DVDVR Message Board

RAW is Consequences of messing around with married women

Niners Fan in CT

3 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

The biggest problem with the Cruiserweights is the division itself is unnecessary.  

Back at the height of "Junior" and "Cruiser" wrestling, big guys dominated and there was a specific style, and couldn't, or didn't want to keep up with lighter guys working a faster, higher impact style that at the time was state-of-the-art that people were interested in seeing.  The types of matches you saw around the Junior Divisions in Japan and the Cruisers in the States in the late 90's were very different from what you saw out of Heavyweight matches.

Fast forward to today, and in pretty much everywhere, lighter guys are presented equal with big guys, and there isn't that stigma of "you need to be at least 245 to be a credible heavyweight" deal.  The WWE World Champion AJ Styles is 220, his top contender Dean Ambrose 225.  Previous champions in the past 3-4 years are Daniel Bryan (200), Seth Rollins (217), and CM Punk (billed 218, 170 MMA Class).  Finn Balor won the Universal Title and he's 190.  In New Japan, while Okada is 235, Omega is his top Challenger, at 190.  And guys are working that faster style.  Aj Styles does the same type of offensive stuff that Rich Swann does,  (ballpark, not same movesets, but the same basic flying around style).  There's nothing to differentiate the Cruiserweight division from the Heavyweight division outside of the purple color scheme, not in the way that the styles of wrestling found between the two division were in the 90's.  The tournament was fun, but the division and title weren't necessary, and that it's no different from the rest of the show is killing it.

Well Finn Balor and Daniel Bryan are Juniors and I believe Daniel would have loved to have a Cruiserweight division when he was around.

While I agree with what you are saying, I think you are generalizing a style of wrestling because there is a significant difference between how Finn Balor works and how Rich Swann works. AJ for one is not typical at all because his agility is high level shit. Dude did a springboard Shooting Star Press as a throwaway move. Dude is the most versatile wrestler of our generation in that he can work any style whether it is power, technical, brawling, or spot fests and he does it all well to the point that each could equate to someone who specializes in each. Rich Swann when it comes to agility is up there as well as it is hard as fuck to do a standing front tuck without any forward momentum let alone doing so at a moment's notice. The difference between guys today who are the "Cruiserweights" and any guy like Finn Balor, Seth Rollins, and ect. is that the Cruisers today are a fuck ton more coordinated and specialized. The technical difficulty of what they do is high and a lot of what they do can't be fathomed. I watch that Will Ospreay and Ricochet match, and controversy aside, the shit they were doing was incredible.

It's like what guys like Cesaro, Finn Balor, Seth Rollins, and CM Punk do/did is like Marvel's Daredevil or Captain America shows or movies do in terms of choreography. The stuff that the Cruiserweights do and are capable of is like Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, or any Martial Arts film like I mentioned.  The problem is that it is too fine of a line to cut.

12 minutes ago, jstout said:

Anybody have a decent explanation why the next PPV has two names, "Roadblock: End of the Line" as opposed to say, maybe just "Roadblock"? The whole name sounds so forced.

At least the title doesn't literally give away the ending:

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn

• Like 2

To Differentiate it from the wrestler Roadblock?  The big thing is keeping the heavyweights away from them as sort of cheap heat, but it's already happened(Corbin). The Cruiserweights are still seen as a WCW idea. especially by Kevin Dunn. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, piranesi said:

At least the title doesn't literally give away the ending:

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn

"It's High Noon at the End of the Universe."

Young zev was once mad he didn't get to see that in the theaters in glorious 3D because the trailer looked cool.

Upon seeing it years later on cable TV, I was totally cool with having seen Return of the Jedi again instead.

~~~

Any chance End of the Line just means the theme music for the PPV will be courtesy of that hot new band Vince just discovered, The Traveling Wilburys?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zev said:

Any chance End of the Line just means the theme music for the PPV will be courtesy of that hot new band Vince just discovered, The Traveling Wilburys?

I wish.  I wasn't a metal/alternative fan even when I was 20.

1 hour ago, Sammo~! said:

I guess the other question is why would they do two Roadblocks in one year, there are plenty of other PPV names they could resurrect.

I've been asking myself the same question ever since this one was announced. Especially since the other one was named Roadblock, because it happened between Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania, you know the Road to Wrestlemania?

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I'm assuming the tag line is to avoid confusion with the other "Roadblock" that happened but still it's hilarious they need to say the entire name each time it's said.

Yeah, that killed me last night. Another thing that always gets me when wrestlers cut promos about their PPV matches are when they say "WWE" before the event name. You don't need to say that, I already know I'm watching WWE and not a re-run of ECW Hardcore TV or anything. Geez. The branding gets a little outrageous sometimes - speaking of, what happened to that little news bit about them cutting out calling the fans "the WWE universe"? That lasted all of one week I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zev said:

Or the fittest girl band of the 90s?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, just drew said:

It's December. They could've done Starrcade.

I think when Vince dies, HHH's second and third acts after firing Kevin Dunn, will be giving us War Games and running Starrcade as a December ppv.

A guy can dream, right?

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I think when Vince dies, HHH's second and third acts after firing Kevin Dunn, will be giving us War Games and running Starrcade as a December ppv.

A guy can dream, right?

I think in a hypothetical world where Triple H is running the show and Dunn is gone there's a good chance the shows will be booked very differently and probably have more of an old school feel to them like NXT BUT I do not see War Games coming.  I think they will stick with the TVPG format with adult storylines. 

However, I could see a War Games in NXT possibly because theoretically NXT can be TV14 on the network

8 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I think in a hypothetical world where Triple H is running the show and Dunn is gone there's a good chance the shows will be booked very differently and probably have more of an old school feel to them like NXT BUT I do not see War Games coming.  I think they will stick with the TVPG format with adult storylines. 

However, I could see a War Games in NXT possibly because theoretically NXT can be TV14 on the network

Is War Games more violent than Elimination Chamber or Hell in a Cell?