DVDVR Message Board

Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84)

Phil Schneider

Another great match from these guys, though not in the league of their previous.  More great matwork to start off and the spot where Rocca has Mocho in the indian deathlock and is slamming him down is genius; Mocho's selling afterward is masterful and the end to the first fall is a real jaw dropping moment.  Mocho working over Rocca in the segunda is good and his overhead arm drags look like really damaging offense.  The ending is disappointing in a way but the way Mocho turned it into a double pin actually looked a lot better off the cuff than that spot usually does.  Latter bit of the second fall and the third fall I didn't really love -- and that's not to say it doesn't stay good, just that it isn't on the brilliant level of the first fall.

Another great match. I really like how in lucha, and especially in the stuff on this set, they sell every impact on the mat as a big deal. In a match like this every hiptoss and armdrag looks really painful and I think a lot of that is how the offense is presented. Rocca slamming the back of Cota's head into the mat repeatedly during the indian deathlock looked brutal. I may have liked some of the matwork in this one more but the last match felt like more of a complete package.

After watching this I found it interested how things are so upside down compared to the 80's and present time. These days the first two falls of championship matches are barely given time and the 3rd falls are generally 10-20 minutes of nearfalls. People who aren't fans of current lucha will point out the matches are too short but to use this Rocca/Cota match as comparison - the 1st & 2nd falls got plenty of time but it was the 3rd fall that was rushed and ended in 3 minutes or less. Not to mention the countless Atlantis singles matches throughout the 80's/early 90's where the 2nd or 3rd fall would go seconds before he'd win with the Atlantida. Just an interesting observation.

I guess I'm in the minority but I liked this match over the previous match. As someone noted above the Indian Deathlock spot where Rocca kept throwing Cota down was great. Rocca doing that type of roll-up to win the first fall in 1984 would have blown my mind had I not known it was coming. Really enjoyed the pace of the second fall with Cota taking his time and slowly taking Rocca apart. Even though the third fall was short I thought it was great as both guys just went right for the win with their entire arsenal of roll-ups. I'm not a fan of BS finishes in general but this type of controversial finish is the one I like the most where Rocca thought he had it won but Cota grabbed his arms for the draw. Perfect rudo move - especially for a champ. He didn't cheat to win and he didn't beat his rival but he kept his title and has nothing else to prove. Cota played it off perfectly post-match.

Time for the rematch.  Cota is more animated at the onset mugging for the crowd.  First fall was more beautiful wrestling.  Cota spinning out of the chinlock was incredibly cool.  Cota trying to frustrate Rocca by rubbing his face like you would pet a dog is also awesome.  The arm submission work looks very nasty and unique.  Rocca seems to be showing a little more viciousness in this rematch which is appreciated.  The flip over victory roll finish was awesome and the perfect way to end the first fall.  Cota again is awesome at the beginning of the second fall getting dropped on his dome and trying to shake out the cobwebs.  Cota comes firing back with more desperation and aggression because he has to even it up.  Constant one arm takedowns and slinging him into the turnbuckle.  Big senton and Cota uses his knee to help with pinfalls.  Cota finishes him off with a submission that I am sure has a name, but hell if I know what it is.  Cota gets a little overzealous coming in and gets posted.  The third fall has a much faster pace.  Rocca goes for a pin but Cota  catches his arm and we get another double pin.  I don’t want this feud to end.  Third fall being abbreviated made sense but does place this one slightly below the first match. 

****1/4

Can we talk about the fact that Cota is wearing boots with the outline of his hand with the missing fingers on the side?  That is amazing.

Not quite as good as their last meeting, but still great stuff.  Fist fall had a bunch of cool stuff.  Second fall plays off last match with Cota going with what worked before.

Third fall is what takes it down a bit.  Nice finish and all, but just over way too quick.

El continuacion! More matwork. I could watch these guys stretch each other all day. The finish to una caida is freaky, graceful, and completely beautiful, everything you want out of lucha. Something I've noticed that nobody ever mentions is the use of the whistle instead of a bell to announce falls in lucha, it makes me feel like something is missing. The announcers seem to be mentioning Sinaloa and Guadalajara a lot in these matches and I wonder if the feud is regionally-based. Three guesses on which guy is Sinaloan! (Sorry, a bad stereotype, I couldn't resist.) They Flair/Steamboat the ending and I want a rubber match.

Awesome, awesome match. I liked this better than the first match. The first fall was out of this world great with Cota doing detailed work on Rocca’s arm and hand. My favorite part was Cota mangling Rocca’s hand with his mangled hand. The mat work here was done with so much precision. It also has a feel of toughness to it that’s really unique. The finishing run to the first fall was incredible. Cota was taking great bumps and that last sequence was excellent. The second fall got some time and was really good. Cota starts working over Rocca’s arm and neck area using those awesome throws he does. I loved the near falls too and Cota’s reaction to them. He finally gets Rocca to submit to his contorting submission. The third fall was very short but full speed with some great action. Cota’s post bump was tremendous. The finish is another screwy one but much more clever and believable. Cota grinning and strutting around after the match was fucking hilarious. I loved him pointing at and mocking Rocca for pulling another one on him. 

This is getting four and half stars from me. That’s a solid A. It was a totally awesome match and all three falls were great. The finish was screwy but at least this time it was entertaining and clever.  

NWA Welterweight Title: Mocho Cota © vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84)This is a rematch from the previous week which has already been nominated and was a fantastic match so this has some pressure to live up to it. The matwork early was very strong like the week before as they were great at keeping everything moving along with no real slow spots. Cota hit a nice belly to belly throw for a nearfall before a swanky victory roll to take the 1st fall. Cota came back in the 2nd fall using more impact offense working over Rocca's neck viciously eventually getting him in a Reinera to take the fall. The 3rd fall started as a complete contrast to the last two as both men were working at a fast pace and it ended very quickly as well as Rocca got Cota in an O'Connor Roll but Cota pulled his shoulders down with his arms and Rocca got counted out. The last fall was extremely short but the finish was kinda cool and the rest of the match was solid as well. I prefer the week previous over this one but this is still a pretty damn solid match.

Another very good match. First fall matwork was just tremendous stuff again, these guys can do no wrong. Just really slick simple work peppered with some brutal torturous holds from Cota. He wasn't as heelish here as in the previous match but he made sure people never forgot what a dick he was, starting with that really obnoxious grin of his before the bell. He also made sure the heat would stay on him after Rocca had put a bit of a dickish beating on him and dropping him on his heat. He sure as hell made sure to retaliate in style for that just whipping Rocca into the mat repeatedly. These matches are really all about simple stuff sold as extremely painful. The short 3rd fall gives this the feel of a really cool 4 round WoS bout. After they had put the ring mat over as so deadly in the first two falls the post bump felt like a holy shit spot, and the finish was the best Cota could do in that condition. What a master.

Lucha 2.3
Mocho Cota vs. Americo Rocca (2/3/84)

Cota is such an awesome douchebag heel. The guy is just absolutely right up my street. The way he carries himself, the way he's just such a little fucking dick! Awesome.

This matwork is not quite as great so far as the first-fall of the last match. However, the face rub and heelish laughing was fucking great. Cota has been the stand-out character for me so far watching this stuff.

Nice bulldog. This is more of a bomb-throwing affair than the last match. Massive backdrop. Running belly-to-back suplex. Awesome Alabama Jam into the victory roll for a very flashy fall. I thought this wasn't going to be as good as the last match but that was awesome. Very different style of match too.

There's an interesting narrative developing with Cota having hurt the BACK of his head. I can't recall too many matches built around hurting the back of the head. Interesting.

Rocca's selling of that snapmare is tremendous. Neckbreaker. Rocca is great at selling. Hmmm, not sure about this draw finish. But this was still pretty great. LOVING Cota.

B+

Another nice technical match. Same issues I had with their first match though, the work is awesome, but I just have trouble getting sucked into it. The quiet crowd might have something to do with it. I do agree with everyone that Cota is totally awesome in everything he does. A slight notch below their first match.

B- or ***1/2

• 2 weeks later...

I really like Cota. This isn't as good as the last one. I thought the first fall was a little more focused and emotional but wasn't nearly as impressive. Cota's head selling was spot on and led to the amazing finish. Second fall wasn't nearly as dickish as in the last match but Rocca was selling his ass off. Third fall was pretty quick but had some stand out moments. In general, I do think they switched things up enough and it showed good versatility from both guys but the first match of the two seemed better.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, not up to the level of the previous match, but still pretty great. I loved how in the first match, they started things off playing it kinda straight, seeing who the better man was, before Cota got pissed and started detroying the arm. But this time, Cota comes into the match pure rudo, outright laughing at Rocca during the introductions, and then face-palming him after getting the upper hand on the mat. He came off totally dickish. So much aggression to this matwork. Cradle finish to the first caida had me marking out. Rocca's selling during the second fall was way over-the-top for me, flopping around like a fish out of water off Cota's, admittedly pretty brutal-looking, armdrags and hiptosses. Cota's reaction to winning the segunda was so great, just laughing it up with his second in the corner. He's so great. He actually made me want to see Rocca win, and it's really hard for a heel to ellicit that kind of response from me. What a letdown the deciding fall was, although it was a great way for Cota to retain the title. I thought Rocca was going to cry, and Cota just played it perfectly. Can't get enough of this guy.

• 2 months later...

I agree that Cota's mannerisms were great throughout this match.  I think James Franco should bulk up a bit and play the lead in the Mocho Cota Story.  The handwork by Cota was nasty, as was the head-rub in the first fall.  I liked the first and second falls quite a bit, but the short third fall left me a bit underwhelmed, although it made sense.  I also have this a bit below their previous match, but this match should be a strong mid-range match for me.

This never grabbed my attention the way the first meeting did -- the thing that stood out the most in the opening section was how huge that ref's bow tie was. Now Cota is a great dick to start the match, but the matwork is a lot slower than the previous match and that is probably why it didn't hold me. Did love the Alabama slam into the victory roll to end the first fall, but Cota sneaking in a double pinfall to keep the belt was a little too cute for me. Felt like a bottom half match at the very best.

• 7 months later...

Definitely felt like a slightly different match the the week prior; both guys seemed wary and distrustful of each other after that finish, and they brought in enough different spots that it avoided feeling like a repeat. They weren't working as cleanly – there were less holds and more moves – but it didn't feel like it built up to a strong pitch before the finish. Rocca's cradle to take the first fall was great. Cota being an active in the final double pin made that spot better than usual; Rocca didn't pin himself, he was pulled into it. Last week's one just had a bit more to it.