DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

2 hours ago, Oyaji said:

I didn't love it and I was a little surprised by the universal praise on here. It's a fine movie but I felt like nearly all of the characters were thin and I couldn't get emotionally invested in them. Plus, having the same shit happen twice with Saw and then Galen was lame. There were some absolutely beautiful cinematography though.

I get where you're coming from with the characters. I think we all do. At the same time, it almost doesn't matter. It's probably us and our biases speaking but we watch this movie and we turn that into a strength. It's not that they're not fully developed. It's that we never get to completely know them. We only really get a hint at her training and her rap sheet. We only get a taste at his tragedy. We get a glimpse at Mads' happiness, as compromised as it was. We get the vague sense of relief that the pilot wasn't just insane the whole movie from the shoggoth or whatever. At least he was more of a character than he could have been. These are the grunts. These are the soldiers on the ground. These are the spies and the misfits and the rank and file. They're burnt out and they get just a touch of glory here and then they burn out brightly before we ever really get to know them but after we find that we really, truly want to. It works because we love the property. It works because of all the things that the movie does right. It works because we want it to work.

But it works for us.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

because Hyperdrives don't exist in Star Wars apparently

So they got off two minutes before it exploded? If they were actually passing through Mos Eisley, it would've made sense.  

To me it was just bad fan service to show those characters.

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Gareth Edwards might be a better director than J.J. right.  Everything I've seen from him is stunning, incredible looking shots from this guy.   J.J. comes off as a hired gun to me.

It's a good thing he had Tony Gilroy there to be his co-director and movie fixer.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So they got off two minutes before it exploded? If they were actually passing through Mos Eisley, it would've made sense.  

Maybe it's less if an Easter Egg, and more of a how did Leia get to Tattooine so quickly explanation? For all we know, the two planets (or the systems they're in) are very close to each other and one is the logical next stop for everyone heading east from the other.

This movie was okay, but other than the space dogfight scenes, honestly brought very little to the table. I enjoyed it, Star Wars fans will enjoy it, but if a film of the same quality bore any other franchise banner the positive vibe would drop by a third. The space fight was great though especially the visuals with the giant ring.

There's not a single memorable line of dialogue in this movie. I saw the film within the last 6 hours and I have to look up the names of characters.

This was the Star Wars answer to Star Trek III: The Search For Spock. For fan's eyes only. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's nothing I can imagine rushing to revisit either.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Which makes you wonder, why they also needed to go get Obi-Wan when they had 2 Jedi on call already.  The Rogues mission was pretty much tailored for Hera and Cannan to have gone "Fuck it, we're in".

Because Obi Wan made Darth Vader wear that life support suit, that's why. :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

If Saving Private Ryan had a baby with the Holy Trilogy, that was then raised on nothing but Bond and John Le Carre... It would be Rogue One.

And then they cleared off removing the helmet in Jedi, Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, "NOOOOOOOO" and all the rest the last thirty three years have heaped on Darth Vader and restored the greatest villain of cinema to his bad ass glory. All hail.

I think removing the helmet in Jedi worked, but the rest of the stuff is shit. Watching Jedi on TNT the other day, they added the fucking "NO" shit to the end when Emperor is shocking the shit out of Luke. Lucas sure fucked Jedi up something good with all the special edition crap. . .

1 hour ago, Kuetsar said:

I think removing the helmet in Jedi worked, but the rest of the stuff is shit. Watching Jedi on TNT the other day, they added the fucking "NO" shit to the end when Emperor is shocking the shit out of Luke. Lucas sure fucked Jedi up something good with all the special edition crap. . .

It works for the story they told. It doesn't work for keeping Vader as a complete badass.

13 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Now that I've watched Rogue One I find myself wishing it was this cast of characters for episode VIII.

I wish there were more adventures with this motley crew. Keep them away from the main movies thou, just more spinoffs with them.

Hey, maybe K-2SO uploaded his AI along with the plans like a benign Helios/SHODAN.

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

It works for the story they told. It doesn't work for keeping Vader as a complete badass.

It was his moment of redemption Lucas was telling! He was dying and wanted to see his son with his own eyes before going. This is crazy to complain about imo. 

• Like 1

I was just in Walgreens looking at Christmas decorations of Vader and a Stormtrooper putting up a tree, and a Vader tree topper, and a book about Vader and his kids.  Last week I would have just went "sure, I guess Vader wasn't such a bad dude and I can buy the retcon making him a good dude".....but after Rogue One...fuck that.  There will only be evil Vader paraphernalia in my home from now on.  

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Are the Star Wars movies suddenly 24 and operating in real time?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Between the time they were seen and the time the Death Star ID4'd Jeddah City:

A Rebel attack on a crystal shipment happened, the Rogues were taken by Saw's men, then marched/moved miles away to Saw's hideout, which was well established to be REALLY far from the city itself, and every Imperial in the planned damage radius was evaced before the Death Star fired.  It was plenty of time for those 2 to leave Jeddah and mosey over to Tatooine.  If you were someone paying attention to the movements of local law enforcement (which They would've have been, having the Death Sentence on Twelve Systems), you'd realize something was up when they all were leaving the area post-haste while a Star Destroyer was hanging over the city, a ship that could reign Hellfire on a city if it wanted to.

The bad fan service was the short shot of Artoo and Threepio standing in the hangar at Yavin while everyone was scrambling when they needed to be on the ship that was established to be in the Command Ship's hold during the battle that everyone was scrambling to because that's where they are about 20 minutes after this movie is over and the next one starts.

• Like 3

I didn't love the Artoo/Threepio cameo. I thought the Vader pun was a little much, but at the same time, you could totally see Ani making a stupid pun like that. I think he was weathered by what happens in Star Wars to some degree? I don't know. 

I was a kid who grew up in the early 80s. The idea of the Death Star getting blown up and Vader being Luke's father were all sort of givens in watching and experiencing Star Wars. It meant that there was never quite a sense of urgency to the movies to me. It was more like ritual. If nothing else, this movie helped to bring back that sense of urgency for me. They were fighting so hard just for an impossible chance at an impossible chance. because that's all they had.

My biggest frustration with Force Awakens was that it felt like it invalidated the original trilogy. They destroyed two Death Stars just so some group of neo-imperialist brats could build a third one and actually get to blow up the entire SYSTEM that contains the capital New Republic this time instead of just threaten to do so or take out one planet. So this didn't help that. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, supremebve said:

If you had a choice between an Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kanan, and whatever is left of a 400 year old elf to help you destroy the most devastating piece of weaponry in the entire galaxy who would you pick?  I'm picking Obi-Wan.  Yoda in his prime is clearly the #1 pick, but he's in a swamp somewhere without wi-fi, and they don't really have time to go find his little ass, nor does he seem like he's in fighting shape.  Kanan is essentially a grown ass padawan, who is younger than Obi-Wan, but clearly inferior in every other way when it comes to being a Jedi.  Ideally they would bring all of them, but it seems like Obi-Wan is the most qualified, and is clearly in reach.

Bear in mind, Obi Wan is also the one person in the universe who knows how to fuck with Vader's head. 

Which he does in A New Hope. And quite spectacularly so. 

11 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I didn't love the Artoo/Threepio cameo.

My feelings too.

Most of the cameos worked very, very well. Even factoring in Leia's not-exactly-wonderful CGI, her bit at the end was terrific. Because it meant something to the plot and story.

Artoo/Threepop simply felt like "Well, it's Star Wars. These two have to be in every film, right?" 

Too much of a wink, IMO.

5 hours ago, Oyaji said:

It was his moment of redemption Lucas was telling! He was dying and wanted to see his son with his own eyes before going. This is crazy to complain about imo. 

You know what stories of redemption do? They make you less badass. 

It's a great story beat. But to deny that scene takes the edge off the Dark Lord of the Sith is crazy.

4 hours ago, Matt D said:

My biggest frustration with Force Awakens was that it felt like it invalidated the original trilogy. They destroyed two Death Stars just so some group of neo-imperialist brats could build a third one and actually get to blow up the entire SYSTEM that contains the capital New Republic this time instead of just threaten to do so or take out one planet. So this didn't help that. 

The idea of the extreme right returning to power on the basis of using old tropes seems pretty timely right about now. 

And Brian, I'll take a scene which humanized him in such a powerful way that it still gets me to this day over him staying bad ass until the end. It is that kind of sentiment that has simplified the GOT show so badly. 

Edited by Oyaji
Don't post while on medication
  • Like 1