DVDVR Message Board

WWE UK

RIPPA

1 hour ago, Pete said:

People seriously think this tournament is "killing British wrestling?" More proof you should pass an IQ test to go online...

I think he was more referring to the style of wrestling he and others have employed. Personally I like his flying around, if only so that Dunne can knock him out of the air.

I'd be quite surprised if KO knew who Trent Seven was prior to him being at RAW recently (he was seen trying to help Xavier Woods play the bagpipes). I hadn't heard of him until I saw him present the London Chikara show - I thought he came across really well (except when he suggested Officer Warren Barksdale might not actually be a police officer) and I'm not surprised he left a good impression with the WWE. The massive ICW billboard had in Glasgow probably didn't do him and Wolfgang any harm either.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sin Carne said:

I'd be quite surprised if KO knew who Trent Seven was prior to him being at RAW recently

They wrestled each other at least once

(2014 in Fight Club Pro)

EDIT - DAMMIT CHESTER!

They were the generation that should have been on top when the TV was lost. But (except Finlay) they really weren't on that much, and were underneath guys. Really theblame for the stagnation that got the TV lost was 4 generations ago. The top guys from the early 70s were still the stars in the mid 80s, and they never updated the production at any point in history, really. But when a promotion is putting out a stale show every week (they were), do you blame the workers or the office?

28 minutes ago, Matt D said:

There's so much awesome 70s British wrestling on YouTube. I've seen a bunch but not nearly all. People should get well vested in that. You can do it right now. 

WWE UK should not invite directions to World Of Sport. 

How much would Will Ospeay cry on Twitter if a WWE guy tried to teach him to sell?

• Like 1

I do wish there was Giant Haystacks still in British wrestling. Maybe when the tournament is over, they can send Braun Stroman over and re-bill him as the new Giant Haystacks. Who wouldn't love to see him murder guys like Will Osprey?

But I've watched that Big Daddy/Giant Haystacks match a couple of times on Youtube (the one from 1981 billed as the one to settle the score from Wembley) and the presentation from the entrance to introduction just makes it seem like it was the biggest and most important match ever. I'm pretty sure Triple H will be able to get presentation down for the UK tournament and what ever future shows come of this because the one thing NXT does right is the presentation of the shows. Making even the smallest match seem important.

• 2 weeks later...

I still find it strange that What Culture has become such a prominent name in wrestling (as in running shows and becoming a go-to news site) - I used to write for them about five years ago when I was out of uni and needed to build up an article portfolio/didn't care what pence-per-word rate I was being paid and wrestling wasn't a part of the website at all. Crazy 

After adding Mark Andrews to the field yesterday, WWE followed up by revealing the full list of competitors for the upcoming United Kingdom Championship tournament.

Another addition was made when WWE released the participants, with Martin Stone joining the 16-person field. Stone was formerly in WWE developmental earlier this decade and is returning after gaining more notoriety on the independent scene. He'll go by his old in-ring name with WWE listing him as Danny Burch.

Missing from those who originally appeared to be possible participants are Tiger Ali, Chris Tyler, Ringo Ryan, and Jack Starz. They are presumably alternates for the tournament.

The two shows will take place on January 14th and 15th at the Empress Ballroom in Blackpool with the first UK Champion being crowned at their conclusion. Nigel McGuinness and Michael Cole will call the action live on the WWE Network.

The full list of competitors for the tournament is:

• Trent Seven
  • Danny Burch
  • H.C. Dyer
  • Pete Dunne
  • Wolfgang
  • Jordan Devlin
  • Sam Gradwell
  • Tyler Bate
  • James Drake
  • Tucker
  • Tyson T-Bone
  • Joseph Conners
  • Dan Moloney
  • Roy Johnson
  • Mark Andrews
  • Saxon Huxley

From WON

I hope they go a bit longer, if they can.

If they do the first round on Night 1 and the rest on Night 2, that's 8 matches on the first night and 7 on the second, possibly more, if they do non-tournament matches to give the guys some rest.

Two hours seems a bit tight for that, especially for Night 2, when you want to give the matches a bit more time as the tournament progresses.