DVDVR Message Board

Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84)

Phil Schneider

Opening stuff is fun with Lizmark busting out some huge athletic moves and counters and the end of the first fall is cool.  Through the second fall the match gets more contentious and there are some flashes of really good brawling.  Third fall is cool with Egipico and Atlantis both getting taken out and Faraon and Lizmark left to duke it out.  Ending was okay but the post match is real cool with Faraon stripping Lizmark of his mask, throwing it to the crowd and the fans gathering around maskless Lizmark outside.  This was definitely a weaker match compared to the seveveral before it but that's hardly much of an indictment on this match, it's still good, though I feel it might finish low for me.

This is fun but ultimately too short to really be anything special. It's cool to see Lizmark because he is a really impressive high flyer but I know there is more of him to come on this set. The stuff he did here was pretty impressive, especially his springboard arm drag which may look better than anytime I've seen anybody else do that move. The rudos had some decent strikes but didn't bring a lot of personality.

This starts with a heated brawl between Satanico and gang.  Lizmark and Atlantis come out and get their ass kicked immediately.  Lizmark comes firing back and is great using all sorts of flashy moves including the springboard armdrag.  Atlantis looks good in his segment and has continued to impress me throughout this set.  First fall ends with a butterfly suplex, powerbomb combo.  Really rudo vs. tecnico structure with almost every offensive move from Eqipcio and Faraon is of the kick/punch variety.  Rudos take the second fall just clubbing away and ending it with a senton.  Third fall starts with more of the same.  Egipcio kicks with Lizmark in a submission are not very inspiring.  Lizmark makes the big comeback and Egipcio is looking for a foul to be called to no avail.  Huge diving headbutt allows both Atlantis and Egipcio to be pinned.  It now comes down to Lizmark and Faraon.  Lizmark has the win in his grasp until Faraon says enough of that shit and rips off the mask ending the match.  The crowd is pissed at this development and someone in the crowd has to be restrained.  This was a fun tag but too inconsequential to place high on a set like this.

***1/4  

I thought this was excellent.  Agree with Soup's assessment on this being very much a traditional technico vs. rudo match, with Atlantis and Lizmark breaking out awesome flying and Egipcio and Faraon bring good punches, really solid kicks, and some nice knees.  This type of match is very accessible to non-lucha fans as it plays more to the standard US tags of having saves and double teams that revolve around cheating.  Santo/Atlantis vs. Rubio/Fuerza was a similar match in terms of the technicos bringing awesome offense but the rudos didn't hold up their end on offense (bumping and selling were on par with each other).

Lizmark comes off as far more polished here, with Atlantis still doing his dumb pose from the Satanico match. Despite being green as goose shit he sells really well and has some good fiery comebacks. Watch the ref dive out of the ring to separate the opponents near the start, you don't see that very often. I dug the pin from both teams at the same time. Overall though this is pretty middle of the road. We get our first de-masking of the set, which is notable.

This was a fun match. The pre-match shit was great and I liked how that transitioned into the rudos taking insane bumps for a few minutes. Egipcio did the Fuerza bump and he actually went off screen due to the camera angle so that was awesome. All four guys have good offense and great punches so this was worth it. Egipcio calling for fouls on Lizmark was great too. Lizmark had some great heated exchanges with Faraon including one point where they were just mauling each other with punches. This led to the finish where Lizmark gets the better of Faraon who loses his temper and just knees the fuck out of Lizmark’s nuts for the DQ finish. Just to add this, Faraon’s knees fucking ruled. I loved the post-match too with Faraon ripping Lizmark’s mask off and throwing it in the crowd. Good, fun stuff.

I’ll give this three stars or so. It’s about a B – or C+ at worst. This was fun and the rudos were great.    

Atlantis & Lizmark vs. El Egipcio & El Faraon (2/17/84)Egipcio & Faraon come out and attack the Infernales which is interesting and this is a fun little brawl as Faraon posts Satanico. Atlantis & Lizmark show up and they get their asses kicked trying to enter the ring. This is all action from the start with Lizmark flying around like crazy and Atlantis showing that he can hang with the vetecerans. Tecnicos took the 1st fall so the rudos came back for revenge and battered the tecnicos to even it up. Lizmark takes a beating here and they go for his mask but the tecs made a comeback focusing on Egipcio's left leg. The stretch run was fun as Atlantis & Egipcio took each other out and their partners pinned the other leaving Lizmark & Faraon in the ring to battle it out with some fun nearfalls before Faraon out of desperation knees Lizmark right in the balls for the DQ. Faraon then rips off Lizmark's mask before throwing him to the floor and his mask to the fans. This had a good bit of hatred and some really solid action.

This starts out suitably with the rudos just kicking Satanico and his gang all over the place. Then Atlantis and Lizmark come in and the rudos are all "alright, who are you guys again? right we got a match" and they kick the crap out of the technicos too. Pretty badass stoic pair of guys. They're really not interested in doing anything but kicking ass. This had some fun sequences and an interesting finish with the double pin aswell as super pissed-off Lizmark, but overall it feels like one of hundreds of fun little matches that I assume where happening in Mexico around the time. The knee to the balls finish was looking pretty grizzly,  tho.

Lucha 2.4
Atlantis y Lizmark vs. El Egipcio y El Faraón (2/17/84)

Very sweet opening exchanges between Lizmark and Faraon to start. Lizmark just looks incredible.

Faraon is one stiff, bruising heel. Love how he's sticking those forearms in. Awesome butterfly suplex. Hot first fall. This disc is shaping up to be pretty great so far.

These heels are so fucking cool. Great slugfest between Faroan and Lizmark. Faraon is a total asskicker. Those kneelifts. YES!

El Egipico, on the other hand, kicks like Lou Albano!! What the hell?! Pathetic feather-lite kicks.

Lizmark unloads with the kicks now. El Egipico is like a chicken-shit sleazy wimp heel, Faraon is the bruiser. I get the impression that Egipico is not half the worker that Foraon is.

This elmination business with the double pin is interesting. So now it's a one on one match? Knee to the balls for the instant DQ.

This was a lot of fun, loved those heels, especially Faraon. Thought Lizmark looked absolutely awesome too. Atlantis as good as he's been so far too.

B+

• 2 weeks later...

I thought the first fall was a pretty fun example of flyers vs brawlers. Second fall was a fun mauling. Third fall had a heated comeback into the pins. The captain stuff was a little abrupt for me. Lizmark did some really awesome flashy stuff. Faraón was top notch. I can't wait to see more of him. I liked Egipcio's shtick. 

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this was fine, but it suffered for seeming like an inferior version of the Atlantis/Santito tag, which had better rudos and more flashy tecnico offence. The only thing that really stood out about this for me was the double pin in the deciding fall, which was a nice way to set-up the finish. Not a bad match by any means, but not something that will fare particularly well on my ballot.

• 2 months later...

Little on the short side but really good match. It had a little bit of everything from the flying early on to some excellent brawling by the rudos and a heated third fall. I really love the double KO spot when it's done right. Egipcio getting frustrated with Lizmark's nearfalls and resorting to fouling him and then tossing his mask into the crowd was much better than the previous Salazar/Herodes trios match I watched where it just seemed like an obvious out to setup a singles match. All four guys brought it here.

Lots of fun flying around and bumping in the first fall, including a great Hamrick bump to the floor. Really fun stuff in the third with Egipcio acting like he is being fouled and the de-masking of Lizmark for the finish. I see that some people are saying it is too short to be really great, and I agree, but it is still a very fun match I'd definitely watch again.

• 2 weeks later...

This match was a bit confusing, what with the opening brawl with the people not in the match, and the two partners disappearing in the third fall, and me not being able to tell Lizmark from Atlantis.  The sound was very quiet on this match, for my disc at least.  I did like the rudo claiming to be fouled and the post-match unmasking, which got a good reaction from the crowd.  This probably will end up in my bottom quarter.

• 7 months later...

It was really hard for me to get into the match with nearly no sound, but the brawl prior to the match with the Infernales and the brawling during the match was very good. Lizmark can throw a punch. Egipicio was a strong rudo. Finishes in the third fall were weak.