rebellion so as long as they had multiple IDF tags (which any ship in the Rebellion should have) they could play dumb about being there even though Vader watched the ship leave.  They had time to change tags as Vader had to get back to the Devastator before they could persue.

I can dig that, but the problem is that audiences really don't give a shit about the technical.

Despite the best effort of Rogue One's visuals and put the blame on the space opera genre in general, audiences will always think that outer space combat works the same way that ocean combat does with two dimensional planar travel, visual navigation, and whatnot.. 

People will usually assume that it is nothing to give chase to a fleeing starship, even though tracking anything in outer space via "eyeballing" is a nigh impossible task and that doesn't even take into consideration the ratio of prep time (ex. calculations, crew checks, etc.) it would take a Corvette vs. a Star Destroyer to jump to hyperspace.

As my uncle said during one of his tours of the Med, you just don't flip a turn signal on an aircraft carrier and make a sharp left turn...

Once you're travelling FTL, it is game over in theory because you cannot engage in combat to slow down or stop the target you are in pursuit of because you're travelling faster than the speed of the ordinance your weapons use (ie. you're outrunning your bullets).

Some of my most favorite movies are space operas but nearly all of them throw Physics right out of the window.

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

Okay, so I finally saw this thing over the Christmas / New Year's break.

As much as I want to argue that this was a SW movie for SW fans, SW fans would've screamed at the sky in anger at the last half hour of the movie.  Putting Leia in the getaway ship in system was really stupid and it does not support the initial "this is a diplomatic mission" ruse of A New Hope at all.

Other than that, yeah.  If you're not somewhat knowledgeable about the SW universe, there are quite a few things that would fly over your head, especially stuff like the cameo from Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba.

I saw the movie three days ago and I have absolutely no idea who Dr. Evazan or Ponda Baba are.  So that kinda proves your point.

Donnie Yen was supposed to be some sort of space monk?  I thought he was supposed to be last of the Jedi or somesuch.  Actually, I thought he got lost and wandered onto the set thinking it was where they were shooting whatever movie he's really supposed to be in, and they let him stay and gave him lines because he's Donnie F***ing Yen.

Fairly certain a ton of cameos and what not either went unnoticed by me, or the signifcance went right over my head.  At one point, had this conversation about the movie:

Wife: Was that Jimmy Smits?

Me: I think so.

Wife: Why?

Me: No idea.  I vaguely remember him being in the couple Star Wars films they did in the 2000's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Donnie Yen was supposed to be some sort of space monk?  I thought he was supposed to be last of the Jedi or somesuch.  Actually, I thought he got lost and wandered onto the set thinking it was where they were shooting whatever movie he's really supposed to be in, and they let him stay and gave him lines because he's Donnie F***ing Yen.

[star wars snobbery] This takes place post Order 66, so all of the Jedi are dead save for Obi Wan and Yoda.  Chirrut Îmwe is Force sensitive, but he's not a Jedi. [/star wars snobbery]

Chirrut Îmwe's status as a Guardian of the Whill is legit since the idea of the Whill originally came from George Lucas himself from the early drafts of the SW story where Luke Skywalker was still being referred to as Luke Starkiller (ie. now you know why the moniker "starkiller" has been attached to so many things in the SWU from Vader's secret apprentice in the video games to the First Order's mega weapon in Force Awakens.):

Originally, I was trying to have the story be told by somebody else (an immortal being known as a Whill); there was somebody watching this whole story and recording it, somebody probably wiser than the mortal players in the actual events. I eventually dropped this idea, and the concepts behind the Whills turned into the Force. But the Whills became part of this massive amount of notes, quotes, background information that I used for the scripts; the stories were actually taken from the Journal of the Whills."

The Guardians of the Whill monastic order and the idea of open hand martial arts existing in the SWU, being adopted during the days of the Old Republic from Echani unarmed fighting styles, and used to counter to Mandalorian hand-to-hand combat systems are valid SW concepts, so the inspiration for Donnie Yen's character was not some magical Shaolin bullshit conjured up by Disney for the sake of marketing.

The problem again is people who are not hip to SW lore will have no clue how this stuff relates to the SWU and it will look like it is shoehorned in for the purpose of selling tickets. 

Rogue One is very much a SW movie made for SW fans and in some ways it isn't a SW movie made for SW fans.

1 hour ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

Actually, I thought he got lost and wandered onto the set thinking it was where they were shooting whatever movie he's really supposed to be in, and they let him stay and gave him lines because he's Donnie F***ing Yen.

If Donnie Yen showed up on my doorstep, he would most certainly be welcomed to stay for dinner, yo.

35 minutes ago, Horton Hears a Wooo!!! said:

I saw the movie three days ago and I have absolutely no idea who Dr. Evazan or Ponda Baba are.  So that kinda proves your point.

Dr Evazan (horribly scarred face) and Ponda Baba (furry with tusks) are the two folks who gets fucked up by Obi-Wan in Mos Eisley cantina

Jyn literally bumps into Evazan as they are walking Jetta

2 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Ponda Baba (furry with tusks) 

Affectionately known as Walrus Man to those of us who collected the Kenner SW action figures, even though his skin pigmentation was green and his tusks looked nothing like walrus tusks.

• Like 2

On 12/17/2016 at 7:36 AM, Raziel403 said:

I'll forgive Vader's punning mostly because Krennek had it coming, being the whiny petulant bitch he was.

Just finally saw this and as much an asshole as he was you gotta admit he worked his ass off.  Fly here and get this guy. Fly there and kill that guy.  Get yelled at by Tarkin so you gotta go over there and find all of this...wait, someone betrayed us over there? Well where's my ship, I'll go kill him then.  Then go see Vader and make a case to him and collect soiled shorts up and fly over to fix this thing.  Oh, they're attacking that? Fine, I'll go climb this thing and kill them myself.

And that was like 48 hours of his life. I kind of liked that about him, or at least sympathized.  Everyone else was basically just standing around looking cool and he was like Michael J Fox in THE SECRET OF MY SUCCESS trying to look cool and glide around like the big shots, but as soon as no one was looking he was running to the next disaster, shaving in his car, bringing prisoners home to torture after hours while scarfing down a t.v. dinner because it was going to be his ass and not Tarkin's or Vader's when the next disaster didn't get mopped up before the boss sees it.

• Like 5

Quick nerd question. Asking here because when you google "Star Wars timeline" you get 350,000 years of history variously labeled EU, Canon, Holocron, legends and on and on and on.

So, leaving out the flashbacks, is it clear how much actual time is taken up by the events of ROGUE ONE and A NEW HOPE combined.  Like R1 seemed like it happened within maybe 24-48 hours and Thinking back to ANH, that was maybe a couple days.

It's just kind of amazing how compact that chain of events would be in the overall timeline and how quickly the fate of the galaxy turns and turns again in the same week and how few people in that galaxy would likely every even know about any of it if it all happened that fast, you know?

I'd guess about a week, although his long the travel time in lightspeed actually is has never really been addressed. The trip for Tatooine to Alderaan might've been weeks. 

Kinda like the question in Empire of how long of time passes between Hoth and Bespin. Are Han and Leia stranded and running in space for weeks on end, or was all of Luke's training done in a couple days?

Hyperspace means never having to say you're sorry.  Space Operas are the worst at conveying passage of time or true distance thanks to FTL travel. 

Lightspeed = Meanwhile.

The other thing I like about Orso's deliberate design flaw in the DS schematics is that it speaks to the destruction of both of the Death Stars:  the one in New Hope and the one in Return of the Jedi.

No matter what configuration you construct the station, the venting system that provides the cooling for the reactors that power the main weapon will always be a weakness because that is the way the firing ignition sequence was designed to function.   The Death Star cannot fire properly if the weakness is not in place.

The destruction of Death Star II speaks to the lack of imagination in Imperial techs, the arrogance of the Emperor, and what a genius Orso actually was that the design of Death Star II was tweaked somewhat to make the reactors more difficult to target, but the overall station configuration was never improved dramatically.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:27 AM, Brian Fowler said:

However, my actual biggest complaint about the film is Inky the Mind Reading Squid thing. We never see him verify Bhodi's story, he's never mentioned again, and Bhodi doesn't appear to have lost his mind for more than a few minutes, tops. It's just weird and feels like it's vestigial from an earlier draft or something.

I didn't even think about it until a few days later though, so I guess not that big of a deal

What Niners Fan said.  The scene with the telepathic slug was there to attempt to show how Saw's methods were more extreme than the Alliance's, even though that one general lied to Jyn about wanting to rescue her father, sent Andor on an assassination mission, and followed it up with a bombing run to make sure that Galen Orso did not make it off of Eadu alive.

There were a lot of angels with tarnished halos in this movie.

Just got back from seeing it. I really enjoyed it, I didn't think it was slow as the story stayed interesting and moving.

I didn't read this entire thread but I do think that Star Wars fans are both the best and the worst. Star Wars fans are so devoted, and that's awesome, but like Star Trek fans sometimes they get a bit carried away. Science fiction movies have never cared about making the 'time' work out, and cameos are always just supposed to be something fun for old fans. I mean Stan Lee is in all his movies, I don't think it kills the aura, its something that movies have been doing forever and its not something that is intended to be over-thought. Although fans over-analyzing a two second throw-away scene is a very Star Wars Nerd thing to do ;)

I thought the whole cast was great, there wasn't any character I thought later was poorly cast or acted, pretty much everything worked. I really have no complaints about it, it didn't have the epic feel of TFA but as a side story it was about as good as I could have hoped for. Looking forward to seeing it a second time this weekend with my parents (their first time seeing it) as they aren't hardcore Star Wars fans like I am and I like to get a different opinion from those that just see it as a sci-fi action movie and nothing more going into it.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got  around to seeing it with my mom. What struck me, because I was with her, is if they really did 'dumb it down' from being intense like the rumors said then I'd love to see what it was before, as it was certainly the most intense Star Wars movie. I am immune to such things, but my mother is not. She's a bit sensitive, like she couldn't watch the war scenes in Forrest Gump and didn't get through Dark Knight Rises type of sensitive. Anyway, she made it through Star Wars but had to close her eyes during some of the dying scenes. The lack of blood helps but the beach scenes in particular I think reminded her of war movies.

I also had to chuckle as people were complaining about time-issues, but didn't mention the worst one of all - how exactly did Jyn get to the bottom of the basin and back up to see her father in about 20 minutes. It didn't bother me personally, but I've been mountain climbing and if you can see the peak from the ground, it still takes hours to get there, and I've never climbed a 1,000 rung ladder before but I can imagine it sucks. Normal action movie stuff of course, but more noticeable than people escaping a city that is about to be blown up when shit was already going down.

12 hours ago, Kevin Wilson said:

I finally got  around to seeing it with my mom. What struck me, because I was with her, is if they really did 'dumb it down' from being intense like the rumors said then I'd love to see what it was before, as it was certainly the most intense Star Wars movie. I am immune to such things, but my mother is not. She's a bit sensitive, like she couldn't watch the war scenes in Forrest Gump and didn't get through Dark Knight Rises type of sensitive. Anyway, she made it through Star Wars but had to close her eyes during some of the dying scenes. The lack of blood helps but the beach scenes in particular I think reminded her of war movies.

I also had to chuckle as people were complaining about time-issues, but didn't mention the worst one of all - how exactly did Jyn get to the bottom of the basin and back up to see her father in about 20 minutes. It didn't bother me personally, but I've been mountain climbing and if you can see the peak from the ground, it still takes hours to get there, and I've never climbed a 1,000 rung ladder before but I can imagine it sucks. Normal action movie stuff of course, but more noticeable than people escaping a city that is about to be blown up when shit was already going down.

I didn't feel they dumbed it down.  Rather, I felt a lot of the early stuff in the film was a convoluted mess.  So much so that they had to rip off the whole "Planet Name and Description" thing from Guardians of the Galaxy every time they showed a new planet.  They have never done that in a Star Wars film and it stuck out like a sore thumb.

I absolutely agree with the mountain climbing thing.  They were really far away from the platform when they landed.  Cassian had to climb up and over a bit to just get a level shot, but somehow Jyn could get right to the platform in the same amount of time?  That was a real WTF moment for me.  Maybe she had hidden jets in her feet like R2D2.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...