DVDVR Message Board

Star Wars Rogue One Spoiler Thread (For people who have seen the movie)

goodhelmet

Just came back from seeing it.  I'm so glad I went in with lowered expectations, because I came out thinking it was one of the better movies I've seen this year.  My only gripes were:

-K-2SO.  I came to the conclusion that it was basically Sheldon Cooper as a droid. I was initially annoyed in a Jar Jar way, but as the movie progressed, I really did enjoy him.

-"Do you want a fresh one?"  REALLY???  Stealing from Analyze This? I hated that so much...

No other complaints right now though.  Can't wait to see it again.

They really went all-in on the CGI for Tarkin. It's only been 6 years since Tron: Legacy, and between this and Ant-Man, it looks amazing now. I'm guessing Stephen Stanton did his voice? He does it for the cartoons. 

I admit to getting misty when Chirrut died.

My ONLY problem is unless I got my times wrong, if the Tantive IV was on the command ship that was already headed for Skerrif, how the fuck did Artoo and Threepio get on it if this is rolling right into IV?

Seven deities was the last 5 minutes of Vader in action the fucking greatest SW thing since Empire.  I want a standalone Vader flick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

I thought Forest Whitaker was still alive.  Why did they CGI his head on Broken Matt Hardy?

Loved this movie but goddamn dude we need you at a six and you are at a 20

Something seemed off about his face while I was watching the movie.  It wasn't until afterwards when I rewatched the first trailer to see what they changed or took out of the movie that it hit me: they CG'd HIS HAIR.

Between this and Matt Damon's beard in THE MARTIAN, it seems not even the wig makers' jobs are safe.

See when Bail Organa said he was returning to Alderaan, did anyone in your screening shout a big "No!"? Someone in mine did.

CGI Peter Cushing was in quite a lot of this movie, and he's been dead for over 20 years (he was in Revenge o' the Sith for a few seconds digitally. Nothing like in this though). Grand Moff Tarkin was a total sleazy politician, wasn't he? Letting Krennic do all that work and then stealing the credit for it, then having the Death Star fire on the base when there were far more imperial troopers down there than rebels (in fact, basically all of the rebels down there were dead already, weren't they?). Then again, he ordered an act of Genocide in episode 4, so it's not like him being an arsehole was out of character.

What was their actual extraction plan? Get the plans to Leia, who would bring them to Obi-Wan for some reason, and then he would... do something. Why weren't they just bringing the data disc back to Yavin 4?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AxB said:

What was their actual extraction plan? Get the plans to Leia, who would bring them to Obi-Wan for some reason, and then he would... do something. Why weren't they just bringing the data disc back to Yavin 4?

I think the plan was probably to bring Obi-Wan in to lead the rebel forces to take down the Death Star.  The Force intervened and Luke was the one meant to take down the Death Star, redeem his father, and bring balance to the galaxy.

4 hours ago, AxB said:

See when Bail Organa said he was returning to Alderaan, did anyone in your screening shout a big "No!"? Someone in mine did.

CGI Peter Cushing was in quite a lot of this movie, and he's been dead for over 20 years (he was in Revenge o' the Sith for a few seconds digitally. Nothing like in this though). Grand Moff Tarkin was a total sleazy politician, wasn't he? Letting Krennic do all that work and then stealing the credit for it, then having the Death Star fire on the base when there were far more imperial troopers down there than rebels (in fact, basically all of the rebels down there were dead already, weren't they?). Then again, he ordered an act of Genocide in episode 4, so it's not like him being an arsehole was out of character.

That actually wasn't CG in Revenge of the Sith. 

moff_tarkin-revenge-sith-cameo.png?w=768

tarkin.jpg

When you watch episodes 2 & 3, and the Clone Wars series, it's very clear that in no way is Bail Organa the overall admiral or Field Marshall of the Senate forces. But ever since the first movie, it was clear he told Leia he was, and that Obi-Wan was serving him. And then he said it again in Rogue One. What lead him to think that? Was he doing some sort of co-ordinating of deployments or something that for some reason we were never shown? Or was he just vainglorious in general?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

When you watch episodes 2 & 3, and the Clone Wars series, it's very clear that in no way is Bail Organa the overall admiral or Field Marshall of the Senate forces. But ever since the first movie, it was clear he told Leia he was, and that Obi-Wan was serving him. And then he said it again in Rogue One. What lead him to think that? Was he doing some sort of co-ordinating of deployments or something that for some reason we were never shown? Or was he just vainglorious in general?

Now that I think about it, he does seem like a dude no one thinks is important but himself.  I remember a few years ago there was a story about how really minor politicians basically spend millions of taxpayer dollars on security details and other shit, just because they can.  It is something that supposedly happens all the time.  The mayor of Paducah, Kentucky takes his family on an international vacation, hires ten security guards and charges it to the city.  He acts like a big shot, his family thinks he's a big shot, but no one else on the planet gives a flying fuck about him.  Bail got Leia outchea thinking her dad is hot shit, but really he's just a self important blowhard. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Victator said:

I don't care about spoilers.  

Hide contents

Rogue One spoilers, Alderan is destroyed and the Death Star blown up.

But is Darth Vader a bad ass here? I feel like someone landing a hit on him should be huge. I thought Rebels took some liberties with Vader. 

This movie basically reestablished how much of a badass Vader is and why everyone shit their pants at the mere sight of him in the OT.

Far as what the extraction plan was, there was none.  The fleet were basically winging it since the Rogues went on their own and the fleet showed up to grab them, or the plans, or anything.  They basically got lucky they managed to take out the shield and the plans got transmitted.  I'm thinking Leia just happened to be along as a last ditch way to get the plans out, and figured while she was out, swinging by Tatooine to pick up Obi-Wan, which would be smarter than heading right back to Yavin.

Tarkin's Death Staring the base was more "I don't know if anyone got the plans off", and "I don't want anyone else taking another shot at them", and "Fuck it, Krennek is useless, don't care if he's vaped".  Vader's whole slaughterhouse run was him making sure the plans didn't make it out of the system.

• Like 2