DVDVR Message Board

UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis (12/10/2016) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

3 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Some of the best hands in MMA. If he sorts his weight problems out, he's a top 3 fighter at either 185 or 170.

Despite what he just said, his future is at middleweight. He just trounced Tim Kennedy with ease after adjusting to Kennedy's strength.

Although I don't think he picked Gastelum outright, Patrick Wyman did call Gastelum destroying Kennedy on the feet if it stood there for any significant amount of time. 

This has been quite a day for combat sports. Illunga-Duut II, Whyte-Chisora, and now this fight have made this just a crazy, long day for me.

How the fuck did Choi make to the final horn? Like how? Swanson for that matter too.

• Like 1

Man, Brown was perhaps having the best performance he has had recently but you saw the coming. Cerrone was landing those head kicks too easily. He disguised it one time, and it was night night. In tough scrap like that, the potential outcomes always favor the more dynamic fighter. It wasn't any different here.

Nice adjustments from Holloway towards the end of round 2 and basically the entirety of round 3. He substituted empty volume and potshots and set up his combinations like he did on the knockdown. Even with a broken hand, the whole come forward and exchange counters game would have just made the fight closer than it should have been and allowed Pettis to make his offense seem as effective. Holloway forced Pettis to set his feet and basically stay in front of him. Pettis couldn't really throw that right hand so it's not like he had the ability to keep Holloway off of him. Holloway forced the issue when he should have and basically landed a perfect flurry to end the fight.

Swanson  vs. Choi is easily fight of the year.

Give Holloway his title shot already.  Holloway, don't fight ever again unless it's for the real UFC title and not interim garbage.  

Pettis move up in weight.  Gastelum had one of the best performances of his career and he still believes he's going to fight at welterweight.  Letourneau, move up in weight until UFC adds another division.  You clearly can't cut it at straweight anymore.

I would just say book Cerrone vs. Lawler when Lawler is ready.

Tim Kennedy looks like he came to UFC 206 thinking it was a Mr. Universe competition.  Dude needs to spend more time on the treadmill and less time on the benchpress.  

2 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

Give Holloway his title shot already.  Holloway, don't fight ever again unless it's for the real UFC title and not interim garbage.  

Pettis move up in weight.  Gastelum had one of the best performances of his career and he still believes he's going to fight at welterweight.  Dude is a fucking idiot.  Letourneau, move up in weight until UFC adds another division.  You clearly can't cut it at straweight anymore.

I would just say book Cerrone vs. Lawler when Lawler is ready.

Tim Kennedy looks like he came to UFC 206 thinking it was a Mr. Universe competition.  Dude needs to spend more time on the treadmill and less time on the benchpress.  

Ok, we're declaring a moratorium on the whole fucking idiot/moron. If I see it again, your post is going bye-bye. This time only a slight edit.

While Holloway is angling for Brooklyn for the Aldo fight, I think Bisping-Romero might be more likely. I believe Cormier-Rumble might be set for April, a potential HW title fight between Miocic vs. the winner of Werdum/Cain II in May, and the rematch between Woodley-Wonderboy sometime in the spring as well. If they had a chance to double up and put the FW and MW title fights on the 208 card, that would be fine of course. However, I think they load the undercard for Brooklyn instead of two title fights. I think the Vegas show in March may be more of a hard sell so you might want to put the FW title fight on there along with possibly Joanna vs. Bate Estaca if Joanna is ready.

Has Antony Pettis been om the Tito Ortiz vitamin programme? Because he's starting to get the whole Easter Island head look that Tito has.

I hope they do a Choi vs Swanson rematch as a main event (5 rounds!) quickly, rather than push Swanson up into a title shot first (because he'd, y'know, lose that). Although obviously Holloway is ahead of him in the queue, and it's not a division where the belt is defended more than twice a year.

• Like 1

Great fight between Cub Swanson vs. Doo Hoi Choi. Echo AxB's request for a fiver (rounds not money!) between them. On a first watch though, it's not my Fight of the Year. I'd still give that to Robbie Lawler vs. Carlos Condit at UFC 195.

Glad one of my favourite MMA fighters, Donald Cerrone won. That head kick KO was nasty, the sound on impact.

I liked how on the post-show, Bisping was saying Gastellum should stay at 185. I guess that's code for 'knock off a few of my contenders, lad, because no way you beat me."

34 minutes ago, AxB said:

I liked how on the post-show, Bisping was saying Gastellum should stay at 185. I guess that's code for 'knock off a few of my contenders, lad, because no way you beat me."

I think Gastelum would actually be a bad style matchup for Bisping moreso than the people you would typically think of as a bad matchup for Bisping. I don't know if Gastelum is the guy you want to have a long, extended kickboxing match with. I don't see Bisping having a clinch war with Gastelum on the cage because Gastelum was able to get out of that easily even before Kennedy's arms blew up. I think the only way Bisping would really be effective is if Gastelum just followed him around the cage and let Bisping edge out rounds. Unless Gastelum was just really out of shape, I don't see that happening. I think since getting with Parillo, Bisping has fared well against fighters who tend to lay back, wait for Bisping to make a mistake, and just put activity on them while they wait. Not only can Gastelum create his own offense, but he's pretty damn good at keeping you off balance. That's something Bisping has really struggled with his entire career, and that's when he goes off gameplan (see the first Rockhold fight as an example).

2 hours ago, AxB said:

Michael Bisping wants Kelvin Gastelum to stay at 185 as chances are he won't make weight for the title fight ; ).

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Michael Bisping wants Kelvin Gastelum to stay at 185 as chances are he won't make weight for the title fight ; ).

Better to fight Gastelum than fight that monster Yoel Romero.  I'd rather fight Godzilla.

• Like 1

Just now, supremebve said:

Better to fight Gastelum than fight that monster Yoel Romero.  I'd rather fight Godzilla.

I don't think that's the case because I can see a scenario where Romero doesn't do a whole lot. I watched this man do diddly shit against Derek Brunson and almost lose that fight. He relies so much on having a great eraser that I don't know if that's the worst for Michael Bisping. Hendo had that factor, and Bisping still pulled that one out of his ass. The same with the Anderson fight back in February.  I'm more worried about someone who can swamp Bisping with activity just like he is trying to do as well. If Romero is going to concede Bisping three rounds, all Mike has to do run away for 8-10 minutes and survive some scary moments. Bisping has shown himself capable of doing that.