DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

Which makes you wonder, why they also needed to go get Obi-Wan when they had 2 Jedi on call already.  The Rogues mission was pretty much tailored for Hera and Cannan to have gone "Fuck it, we're in".

I thought the Tarkin CGI was amazing. I thought it was a lookalike actor until a few tells slipped through. The Young Leia CGI was terribly obvious and shoddy tho.

Overall, I thought this movie was incredible. Yeah the characterizations weren't that great - I loved Jyn but she went from "I couldn't care less about the Rebellion" to being Captain Rebel almost instantly - but I'm glad we finally got a movie that showed just exactly how bad it was under the Empire and what the Rebels had to go through during their Rebellion before Luke, Han and Leia emerged to swing the tide.

Speaking of which, I gotta give credit to Disney for letting Gareth go dark. Star Wars, like it or not, is a kid thing and I can't imagine seeing this at 6 or 7. I cried for 3 days when Optimus Prime died and here we had wholesale sci-fi D-Day type sacrifice. Did love that they returned Vader to being the badass killing machine that terrified kids. That final 5 minute rampage was definitely the mark-out moment of the year.

Then again, quibbles aside, I pretty much loved everything about Rogue One. It was the Dirty Dozen with blasters!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Raziel403 said:

Which makes you wonder, why they also needed to go get Obi-Wan when they had 2 Jedi on call already.  The Rogues mission was pretty much tailored for Hera and Cannan to have gone "Fuck it, we're in".

If you had a choice between an Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kanan, and whatever is left of a 400 year old elf to help you destroy the most devastating piece of weaponry in the entire galaxy who would you pick?  I'm picking Obi-Wan.  Yoda in his prime is clearly the #1 pick, but he's in a swamp somewhere without wi-fi, and they don't really have time to go find his little ass, nor does he seem like he's in fighting shape.  Kanan is essentially a grown ass padawan, who is younger than Obi-Wan, but clearly inferior in every other way when it comes to being a Jedi.  Ideally they would bring all of them, but it seems like Obi-Wan is the most qualified, and is clearly in reach.

• Like 3

I'm pretty sure the only people post-purge that knew Yoda survived was the Emperor, Obi-Wan, Bail Organa, R2 (3PO's mind was wiped), and however was on the ship and medical facility that the twins were born at.  

And going by Rebels, Maul and Ezra.

1 hour ago, supremebve said:

If you had a choice between an Obi-Wan Kenobi, Kanan, and whatever is left of a 400 year old elf to help you destroy the most devastating piece of weaponry in the entire galaxy who would you pick?  I'm picking Obi-Wan.  Yoda in his prime is clearly the #1 pick, but he's in a swamp somewhere without wi-fi, and they don't really have time to go find his little ass, nor does he seem like he's in fighting shape.  Kanan is essentially a grown ass padawan, who is younger than Obi-Wan, but clearly inferior in every other way when it comes to being a Jedi.  Ideally they would bring all of them, but it seems like Obi-Wan is the most qualified, and is clearly in reach.

Haha love this.  Plus...if you pick Kanan you get that little dick head Ezra.  Talk about a Mary Sue or whatever, guy fucks up everything , then within 17 minutes figures it all out and has unlimited Jedi power.  

• Like 1

Watching Rogue One makes me wish TFA was done like this and not the Abrams standard "cram as many call backs" nostaliga hackjob it ended up being.

And hope the Episode VIII team can remedy that.

• Like 1

My bud after we headed to a bar post viewing...

"Guys I think there was a Wampa in the movie, and the I don't like your face guy..."

I've never seen him so hyped for anything ever.

I really enjoyed it, easily the best prequel. If you count this, New Hope and Empire as its own trilogy, that's as close to a perfect trilogy IMO.

• Like 1

I didn't love it and I was a little surprised by the universal praise on here. It's a fine movie but I felt like nearly all of the characters were thin and I couldn't get emotionally invested in them. Plus, having the same shit happen twice with Saw and then Galen was lame. There were some absolutely beautiful cinematography though.

33 minutes ago, Tromatagon said:

A lot of people are shitting on the cameo, but fuck you, Dr. Evazan is my favorite Star Wars character

Truth. He and Donnie Yen were the best things in this.

• Like 2

I wonder if any of the special features on the Blu-Ray will explain how  then ended up with what they ended up with, when they'd planned on making this:

Because there's very little of that trailer that ended up being in the movie.

If Saving Private Ryan had a baby with the Holy Trilogy, that was then raised on nothing but Bond and John Le Carre... It would be Rogue One.

And then they cleared off removing the helmet in Jedi, Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christensen, "NOOOOOOOO" and all the rest the last thirty three years have heaped on Darth Vader and restored the greatest villain of cinema to his bad ass glory. All hail.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think Gareth Edwards might be a better director than J.J. right.  Everything I've seen from him is stunning, incredible looking shots from this guy.   J.J. comes off as a hired gun to me.

Edwards is definitely the better visual storyteller.  As a writer, I don't think he's all that much better, just kind of his opposite.  JJ is great at drawing characters and evoking emotion, but his plots are shitty and nonsensical the moment you stop to think about anything.  Edwards does solid plots but writes flat characters that are difficult to care about.

Fortunately, when you're the Mouse, you can just pay Tony Gilroy $5 million to shore up the weak points.