DVDVR Message Board

Phil Schneider

First match that came to mind, John Cena vs. CM Punk at the Money in the Bank 2011 PPV:

On 06 July 2016 at 1:45 PM, The Natural said:

This month means Money in the Bank 2011 in Chicago turns five years old. With the quality of the show, it needs talking about again. I watched the top four matches for the first time in years yesterday…

WWE Championship. John Cena (c) vs. CM Punk, Money in the Bank 2011.

CM Punk vs. John Cena was excellent from beginning to end. The opening feeling out process and the respective targeting on body parts with Punk on Cena’s neck and Cena on Punk’s torso. The counters of each other’s main moves such as Punk escaping the Attitude Adjustment pushing Cena into the ropes to the running knee Punk usually does in the corner. The second one was right on the jaw. Punk followed up with the bulldog and the springboard clothesline. My favourite exchange in the match is when CM Punk went for the Go to Sleep, Cena catches the leg midair putting Punk in the STF and Punk after staying in the hold for some time turned into an Anaconda Vice. The near falls from the previously mentioned combo CM Punk uses and Punk kicking out of two Attitude Adjustments when this was a rare event.

The perfect finish as Cena had Punk in the STF in the middle of the ring. Vince McMahon told the timekeeper to ring the bell which he didn’t so he sent John Laurinaitis out to do it but was stopped by Cena who nailed him with a punch. Cena went back into the ring and walked into the match ending Go to Sleep. All this played before a hot crowd. One of the longest non gimmick matches in WWF/WWE history. One of the greatest wrestling matches of all time. Watching this back reminds me WWE fucked up the storyline of CM Punk leaving WWE with the WWE Championship.

I also nominate this match:

On 06 July 2016 at 1:45 PM, The Natural said:

This month means Money in the Bank 2011 in Chicago turns five years old. With the quality of the show, it needs talking about again. I watched the top four matches for the first time in years yesterday…

Smackdown Money in the Bank Ladder match. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Kane vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Wade Barrett vs. Heath Slater vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Sin Cara.

This remains my #1 MITB Ladder match and one of the best Ladder matches ever for the content, the pacing in it and the big spots. There’s Daniel Bryan’s perseverance, Sheamus Powerbomb putting Sin Cara through a ladder. Kane’s chokeslam on Sheamus onto a ladder which Sheamus fucking bounced off and Justin Gabriel’s 450 splash from a flat ladder laying across the top turnbuckle on Kane. The match resulted in a surprising but a very worthy winner in Daniel Bryan which added to my enjoyment off the match.

I rarely buy WWE PPV's on DVD but had to for this show. One of the best wrestling PPV's ever.