DVDVR Message Board

Roadblock II

Dolfan in NYC

28 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I guess just for the record - the CWC/NXT stuff

• Sami/Nak
  • AA/Revival
  • Bayley/Asuka II (at a min better than HITC and last night)
  • Revial/DIY (which Gregg already mentioned)
  • Metalik/Tozawa
  • Ibushi/Kendrick
  • Metalik/Perkins
  • Ibushi/Cedric

I know I am forgetting some

I love the AA/Revival match. 

Nak/Sami doesn't hold up for me. It is a really well worked match but I just can't get into Nak. And if I didn't have a meeting I would write an essay about how that match was the Death of the Golden Era of NXT. 

The only CWC match that stood out to me was the Cedric match. Great emotional moment.

That is why I loved Sasha/Charlotte so much: The matches had such a great emotional level to them. They didn't feel important. They are important. 

Dude, there's nothing on the horizon. It'd be important if this was all heading somewhere but Sasha is moving down and Bayley hasn't been properly built up nor has Nia Jax.  The booking has been atrocious.

Speaking of that, Cesaro and Sheamus just broke a near 500-day streak by the New Day.  Does anyone care? I love Sheamus and Cesaro as a team. I love the New Day. But nobody cares again because the booking leading up to this was nonexistent.

RAW hasn't done one damn creative or compelling piece of storytelling since the draft except Jericho/Owens.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Dude, there's nothing on the horizon. It'd be important if this was all heading somewhere but Sasha is moving down and Bayley hasn't been properly built up nor has Nia Jax.  The booking has been atrocious.

Speaking of that, Cesaro and Sheamus just broke a near 500-day streak by the New Day.  Does anyone care? I love Sheamus and Cesaro as a team. I love the New Day. But nobody cares again because the booking leading up to this was nonexistent.

RAW hasn't done one damn creative or compelling piece of storytelling since the draft except Jericho/Owens.

Thats a WCW comparison youre making.

That was fantastic stuff. Of course I've always doubted the main roster decision makers would ever look at him as anything other than another plucky, flippy-doo babyface. But he showed main event level stuff during the Zayn feud. That was basically finishing school for Neville.

Rollins' title reign was trash, but his defence against Neville was one of my favourite WWE matches last year. 

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I guess just for the record - the CWC/NXT stuff

• Sami/Nak
  • AA/Revival
  • Bayley/Asuka II (at a min better than HITC and last night)
  • Revial/DIY (which Gregg already mentioned)
  • Metalik/Tozawa
  • Ibushi/Kendrick
  • Metalik/Perkins
  • Ibushi/Cedric

I know I am forgetting some

I will add at least one other AA/Revival, and the other Revival/DIY.

I also really liked ZSJ/Metalik -- worked at a furious pace appropriate to its place in the tournament, and said pace covered up a lot of sloppy execution.

5 hours ago, Matt D said:

My favorite WWE Neville stuff was when he was playing subtle heel against Zayn in the last month or two before Zayn finally won the NXT title, so we'll see how this goes. 

He also had that really good match with Owens were he wrestled really angry. Angry Neville is probably best Neville.

Then again, almost any wrestler wrestles better when he's angry. We need more anger in modern wrestling.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, El Dragon said:

He also had that really good match with Owens were he wrestled really angry. Angry Neville is probably best Neville.

Then again, almost any wrestler wrestles better when he's angry. We need more anger in modern wrestling.

Yourr asking something these guys really do not know how to do. 

Show emotion 

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't remember there being 5 big Revival matches.  The 2/3 falls was an all-timer.  Their match at the prior Takeover with DIY was really good too.  I guess they had one with Alpha.  Don't remember what else.

3 with American Alpha (2 at Takeovers, the 2/3 match after) and 2 with DIY.

For an insight into the mania that is Vince's brain (from Meltzer on the radio show)

It was his idea to have Sasha tap with 2 seconds left because he thought the crowd was going to be all hot and counting down the seconds to her winning and then we she tapped it would crush them.

So yeah - Vince was purposely trying to kill the crowd for shits and giggles

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

For an insight into the mania that is Vince's brain (from Meltzer on the radio show)

It was his idea to have Sasha tap with 2 seconds left because he thought the crowd was going to be all hot and counting down the seconds to her winning and then we she tapped it would crush them.

So yeah - Vince was purposely trying to kill the crowd for shits and giggles

Well the crowd was shitty to begin with, but what is wrong with a heel making them angry?

That being said, the face tapping out to tie with under 5 seconds left was stupid booking. Charlotte should have tied it up earlier, and then the final stretch shoud have had Sasha make it to the time limit, and then lose in overtime.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dewar said:

Well the crowd was shitty to begin with, but what is wrong with a heel making them angry?

That being said, the face tapping out to tie with under 5 seconds left was stupid booking. Charlotte should have tied it up earlier, and then the final stretch shoud have had Sasha make it to the time limit, and then lose in overtime.

What's wrong with it is the same thing that was wrong about Triple H in the early 2000s.

10 hours ago, RIPPA said:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Dewar said:

So only babyfaces should win? Or Charlotte is on the booking committee? I'm not sure what I am supposed to be angry about here.

She was down 2-1 and made the comeback making the babyface tap with two seconds left and then won clean in OT.  It's completely backwards. Yes, a heel can win clean but why is the babyface tapping with two seconds left. Why is the heel winning clean all the time. She won clean at Summerslam and clean at Hell in a Cell and clean at Clash of Champions where she dominated most of the match.  That's the shit that turned people off in the early 2000s and contributed to the downswing of the business for years.

• Like 1

My original post said that the babyface tapping out with 2 seconds left is stupid,

I think it's quite unfair to compare Charlotte to 2005 HHH. She's lost clean to Sasha three times as well. The story is that they are almost evenly matched. Also, she's not booking herself, like HHH was/is.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

The story is that they are almost evenly matched. Also, she's not booking herself, like HHH was/is.

That's not the story though. They had Sasha come out and say Charlotte is better. They have the babyface whining and crying about losing to the better heel. That's terrible. I didn't say she was booking it and I don't think HHH was even booking himself. What I mean is they are booking her like they did with HHH all those years.