DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK

RIPPA

A pretty OK first night.  Of the guys I haven't seen before (most of them except for Burch, Andrews, Dunne), I thought that Tyler Bate really came off well.  Main event was the right match to finish with.  I enjoyed the Wolfgang/T-Bone mach.  Second round should be fun but I think Burch advancing would have been better.

11 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

Not a bad show but nothing blew me away either.  Did they call an audible at the end of Burch's match?

I am 99% sure everything went off as planned.

I think Burch was a little woozy from the massive cut and instinctively kicked out (that's why it was late)

Ironically - the blood and goofy finish actually helped get Delvin over as a douche more than they planned

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nofuture said:

Everything was solid but nothing too spectacular.  Will say that Cole and Nigel worked well together and it's the best Cole's sounded in a long time.  

Since the Beast in the East show

It proves that Cole is a good announcer who really just wishes he wasn't screamed at every night

• Like 6

Oh man Devlin is really unlikable but yeah he was unimpressive in the ring, I'm not sure if the chants got to him but his timing was off and the fact he hit Burch with a gusher for the finish proved it, Finn come and get ya mans. Danny Burch is the best utility man WWE has that isn't signed to them.

Tyler Bate is going to receive all the plaudits and rightfully so, he's going to be a superstar and he's like 19. 

I saw this as a precursor really, like the first round of the CWC it was nothing too spectacular but served it's purpose, roll on tomorrow. 

Fun first night. I'm expecting everything to be ramped up big time tomorrow night. And some brilliant heeling by Dunne in that closing segment...his match with Gradwell tomorrow will hopefully have some added heat supporting the hometown lad.

Danny Burch has been around for what feels like forever now, he has the look of a total east end badass, shame he lost but he came off pretty well.

Devlin plays the smug little prick really well.

"heyyyy Jesus, I wanna know if you'll be my lord" got a legit chuckle from me, well played UK crowd.

Never heard of Sam Gradwell before, but he looked really good. 

Really enjoyed T-Bone as a character, his match with Wolfgang was pretty decent, Wolfgang needs better ring gear but his work cannot be faulted.

I need a Jack Gallagher / Tyler Bate team / feud on my TV every week. 

The Connors match was my MOTN.

I like how every guy in this tournament looks like they are straight from a Game of Thrones house.

Really enjoyed it.

• Like 4

I think Devlin winning actually makes sense. Yes, he was bang average and the ending seemed botched, but he's now the biggest heel in the tournament and is facing maybe the most over face in the next round. That feels appropriate to be fair. Part of me wonders if they'll go for a home nation representive in each semi final (Mandrews for Wales, Dunne for England, Wolfgang for the Scots and Devlin for Ireland), but then losing Tyler in the next round would be a pity.

On a personal level, seeing guys I first saw in tiny working men's clubs in Coventry (Andrews, Bate, Dunne) or Nottingham (Conners, Dyer) appearing as stars on WWE programming was really great to see.

• Like 6

Apparently the sucker punch on Gradwell wasn't the only thing he did:

Also...

As I said on twitter, with them showing all the promoters in attendance tonight, this really has a feel like a Red Wedding scenario or HHH is Anakin being sent to kill all the padawans in the temple so he can take his place next to Darth Vincedious. 

Pete Dunne needs to win this and have a giant hatred for Regal and that be the foundation for the TV show. I'd actually love Burch as Regals guy specifically to chase him. 

But, it was nice to see confirmation that even if he doesn't win, Pete Dunne is a guy they are clearly very very high on. Cause he should be.

• Like 4

HHH also said in the post-show conference that they are going to "review Dunne's actions" before tomorrow's show

BLACKPOOL, England – The WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament closed in chaotic fashion, as Pete Dunne sucker punched his Day 2 opponent, Sam Gradwell, causing a ruckus on the stage in front of all of Day 1’s winners.

In a post-show press conference with Triple H and William Regal, Triple H announced that they'll discuss the situation and talk with Gradwell before making any kind of decision about Dunne's actions. Triple H commented that the idea of changing the tournament at this point is not ideal, but they would see what happens after their review.

“I beat people, I hurt people, I own the ring,” Dunne said earlier during the WWE United Kingdom Championship Tournament. How will Dunne’s actions affect his standing in the Quarterfinals of the competition?

Check back on WWE.com as this story develops.

Went in to this with no real interest but ended up enjoying it a lot. Love the atmosphere, most everyone was impressive in the time given and I feel more invested in this than the cruiserweight tournament. the Devlin/Burch ending provided a great little angle there and got Devlin over as a hated heel right off the bat. Thought Tyson T-Bone looked good against Wolfgang. Good to see Mark Andrews have a good showing. Conners looked like a dominant favorite to win. Thought I would hate Bate but him and Tucker was a good match with a great finishing stretch. Agreed in thinking Cole/Nigel were excellent together on commentary, very enjoyable. Closing seg was good stuff and now I'm looking forward to this continuing. Guessing a Trent Seven/Joseph Conners final, but should be interesting.

Just finished the show. i dug the arena though I feel like the lighting should be a bit brighter. I'm not familiar with anyone in this since I don't follow the UK scene. Nothing was bad per say though I wasn't too impressed with any of the matches save for the last two. Burch looked better than I ever recall him looking in NXT though I think Devlin being such proud a pos with his tainted victory saved Burch screwing up the finish. I like Devlin's character though I don't find him interesting in the ring. Dunne seemed decent enough. I'm digging the angle with him, especially with Regal looking like he was ready to beat the shit out of him. Andrews/Moloney was fun and a great showcase for Andrews. Bate/Tucker was easily MOTN and has me wanting Bate to take the whole thing or at least make the final. I dug the show overall. I like the presentation. and the final two matches along with some of the personalities give me hope for an even bigger and better showing tomorrow.

Personality wise, Pete Dunne is everything I hoped Kevin Owens as Universal Champion would have been.

Wolfgang was fun, great to see Mandrews, Joseph Connors is creepy in an entertaining way, and Tyler Bate has great potential.  I can see the all countries represented scenario happening, and that would mean losing Bate.  That would stink.

Venue was gorgeous.  The crowd chants--I guess they were fun?  I'll admit to not having watched a lot of British-based wrestling, though.  I imagine it takes some getting used to.

Solid show with a couple of good stories set up for tomorrow.

I thought Bate came off as one of the biggest deals in the tourney. I'd have him and Maloney in NXT by this summer. I had no concept of British wrestling before this, and I really enjoyed the tourney....

At least Sam Gradwell seem good on the mic. Great way to take advantage of a flub by Delvin on the mic (and whoever called that on the fly in back).

Tyson T-Bone should team up with the Drifter, be his UK relative, teach him the old ways of the gypsies.

Dan Moloney deserves some props for putting Mark Andrews (Conor McGregor nice guy cousin) over so well. Great chemistry between the two.

MOTN was clearly Tyler Bate/Tucker.  MVP of the night was Tucker; that balance of selling for your opponent and being a credible threat is so damn hard but he made Bate look like a credible million bucks.