DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK

RIPPA

I'm curious to see how the UK title deal will work.  Given all the people they have on current NXT roster, is this almost doing how they used to do developmental with them giving guys money to go out and work like they did with guys like Edge and Christian?  Maybe have Bate work his normal deal to gain a little more experience because he's so young but it's a "We've got our eye on you kid.".  I think Dunne and Andrews could very easily be popped right into 205. 

I don't know what their plans are, but I kinda hope they keep the UK guys away from the Raw/Smackdown/NXT/205 stuff, and just concentrate on growing the UK as almost like a separate promotion.

• Like 1

All around great night. Dunne/Andrews was MOTN but not by much.

Second that Brainbuster, holyshit that looked brutal.

Balor's entrance surprising even the commentators was great.

The MVP of the night: everyone selling. Like everyone sold injuries throughout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cameron Swift said:

I don't know what their plans are, but I kinda hope they keep the UK guys away from the Raw/Smackdown/NXT/205 stuff, and just concentrate on growing the UK as almost like a separate promotion.

That would be essentially five promotions to run.  WWE has vast resources, but I don't know if they can continue to stretch themselves like that.

Day 1 was solid and did a great in setting up tonight.   Day 2 was really good. I enjoyed the hell out of it.  The final with Bate vs. Dunne was captivating stuff.  It was a nice surprise to see Tommy End against Neville also.  That venue is beautiful.  That belt is awesome.  Bate winning and the crowd begging for him to win and the booking delivering on that win,  that does not happen in WWE very often these days. 

Dunne and Bate can be stars. I really like Wolfgang also.  I've seen a lot of these guys on Progress or ICW but some of them I didn't know.  It was a very entertaining night. 

5 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

I'm curious to see how the UK title deal will work.  Given all the people they have on current NXT roster, is this almost doing how they used to do developmental with them giving guys money to go out and work like they did with guys like Edge and Christian?  Maybe have Bate work his normal deal to gain a little more experience because he's so young but it's a "We've got our eye on you kid.".  I think Dunne and Andrews could very easily be popped right into 205. 

I think the Bate thing probably would be there- if they gave the UK title to Bate when he's 19 (and Performance Center's age limit is apparently 21), it does seem more like: Bate's signed by WWE, but he's staying in the UK as the champ to get seasoning until his 21st birthday- then drops it to another promising under-21 guy WWE wants and repeat.

I'm only watching NIght 1 now, and I have to say; whether it's my place or not, I'm proud of each and everyone of these guys. Great stuff.

Great night for Dunne especially. I loved the Bruiserweight against Gallagher in the CWC qualifying, but he's kicked it up a whole bunch of notches since then. There's definitely a place for him on RAW/Smackdown down the track. 

2 hours ago, Sin Carne said:

We're only making plans for Nigel.

And now that song is stuck in my head. I was rooting for Trent Seven to win but a great tournament and a much better display of what UK wrestling is about as opposed to that WoS special

I thought we'd see a Seven/Bate semi-final, but I think it made sense to go with Wolfgang for the semi - not seen the match yet, but Wolfie delivered in the first round. Seven's fine because he ultimately has the connection with Bate. They did a pretty good job of protecting most of the guys somewhat, even in defeat.

What a great show night 2 was. I was hooked. The crowd were going crazy for Bate and I was too. Marked like hell when he won. Dunno is awesome too, I saw him a few months back and he plays that role so well. 

Have to admit it blew that WoS show out the water. If they get a weekly show of their own I will watch, for sure. 

Really really good stuff. 

I'm saving the full shows for work and only have gotten to see the final so far, but I absolutely loved it.  Loved the presentation, LOVED the commentary (WWE Network Michael Cole is by far best Michael Cole) and the in-ring was fantastic.  Looking forward to watching the rest and definitely looking forward to what's next.

• RIPPA unpinned this topic
On January 16, 2017 at 2:24 AM, Sin Carne said:

We're only making plans for Nigel.

I recall during Nigel's early days in HWA some friends and I suggested that for his new theme and he shut the idea down quickly. Am I still bitter? A tad...just a tad.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

So is the UK title supposed to work like the European title?  Like will Tyler Bate defend it, or just have it as a ceremonial tournament trophy win?

For it to work like the Euro title, at some point he has to face D-Lo Brown.

• Like 2

This was so damn entertaining. The UK Tournament and Cruiserweight Classic just illustrate how much fun simple, straightforward wrestling booking can be. One match per wrestler, with a 15-second vignette, did more to define characters and establish heels/faces than hours upon hours of Raw. 

There wasn't a bad match in the bunch, the crowd was as electric as the Attitude Era, and the team of Cole & Nigel was terrific. Cole's really quite good when he isn't being forced to shill. 

• Like 1

It's odd that the top guys in the tournament (Tyler Bate, Pete Dunne, Trent Seven) all came out of the same Birmingham scene. But they couldn't really acknowledge why there was a Birmingham for them to come out of. Because it was carried on the back of Rockstar Spud and Dave Mastiff. Neither of whom's existence can be recognised by WWE at this moment. If they do get the WWE UK weekly show running, and then WoS doesn't get picked up, the Rampage & Mastiff invasion will be epic.