DVDVR Message Board

El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar (2/24/84)

Phil Schneider

A bloody trios brawl and a pretty good example of it, which makes it a very good match in an absolute sense.  The rudos dominant at the beginning and I like Herodes as a big bruiser, going around lubbing huge blows at everyone.  End of the second fall is cool with the rudos all beating the piss out of Salazar and getting DQed for it; post-fall is great with Lizmark and Mendoza trying to pull Salazar out of the ring and away from the rudos.  Technicos comeback in the tercera is great with Mendoza and Atlantis landing some great punches and then Mendoza and Atlantis fending off Mocho and Farao so Salazar can get his revenge on Herodes, including Herodes taking some big pumps off punches towards the end before taking one for the team with the classic lowblow ending.

This was a quick, fun, and heated brawl. Mocho Cota continues to be someone I enjoy though Herodes and Tony Salazar were the main focus in this match. Herodes is just a spectacular bumper for such a barrel chested guy. I'd never seen Tony Salazar wrestle before but I thought he threw some great punch combinations.

Starts in progress with Herodes and the entire rudos completely kicking ass.  Mocho Cota again endears himself to me by tearing apart Lizmark in the corner.  He also gives some huge dropkicks to Mendoza to take the first fall.  Cota presenting his missing fingers to the crowd is another brilliant touch.  I am to the point where I am ready to see every match of his that has made tape.  Salazar is a bloody mess and the Rudos are just wailing away on him.  Mendoza tries to drag him to the outside and Cota responds by banging his head against the apron.  Lizmark tries his hand and again gets beat up.  Brawl continues on the outside and then back inside with round two of Salazar getting creamed.  Finally Lizmark and Mendoza have had enough and the big comeback commences.  Herodes takes a big bump in the corner.  Salazar especially shows a lot of good fire in this segment.  Stereo dives are made to the outside.  Finish makes sense in the fact that Salazar is seeing red and when Herodes goes for a nut shot he responds giving the rudos the win.  Really fun match that didn’t have a ton of flow but made up for it in passion and hate.

***1/2

Herodes is awesome. Not only does he have the thinning afro, Harley Race chops-into-mustache with soul patch, and barrel gut that says "professional wrestler", he absolutely beats the shit out of the tecnicos in this one. Really comes off like a big old ass-kicker and someone you don't want to fuck with. Rudos mug the shit out of of a bleeding Tony Salazar in segunda caida then the tecnicos have a huge comeback after the extended beatdown. This is a whole lot of blood and hostility and the foule at the end is so hateful. Really great trios match.

The rudos must have a jazz combo that they play in on the weekends.  They just have that look.  Herodes strikes me as a drummer.  Cota probably plays some far-out guitar in a style he developed to work around his missing fingers.  

The first two falls are just a mugging.  Especially on Salazar.  I figure Tony must've talked some shit about their combo being too mellow.  Not something he can rock out to in his Jimmy Page pants and Ace Frehley boots.  Jazz too mellow for you?  How bout this ass kicking?  That too mellow for you, cat daddy?

This match was a super-fun brawl.  Really vicious beatdown.  Makes me happy we have a Salazar/Herodes singles match later on this disc!

• Like 2

Herodes is the greatest choice for muscle in lucha. This was a trios blood bath with the rudos looking incredible isolating Salazar and Lizmark and keeping Mendoza at bay on the outside. Herodes was tremendously great in this walking around ringside, taking out the trash, posting Salazar, and doing the dirty work. That mugging of Salazar was great shit. I love how they basically crucified him on his knees and just relentlessly beat him bloody. The retreat and storming of the troops led by Mendoza was awesome and I loved the moment where Salazar comes stumbling into the ring and finds a vulnerable Herodes to beat severely. We then have this awesome Herodes-Salazar war for the third fall where it’s just two guys beating the shit out of each other and trading Hep C. Salazar says fuck it and fouls Herodes for the DQ finish. This was a much better trios brawl than the first one in my opinion. It was much less confusing and the chaos was more spread out.

I’ll say this is close to four stars. It’s a give or take kind of thing. B+ match. Great bloody brawl.  

El Faraon/Herodes/Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark/Ringo Mendoza/Tony Salazar (2/24/84)These guys have been feuding with each other in various matches over the past few weeks now they are brought together here for a heated match. Everyone is just pounding on each other with the rudos being on the better end of the action and taking the 1st fall quickly then keeping their advantage going in the 2nd fall where they bloody up Salazar then attack the cut viciously. This is brutal here as Salazar is a crimson mask and these guys are relentlessly beating the fuck out of him. They eventually get DQed for excessive violence which evens it up for the tecnicos. The rudos now turn their attention to Lizmark while Herodes continues to destroy Salazar while Ringo seems to stay on the floor during most of this. Faraon fouls Lizmark behind the ref's back then Ringo gets sent back to the floor as Salazar comes back in for more punishment. Lizmark & Ringo finally power it up and they start giving the rudos a taste of their own medicine. Salazar even gets back going and starts biting at Herodes' head viciously and he brings out the juice as well while spraying the blood in the air. Ringo & Lizmark hit big planchas to the floor while the bloody Salazar beats the hell out of Herodes before stopping a Herodes foule and kicking him in the balls instead for the DQ. This was fucking awesome.

Cota/Herodes/Faraon is one hell of a rudo trio. This may not have been as good as the brawl with Satanico on the previous disc, but it does such a beautiful job building towards the big singles match. Just the rudos kicking asses and keeping Mendoza and an once again very pissed off Lizmark out while just assaulting Salazar. It build to that big moment where Mendoza and Lizmark finally can get in and box everybody away to make way for the big Herodes/Salazar showdown which is short but just great. Two guys doused in blood trying to punch the life out of eachother made the Chicana/MS-1 match so great and this was like a quick take on that. Time to get excited for their singles match

Lucha 2.5
El Faraón, Herodes y Mocho Cota vs. Lizmark, Ringo Mendoza y Tony Salazar (2/24/84)

Oh awesome awesome awesome. Faraon and Cota teaming up! YES! And with the Mexican Hercules! Actually he looks more like a Mexican Harley Race here.

First fall seemed super quick. This is a great heel beatdown here. Herodes looks great nailing the shots in. Tony Salazar is being totally killed here. Awesome stuff. And that's a DQ? lol, ok. Amazing visual of Salazar dangling over the apron as the heels just dickingly still kick him.

Oh man, I fucking love this heel team. I fucking LOVE them.

Awesome knee lift by Faraon. Great little cocky sneaky dipship deadleg by Cota on Lizmark. And now they go back to bullying poor Salazar. Ha ha ha ha. This is so great.

Babyfaces coming back now and the crowd is pumped. TREMENDOUS bump into the turnbuckle by Herodes. Chaos breaking out now. Bodies and blood everywhere now. Oh my good, what an awesome blatant kick to the balls by Salazar for the payback, justice is done.

Ah fuck it, I had so much fun watching this. I'm probably way overrating it, but I don't care, this was great.

A

What an awesome run of matches here.

Cota is a new JvK hero. Faraon is just great as well.

• 3 weeks later...

This is definitely one of the best heel teams of all time. Herodes is a way better sleazy 1920s strongman than Big Bully Busick. My favorite bit of selling was Cota against the ropes when the babyfaces come out in the third fall. I love the finish as a way to build to the singles match. I think I'm getting better at watching these. This wasn't as much of a back and forth war as the heel vs heel gang war on disc 1 but I think it had a clearer narrative. I could probably write this thing up if I had the time and make sense out of it. 

If I had to go back in time and needed muscle to start a protection racket, I know the three guys I would recruit. They'd betray me eventually but it'd be a hell of a ride for a while.

• 2 weeks later...

This was a fantastic bloody brawl, with poor Tony Salazar just taking one heck of a beating. Who can blame him for kicking Herodes in the dick, even though it did cost his team the match? Great finish. Herodes was the stand-out in the match, just taking such glee in kicking people when they're down. Our man, Cota delivers with some wicked dropkicks. Enjoyed this one a lot, and looking forward to the Salazar/Herodes singles.

• 2 months later...

The Salazar/Herodes brawling to setup their singles match was real good. Everyone else was just kind of there doing average to okay brawling... which is fine since they weren't supposed to overshadow the two main guys. I kinda wish Salazar/Herodes would have taken a powder at some point to allow the other guys to do some stuff though as it would have improved the match quality but for a trios brawl to setup a big singles match this was okay. Nothing I'd call great or anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was pretty great.  The relentless rudo beatdown through the first two falls was quite impressive.  The visual of the excessive roughness DQ for the second fall was great.  I liked bloody Salazar finally getting his revenge on Herodes but going too far.  Herodes is really effective.  It really did boil down to Salazar and Herodes as Mendoza and Lizmark didn't make a huge impact, although the dives by all three technicos was cool.  This probably will be in my top quarter of matches, unless things get much more awesome on this set.

• 7 months later...

Cool to see some other people, including a Tony Salazar who might as well be a different person than the guy employed by CMLL today, but the long beatdown wasn't memorable enough to make this work for me. Salazar and Herodes probably had a heck of a match based off what we saw here (and announcer Pedro did note it was a great match.) The last couple minutes that focused on their brawl was by far the best part of the match and crowd chanting for Tony was neat. He's one where I know he was a star, but have no real grasp about how big of one – he seemed like a pretty big one on this show. Didn't like Ringo's big comeback punches, they all seemed like they looked very pulled.