DVDVR Message Board

Raw Is Kevin Dunn Missing The Finish - 12/12/16

Dolfan in NYC

Gallagher could be something special. And I mean among the whole roster. Quarantining the cruisers just isn't a thing I agree with. Gallagher could be big league.

New Day's long in the tooth, but I continue to feel happy about all of their success. Woods looked fantastic in there and has stepped up any time he's had a chance during this lengthy run. Now bring on the Top Guys.

Sasha vs Charlotte should close on Sunday. There's nothing wrong with Reigns vs Owens, but it's flat.

I liked the Sami stuff. Was Mick patronizing? Sure. But he's been that way for years. At least I got the sense that Sami got some shine out of it. 

Pretty sure I skipped everything else. 

Man, of all the things I expected from an audience on Raw, breaking into a spontaneous "Scoundrel!" chant was not one of them!

Did Bayley not just beat Alicia Fox last week? Completely convincingly.   I mean, I get that they want to keep Bayley on Raw to face the winner of Charlotte-Sasha after that program is done (If it is ever done...) but putting her in a feud with Alicia Fox where it's clear they have Bayley on one level and Fox so far below on another level that they can't even give her a cheap count-out/roll-up win to have an excuse for them to wrestle again is completely pointless.  Why not even run Fox/Cedric-Bayley/Nese?!

The Sami segment would've been better if he hit Mick first, but it was still one of the better promo segments WWE's done in a while. Sami's one of the most authentic promos on the roster.

Also trading for Eva would've been pointless when Emma has the exact same gimmick.

The Gallagher promo was the first time in a long time that entrance music for a run-in made sense. Jackie boy looks like he's gonna wade through the quagmire that is the current presentation of the cruiserweights and somehow get himself over.

The first ND match was good because Cesaro was a beast, and it was probably the best Gallows and Anderson have looked in WWE. The second match had a good finishing run, but the first 2/3 were pretty pedestrian.

Roman isn't even getting Cena heat any more, he's just a black hole right now. It's too bad because he has good in-ring chemistry with KO, but jesus, he needs to be kept far far away from anything that matters.

The crowd was way more into Sami getting getting traded than they clearer thought he was going to be. That amused me greatly.

Bayley is feuding over teddy bears and is background to a comedy party. I think Matt or Smelly needs to start writing some reviews 

1 hour ago, Eivion said:

The Sami promo was great and all, but yeah, that probably should have ended with him leaving to SDL.

Anyone else want him to beat Bluto at Roadblock and then demand a trade anyway? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, caley said:

Man, of all the things I expected from an audience on Raw, breaking into a spontaneous "Scoundrel!" chant was not one of them!

Did Bayley not just beat Alicia Fox last week? Completely convincingly.   I mean, I get that they want to keep Bayley on Raw to face the winner of Charlotte-Sasha after that program is done (If it is ever done...) but putting her in a feud with Alicia Fox where it's clear they have Bayley on one level and Fox so far below on another level that they can't even give her a cheap count-out/roll-up win to have an excuse for them to wrestle again is completely pointless.  Why not even run Fox/Cedric-Bayley/Nese?!

Why would Bayley (face) team with Nese (heel)? Same question about Cedric and Foxy. And I hope you didn't make these pairings for the obvious, dumbass reason...

6 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Why would Bayley (face) team with Nese (heel)? Same question about Cedric and Foxy. And I hope you didn't make these pairings for the obvious, dumbass reason...

I don't know about Bayley and Nese, but they're pushing Alicia and Cedric as a couple. They talked about it before, during, and after Cedric's match on 205 with Noam Dar last week.

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

Right while he was in the middle of the "I needed to know if you had the fire, the hate you need against Braun", I fully expected Sami to punch or slap the shit out of him. Replying, "Even when you say you believe in me, you don't.  I'm beating Braun Strowman and then you're trading me."  

But as Phil said, it's clear the reaction they were expecting was "NOOOO!  Don't trade him!", not the one they got.

Cheering that you might not get to see Sami Zayn on RAW anymore is like when you favorite player on a god awful team gets traded to a winner.   Sure you will miss seeing him (yes I understand most RAW fans watch Smackdown too) but at least you know he has a freaking chance 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

So is the match against Strowman a regular match with a 10 minute time limit or an iron man match for 10 minutes?  I mean saying that Sami Zayn going 10 minutes with Strowman but not actually beating him helps him how?

I think they're going for the old school match of a guy just trying to last the full 10 minutes in a match against somebody who is clearly out of their league. The idea being that just SURVIVING 10 minutes against the monster and going to a time limit draw shows how much heart they have and will get them over on their own, even without getting an actual win. Unfortunately, this isn't 1987 anymore and that type of booking doesn't really work these days. The only way this angle works is if Sami gets the actual pinfall over Braun.

EDIT: Here is the last time I recall them doing this sort of angle/match

They need to get rid of the cruisers on the main show. Gallagher is the only guy who might work. That division is pointless. Rollins and Sami and a few other guys can do all those moves and can do them better. And they also can cut promos.

They work fine in a vacuum. Keep them on the network or NXT. But the crowd was dead for the Kendrick match. They taped a match for 205Live before that got a ton of time and a better reaction.

It's a very old school angle they're doing with Sami and Strowman.  The problem is, Sami's already been a star - former NXT champion, nearly beat John Cena in his main roster debut and he's had victories over Owens on PPV.  Strowman hasn't done half of what Sami has and hasn't been around long enough to properly have this unstoppable aura they're hoping he'll get. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Pete said:

My wrestling brain says that Zayn is going to end up like Boba Fett and be slowly digested in Braun's belly over the course of several millennia.

My gut hopes that Zayn gets a huge win.  Despite all of his accomplishments, it feels like Sami needs the W more than Braun does.

2 hours ago, MonteCarl said:

I think they're going for the old school match of a guy just trying to last the full 10 minutes in a match against somebody who is clearly out of their league. The idea being that just SURVIVING 10 minutes against the monster and going to a time limit draw shows how much heart they have and will get them over on their own, even without getting an actual win. Unfortunately, this isn't 1987 anymore and that type of booking doesn't really work these days. The only way this angle works is if Sami gets the actual pinfall over Braun.

EDIT: Here is the last time I recall them doing this sort of angle/match

ROH has a similar gimmick called a "Proving Ground Match," where a non-#1-contender gets a 20-minute time limit non-title match with the champion.  If the contender wins or goes the distance, he gets a title match.