DVDVR Message Board

SDL Sucks Now

RIPPA

• RIPPA pinned this topic

I still don't understand the "Ziggler isn't good" narrative. Has he gotten stale? Probably. But that isn't his fault. Seth Rollins is stale too, and he seems to get a free pass. I think he and Styles will have a good program. Miz needs Sami Zayn to fued with...

I don't mind it. It's just going to be a throwaway deal, one week of build, then the match the week after.

It'd be neat to see Harper there but it's hard to get fired up about it not happening here.

9 minutes ago, just drew said:

I still don't understand the "Ziggler isn't good" narrative. Has he gotten stale? Probably. But that isn't his fault. Seth Rollins is stale too, and he seems to get a free pass. I think he and Styles will have a good program. Miz needs Sami Zayn to fued with...

I'll get you a membership card to the DVDVR Seth Rollins Bugs Us Club.  We meet on the third Friday of every month.  We have soup!

Zig isn't bad, really.  But he's been working this gimmick for too long and needs to freshen up.  And if he can't win the IC title recently or the World title at SummerSlam, there's no reason to think he can win now.  Turn him heel, make him broken--just do something different with him.

• Like 2

Pretty mediocre episode with some really uninspired booking choices. 

The Hype Bros are fine as a mid card comedy act, but don't need to be winning a match like this to get a title shot.  I used to think they had a long game in mind for putting the belts on AA but now it looks like they're just being an afterthought.  They were routinely looking better than everyone else they've wrestled and have been having fantastic performances so it should be a no-brainer to put them in title contention.  AA definitely shouldn't be getting eliminated before the fucking Ascension.

When Harper came out during the beginning of the show I got excited that he might get to do something besides job to Kane now that the Wyatts have the tag titles, but unfortunately that wasn't the case.  They could have portrayed him as a serious threat to Styles given his size and intensity.  Still, better Ziggler than the Miz or yet another retread of his feud with Ambrose.

I think American Alpha will probably get the Mania push so they're holding off on it probably for another month.

I too would have loved to see AJ Styles vs. Luke Harper and why couldn't they have done that? This isn't really a fresh match up anyway. I was at Smackdown where AJ fought Dolph prior to the first match with Ambrose.

One weird thing I noticed... when Ziggler hit the face buster off the top, he landed on his knees, then started flopping around selling his back.

I figure with Ziggler, it's a 50/50 proposition whether he compressed his spine or if he was just selling like an idiot.

• Like 1

The battle royal was fun. I'm fine with Hype Bros winning. They have been a solid team for a while so I'm happy if they get a short push. Not really sure what the long term plans are for the tag division on the whole. Its obvious the original plan was AA vs. Usos, but that got pushed aside completely with Slater & Rhyno catching fire. It seems further away still with the Wyatts now holding the belts.

Nattie/Carmella & Becky/Alexa were both nice while they lasted. I do wish they focused a tad less on Nikki's attack on the commentary. I do love still pretending to be hurt even on Talking Smack.

The main event was good and Harper was just awesome in it. I'm fine with Ziggler as the next challenger. He is stale, but still makes for a more interesting match than another Dean/AJ match. Harper would felt random. Miz would have been interesting, but only if AJ was turning face. Watching this did make me wonder where the hell Taker is. He said he was coming back so I'm assuming the plan is for him vs. AJ. I'm curious why they are taking their time on that one.

Where was Baron Corbin?

33 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

What sense would AJ vs Harper make?  They set someone up that AJ can beat on a Smackdown that barely anyone will see.

AJ was putting over how scared he is of Luke on commentary.  Could even have it be a triple threat with AJ, Luke and Ellsworth.  Make 95% of the match Luke vs. AJ with Luke getting the better of him. But have AJ pin Ellsworth. I'm not into fantasy booking so even if that sounds like it sucks there's a million different options that would be a little different than what we've seen.

• Like 1

If they want to go with Orton turning on the Wyatt's longterm then Harper winning made more sense.

Orton could spend next week trying to convince Harper to give up his title shot to Bray and this causes tension in the group.

AJ v Ziggler will be fine but its a little dull from a story POV.

Thought it was another very enjoyable SDL that flew by quick, but Ziggler is still one of my favorites too. Felt similar to when he won the 6 pack challenge for the SummerSlam title shot, lots of great sequences throughout the four way. I like the protection of Ziggler's superkick, as usually he doesn't hit it in the matches he loses but wins when he does. Surprised Miz went out so quick. The opening seg that set it all up was exciting stuff as well with everyone getting involved. Really liked Carmella/Natalya, and Alexa/Becky was a great furthering of their feud with Bliss continuing to kill it all around with excellent work. Tag battle royal seemed a bit predictable but it was pretty fun, nice win for Ryder so it sucks he got hurt. Styles/Ziggler should be a great TV main event regardless.

5 hours ago, Peck said:

Looks like Ryder may have blown his knee out at the end of that match. 

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/2016-12-13/article/ryder-suffers-knee-injury

I was wondering if something happened because after the match he wouldn't get off the ring apron and Mojo kept looking at him concerned.

And on that tip - why weren't the Usos in the Battle Royal? Is one of them hurt again? They clearly were in town because they were out and about in during the day meeting the troops