DVDVR Message Board

UFC on Fox 22: VanZant vs. Waterson (12/17/2016) - Sacramento, CA (Golden 1 Center)

Elsalvajeloco

1 minute ago, TheVileOne said:

Covington vs. Dong Hyun Kim is a great match-up and challenge for Covington.  Book it. 

It's not a bad fight. However, if I had to pit DHK against a wrestler prospect, it would be Kamaru Usman. Usman is at the stage of his career where Covington was prior to the Warlley Alves fight. All he has been asked to do is wrestle people to sleep. Leon Edwards offered some resistance, but it wasn't enough to make Usman do anything else. Kim would at least forced him to do something a little different early on because I doubt the takedowns comes that easy. Tonight, Covington was way more comfortable striking than your average wrestler. You can probably match Covington a little tougher help him improve. If they wanted to just get him a name on the resume, then Covington vs. DHK would accomplish that though.

7 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I don't like De Silva's demeanor.  It really looked like he just gave that armbar at the end.  He got his arm free, but then just left it there to get snatched again.  He offered no resistance at all.

Dude, he was done. I doubt Craig would've pulled guard if Da Silva had any energy left.

so far, i liked the Wineland/Mizugaki fight and thought the Smith/Aldana fight was fantastic.

Emmett/Holtzman was pretty decent, but the next two fights put me to sleep. in the final prelim, da Silva was either hopelessly outmatched or just didn't put an any effort

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

Dude, he was done. I doubt Craig would've pulled guard if Da Silva had any energy left.

I agree, but that is my issue.  I started grappling in college, because I needed a PE elective.  I looked through the catalog and found that they offered jiu-jitsu.  In the second or third class some chubby kid tapped from exhaustion, and the "professor" stopped the class and told us that tapping from exhaustion wouldn't be tolerated.  No one tapped from exhaustion for the rest of the semester.  If a bunch of goofy, out of shape, college kids can fight through exhaustion, a UFC caliber fighter should be able to fight through exhaustion.  He is a talented kid, but his career is going to be pretty short if he can't do better than that.

Mike, "Hey dad, can you drop me off at the UFC gym on my way home from jail,? Perry is going to be either be a huge star or a fucking pariah. 

8 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I agree, but that is my issue.  I started grappling in college, because I needed a PE elective.  I looked through the catalog and found that they offered jiu-jitsu.  In the second or third class some chubby kid tapped from exhaustion, and the "professor" stopped the class and told us that tapping from exhaustion wouldn't be tolerated.  No one tapped from exhaustion for the rest of the semester.  If a bunch of goofy, out of shape, college kids can fight through exhaustion, a UFC caliber fighter should be able to fight through exhaustion.  He is a talented kid, but his career is going to be pretty short if he can't do better than that.

All three of his UFC fights have been wars of attrition. I thought he over-performed against Wilson in his debut, but Wilson is looking more like a frontrunner. In this fight, he came hurdling back to reality. He's a solid fighter, especially for 205 where the middle tier is thin as hell. However, the Craig fight just exemplifies why his ceiling is fairly limited even in a sparse division.

Mike, "Hey dad, can you drop me off at the UFC gym on my way home from jail,? Perry is going to be either be a huge star or a fucking pariah. 

It might be both hanging out with Alex Nicholson, another not-so-swell dude.

3 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I'd go 10-9 Jouban, but he clearly has no desire to taste Perry's power again. 

I could see it either way, Jouban landed more, but I thought Perry did more damage.

RD 2 sinovabeach! Jouban 10-9. This fight is everything we expected and more, this is FUN!!!

Well, the magic ran out for Mike Perry this year. However, it's crazy he went 2-1 in less than 4 months w/ those 2 wins over good fighters. Not everyone is good enough like Jouban to pull this strategy off. There is a bunch of lower ranked WWs Perry can smash with very little trouble.

Match Jouban against any lower top ten to top 20 welterweight and keep him busy. 

1 minute ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Well, the magic ran out for Mike Perry this year. However, it's crazy he went 2-1 in less than 4 months w/ those 2 wins over good fighters. Not everyone is good enough like Jouban to pull this strategy off. There is a bunch of lower ranked WWs Perry can smash with very little trouble.

Match Jouban against any lower top ten to top 20 welterweight and keep him busy. 

Perry vs. Jake Ellenberger would be fucking sweet.

2 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

If Gall wins he might call out Jouban.

"If"? I think Gall is going to rip Kendoll limb from limb. Sage has fought tougher guys than Gall has, but I still think Gall has more upside.

2 minutes ago, Casey said:

Do they keep muting the banter between Cruz and Garbrandt or is my TV just fucking up?

I don't think we're missing much, they sound like a couple of high-school jocks measuring their dicks.

Okay, Cruz with the Pee-wee Herman reference FTW!

1 minute ago, OSJ said:

Sage has fought tougher guys than Gall has, but I still think Gall has more upside.

I 100% agree with this, but I don't have a single solitary clue what is going to happen in that fight.  I'd pick Gall, because I think he's potentially a great grappler, and Northcutt is good at a lot, but not great at anything.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

I 100% agree with this, but I don't have a single solitary clue what is going to happen in that fight.  I'd pick Gall, because I think he's potentially a great grappler, and Northcutt is good at a lot, but not great at anything.

I think the grappling will be the story here. If Gall gets into a straight punch-out he's a fool, and nothing I've seen from him so far leads me to think that he's a fool.