DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

Rogue One is an excellent accompany piece because it explains the one big great plot hole in A New Hope.

Overs the years, everyone from film critics to comic fans to Robot Chicken to Family Guy have joked about “Why build such a big, scary expensive death star with such a glaringly obviously flaw?”

Answer; Because the guy who helped create it secretly hated the empire and was sabotaging that thing from the get to.

And instantly told the Alliance about that glaringly obviously flaw.. 

A truly dazzling, quirky little film twist. And it makes complete and total sense. 

• Like 8

It's nothing like the trailers made it look though. That sold it as a fun Star Wars adventure movie with a perky female lead. Whereas the actual film is dark (as in a lot of the scenes aren't very well lit, and in terms of the fact that for all they talk about hope, they're all pretty much without hope for almost all of it) and does the Blackadder finish.

Not sure why everyone who got killed by a grenade chose to spend their final seconds looking at it though. Would have made more sense to run away or try to throw it back it something - arguably Bodhi Rook should have thrown himself on the grenade so the blast didn't prevent the circuit he'd just connected... I really hope they don't re-edit those scenes to make a faster broadband advert*. You know some advertising agency somewhere is drooling at the prospect of that.

* They did that with X-Men Apocalypse over here. Quicksilver hanging out at the Mansion and not being able to do everything before the download completed or some shit. It was disgraceful. Bloody Rupert Murdoch.

23 hours ago, AxB said:

When you watch episodes 2 & 3, and the Clone Wars series, it's very clear that in no way is Bail Organa the overall admiral or Field Marshall of the Senate forces. But ever since the first movie, it was clear he told Leia he was, and that Obi-Wan was serving him. And then he said it again in Rogue One. What lead him to think that? Was he doing some sort of co-ordinating of deployments or something that for some reason we were never shown? Or was he just vainglorious in general?

Organa took charge when speaking to Yoda and Obi Wan at the end of Episode 3.

• Like 1

I can honestly say I loved this and it smoked TFA in every way. Jyn is a better leader character than Rey too. Couple of minor nitpicks, but this was an honest to goodness, emotional flick, and didn't have to rely on nostalgia to sell it.

• Like 3

It was much better than TFA, but it was still a pretty flawed film.  While the rewrites probably saved the movie, at the same time you can REALLY TELL this was a movie that was significantly rewritten.  Most of the character arcs just weren't believable at all.  Like, I didn't buy Cassian's transformation from ruthless fuck to the dude who shows up leading the Red Shirt Army because Jyn made a sappy speech.  

And then there's just other weird stuff, like that message Galen specifically sent to Saw, but then he spends the whole thing talking specifically to Jyn because Tony Gilroy (correctly) felt Jyn and her father needed to have an emotional scene together before he died.  I mean, it's clearly better that way, but still weird if you think about it at all.

I feel like the great, weirdly crowd-pleasing ending probably papers over what was just a pretty solid movie up until that point.

I would definitely watch a prequel to ROGUE ONE that was all about Donnie Yen and Jiang Wen, though.  Their relationship was fantastic, and they probably had the least screen time of anybody.

Going in, I really only knew that (a) this was a movie about stealing the Death Star plans, (b) Alan Tudyk is in it and (c) it has a female protagonist.  I had somehow missed basically all the other hypecycle shit, and I'm probably happier for it.

I liked it a lot, but it's not remotely the movie I expected based on those fragments.  I was really expecting this to be more of a spy movie, and was legit surprised when fleet-to-fleet combat ensued and thousands of dead Rebels and Imps started piling up toward the end.  When K2 went down, I kind of figured nobody was getting out--Star Wars is weirdly sentimental about droids, after all.  I want to know more of Saw's story, and the Jedhans in general.  

A friend called this history's most expensive Marvel No-Prize, and I can't argue with that critique, but it was a hell of a ride to get there.  (also, something something Kyle Katarn.)

On first watch this was easily the best of the modern day Star Wars films to me. I can't even begin to list all of the moments.  Such a weird day. We went and saw Rogue One and then I come home and go straight into Roadblock so I've had no time to sit down and read any other thoughts and opinions. We were so happy leaving the theater, I haven't had that feeling leaving a movie in a while.

How beautiful was this also? That's something too..  the eye candy was immense.  I'm going to read everyone else first and collect my thoughts.

• Like 1

Great flic! The number one thing I love about it is the emphasis on one core element: meaningful sacrifices. All the protagonists (and even the antagonist in some way) sacrificed themselves for the greater cause. Also, I think this movie is a great example how to do proper homages (unlike the last one which verged on pandering, still great but nevertheless pandering).

I can't help but compare it to Wushu films especially in the Erso family. Even when they turned against the Empire, their past would come back to balance out the karma. And it took the entire family to do it (with the father taking the brunt of it).

Probably the best complement I can give this movie is that it felt like a story in the Knights of the Old Republic universe.

The ending was immense, went home and watched A New Hope straight away. It's completely seamless how they segue into each other, could see a lot of cinemas showing both as a double feature once word gets out. 

Loved that they used stock footage of gold leader etc in the attack fleet, gave it an amazing nostalgia. Thought the Cushing CGI was jaw dropping, Leia not as much. 

Vader kicking ass at the end was perfect. So pleased we got a Donnie Yen doing a kung fu scene with multiple stormtroopers, would kill for a spin off about him and his friend.

Felicity Jones has another film in her contract doesn't she? Not sure what timeframe they're setting the Han Solo spin off movie in, but there's a chance we could see her in that. I imagine it to be set around the same time.

The Tarkin thing was funny. My date(who isn't really Star Wars knowledgeable) was like he's CGI, and I'm like "nah, they just got someone who looks alot like Cushing". Then I see him again and I'm like "man, he REALLY looks like Cushing", until I start looking closer and realizing it is in fact CGI. Then of course Leia at the end confirmed it.

Glad I'm not the only one that thought Saw sounded like Broken Matt.

40 minutes ago, Playa Shunna Ver 3.0 said:

Loved the movie.  Watched Ep IV the next night and it was a seemless transition.  Very well done.  One major issue....how did Walrusman and the Doc get off Jedha so quickly?  I guess they were already on the way out.  

You tend to keep moving when you have the death sentence on twelve systems. 

• Like 10

13 hours ago, RandomAct said:

I can honestly say I loved this and it smoked TFA in every way. Jyn is a better leader character than Rey too. Couple of minor nitpicks, but this was an honest to goodness, emotional flick, and didn't have to rely on nostalgia to sell it.

Jyn could have been fleshed out more a little, admittedly.

But she was way less of a Mary Sue than Rey.

• Like 1

Vader going batshit on those guys in that hallway, man. That was some Jason Voorhees shit right there. 

In about a minute they did more with the Vader character than the prequels ever did. 

My mark out cinema moment of 2016. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, King Leonidas Of Sparta said:

Thought the Cushing CGI was jaw dropping, Leia not as much. 

Leia was, eh, fine. I thought anyway. Not bad enough to be distracting, at least. A bit like Walker in Furious 7. You can easily spot it, but it still works because of the power of the scene. 

And, yes, Cushing was astoundingly well-done. He literally looked like any other live action actor.

The CGI, while noticable, is really good.  

Man, watching an Easter Egg video that pointed out that the Ghost was at the Battle of Skerrif, meaning that at least some of the Rebels cast makes it as far as Rogue One.