DVDVR Message Board

RAW is Consequences of messing around with married women

Niners Fan in CT

47 minutes ago, The Great ML said:

Don't forget all the Certified G's.

After that bit tonight I kind of want to see a series of segments where Flair takes Enzo (or some other young guy) out to teach them the finer points of stylin' and profilin'.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, J.T. said:

I hate to speak ill of the dead, but Randy's issues with Liz really didn't have much to do with the business.   If people are going to break up, they do it. 

That and Randy married his "high school sweetheart" after divorcing Liz, so who the hell knows what was going on there.

AFAIK, Jimmy Garvin and Precious are still marred and their relationship survived the carny business because they both knew that angles are a part of the business. 

Adrian Street and Miss Linda are still together and they met on 1969. Mind you, they only made it LEGAL in 2005, but still.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Green Meanie said:

Also I gotta love the fact that the audience booed the hell out of T.J. Perkins.

There are only three wrestlers in the Cruiserweight division that can generate a face pop and Perkins ain't one of them. I don't know who thought of giving a belt to a guy whose entire style does not really embody the Cruiserweights as the first champion of them. Or have the first actual feud be between two guys who are so atypical of Cruiserweight wrestling. Like I get that there is more to cruiserweights than flying around, but in these days when even big boys can do suicide dives and the WWE world Champ is AJ Styles, the Cruiserweight division has to set itself apart from everyone else and Perkins and Kendrick were not the ones to do it. Swann is a better fit as champion and was a better fit to start a feud with Perkins as evidence of the match they had last night. I am not railing against Kendrick because I love the guy and his performances during the Classic, but his character and arc needed a slow burn.

Sure, we can also blame the whole "these are your cruiserweights and they are awesome," bullshit Mick Foley did to introduce them. You know how the failed Diva's Revolution angle started except the audience probably is not patient enough with the men as they are with women in an era where Daniel Bryan and CM Punk kicked down all doors and there is a proverbial flood of indie talent dominating the WWE.

• Like 1

I like TJ Perkins, and enjoyed his match with Swann last night, but he wasn't the right guy to win the CWC and initially be the face of the cruiserweight division. I'm sure WWE expected Kota Ibushi to sign and be in that spot.

It's been said elsewhere, but I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread yet, but Jack Gallagher is awesome in every way. I can see him getting over really well and being a breakout star because of how different he is from anyone else on the roster...and who doesn't love a Rollie Fingers moustache? I would love a network special with Gallagher and Simon Gotch on styling their moustaches.

• Like 1

I feel like Gallagher didn't get to do enough of his sweet reversals, escapes, and holds in his match to properly showcase him and what he can do. I get needing to save stuff for later matches, but in his debut match, I don't think he got enough time to shine. That said, even in what little time they got and what little he was able to show in their match, he still got over with the crowd. He's going to be a huge breakout star for the division, I think, if they give him enough time. His straightjacket tie up kick to the butt spot will get over huge with the RAW crowd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kyuubi said:

Like I get that there is more to cruiserweights than flying around, but in these days when even big boys can do suicide dives and the WWE world Champ is AJ Styles, the Cruiserweight division has to set itself apart from everyone else and Perkins and Kendrick were not the ones to do it. Swann is a better fit as champion and was a better fit to start a feud with Perkins as evidence of the match they had last night.

This, exactly. I didn't watch the CWC so other then Kendrick these guys are all new to me. So far my favorites have been Swann, Gallagher, and Drew Gulak. The common thread is they're all entertaining. I'm not usually a fan of the crusierweight style (read: flippy). Swann and Gallagher won me over with their characters. Gallagher and Gulak by the fact that they have a grappler/technician style. Perkins did nothing for me from the start (the 8-bit theme song was good for one show) but then he got super annoying when they decided to have him talk like how they think gamers talk. I'd like to see them portrayed as actual characters like the other wrestlers on the roster with backstories and such to give you a reason to care for them, as compared to now, when it's pretty much "Here's the cruiserweights!" and just throwing them out there with no reason why you should care about their matches.

1 hour ago, The Green Meanie said:

This, exactly. I didn't watch the CWC so other then Kendrick these guys are all new to me. So far my favorites have been Swann, Gallagher, and Drew Gulak. The common thread is they're all entertaining. I'm not usually a fan of the crusierweight style (read: flippy). Swann and Gallagher won me over with their characters. Gallagher and Gulak by the fact that they have a grappler/technician style. Perkins did nothing for me from the start (the 8-bit theme song was good for one show) but then he got super annoying when they decided to have him talk like how they think gamers talk. I'd like to see them portrayed as actual characters like the other wrestlers on the roster with backstories and such to give you a reason to care for them, as compared to now, when it's pretty much "Here's the cruiserweights!" and just throwing them out there with no reason why you should care about their matches.

The biggest problem with the Cruiserweights is the division itself is unnecessary.  

Back at the height of "Junior" and "Cruiser" wrestling, big guys dominated and there was a specific style, and couldn't, or didn't want to keep up with lighter guys working a faster, higher impact style that at the time was state-of-the-art that people were interested in seeing.  The types of matches you saw around the Junior Divisions in Japan and the Cruisers in the States in the late 90's were very different from what you saw out of Heavyweight matches.

Fast forward to today, and in pretty much everywhere, lighter guys are presented equal with big guys, and there isn't that stigma of "you need to be at least 245 to be a credible heavyweight" deal.  The WWE World Champion AJ Styles is 220, his top contender Dean Ambrose 225.  Previous champions in the past 3-4 years are Daniel Bryan (200), Seth Rollins (217), and CM Punk (billed 218, 170 MMA Class).  Finn Balor won the Universal Title and he's 190.  In New Japan, while Okada is 235, Omega is his top Challenger, at 190.  And guys are working that faster style.  Aj Styles does the same type of offensive stuff that Rich Swann does,  (ballpark, not same movesets, but the same basic flying around style).  There's nothing to differentiate the Cruiserweight division from the Heavyweight division outside of the purple color scheme, not in the way that the styles of wrestling found between the two division were in the 90's.  The tournament was fun, but the division and title weren't necessary, and that it's no different from the rest of the show is killing it.

• Like 4

Also, as someone with NO interest in the cruisers, I checked out 205 live last week bc it was on and then Raw last night, and Jack Gallagher has a new fan. I'm not even sure what it is about the guy, but I found myself laughing my ass off during his match. In a good way...

• Like 1