DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK

RIPPA

Good showing considering how hamstrung they were with most of the A level UK talent under deals elsewhere with the exception of ZSJ. I agree with the sentiment on Tucker v. Bate. Dunne and Andrews stood out as performers. Can't wrap my head around the guys that like Conners. He came off like unbuttered toast. Just a guy......who wrestled an an average match. The bulk of his personality seems to be "remember how Mick Foley lost part of his ear? That happened to me as well!"

• Like 1

Great show. Loved the Tommy End surprise (and not Aloysius Buck) and that was a good match. Dunne had two great matches in one night, Andrews looked very good as he almost always does, and Bate was soooo good. I haven't seen him do much flying in the matches I've seen of his... Was that supposed to be a 360 stomp or a 450? Either way, it worked.

I'm trying to figure out why I had such low expectations for this - really great stuff, especially today's show. Not to take anything away from the main event but that Andrews/Dunne match was a beautiful way to put together a high flyer vs. brawler match. And Dunne bumping/selling for Tyler's strikes in the final: terrific.

Holy fuck, if you didn't watch this show, get on the network now and start watching.

Dunne v Gradwell kicked off in a fun sprint.  Crowd was loving Dunne, which is a problem when he's the heel, but I felt like Gradwell showed good fire that didn't turn this into a "Thank You Neville" fans cheering the heel situation.

Andrews vs. Connors was perfectly fine wrestling.

Wolfgang vs. Seven I thought was a lot of fun and I guess an upset.  I think Wolfgang is a guy who I don't know if WWE would see a lot in given his look, but I liked his big guy stuff and nice mix of agile spots.

Liked Bate vs. Devlin.

Then, HOLY SHIT, Pete Dunne vs. Mark Andrews.  My match of the night.  Loved the dynamic of this match.

Bate vs. Wolfgang was a follow up, another strong outing.  Dunne continues to be a heel douche

Neville vs. End was a nice surprise, first time seeing End other than some clips, very fun.

Dunne vs. Bate was a great final.  It feels like Dunne is a made man even without the win and Bate looks really good throughout.

• Like 1

Fantastic 2 nights. I was totally expecting Dunne to win, with Tyler getting some shine in losing as a valiant face. But that ending was great. And there are stories to be told on the weekly show coming out of this weekend, too.

It would've been more shocking to give the heel the nod in a big inaugural tournament like this, especially after he stacked the decks against Bate after the semi-final. Classic underdog booking executed very well. 

Edit:

Man, it's ridiculous that Dunne debuted when he was 11! He's been working for most of his life and he's only 23! His presence, psychology, and awareness for that age are really impressive. 

8 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Maybe they will do that with the womens tournament. Make Zeuxis a wwe star in one night. 

I fucking hope so. And it'll be fascinating to see how the Stardom trio situation plays out. Personally, I'd like to see them stay for at least another year.

2 hours ago, Rev Ray said:

Dunne vs. Bate was a great final.  It feels like Dunne is a made man even without the win and Bate looks really good throughout.

This is great wrestling booking 101, the face overcomes the odds to win and the heel still gains prestige in the loss for having a great match.

• Like 1

He botched a couple of calls but yeah, he's noticeably better without Vince in his ear. I also noticed he kept saying fans instead of universe while Nigel kept to universe and even corrected himself on the dreaded wrestler terminology.

Even when Cole messed up on Dunne's finishers. I thought he did a decent job covering for it.

You can also tell that he truly did spend time talking to guys and watching some matches so he could get a better sense of what they did.

I thought Cole and Nigel were great in the Finals as they totally got swept up in the match like Mauro and Bryan did during the CWC

• Like 1

Night 2 was fantastic. Gradwell & Seven upped my opinions of them after a weak first night. Wolfgang looked good playing monster on Bate. Andrews high flying looked even better with Dunne & Conners making him work for it. Andrews/Dunne was great and had me thinking for just one moment Andrews might win. Dunne/Bate was awesome. I loved the the injury angle, and all the great comebacks from Bate which just made him look even greater. I thought Dunne was winning this for certain so I was pretty damn ecstatic when Bate hit the TD97. If they actually do go through with a show they will definitely have my viewership.