DVDVR Message Board

UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis (12/10/2016) - Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Elsalvajeloco

UFC_206_Holloway_vs._Pettis_Poster.jpg?1

UFC 206: Holloway vs. Pettis 
December 10, 2016
Toronto, Ontario, Canada (Air Canada Centre)

Interim UFC Featherweight Championship: Max Holloway (145) vs. Anthony Pettis (148)*** - Holloway, TKO (strikes), R3 (4:50)
Donald Cerrone (170.5) vs. Matt Brown (171) - Cerrone, KO (head kick), R3 (0:34)
Cub Swanson (146) vs. Do Hoo Choi (145.5) - Swanson, DEC (unanimous)
Tim Kennedy (186) vs. Kelvin Gastelum (185) - Gastelum, TKO (strikes), R3 (2:45)
Jordan Mein (170) vs. Emil Weber Meek (170.5) - Meek, DEC (unanimous)

Fox Sports 1 Preliminary Card:
Nikita Krylov (206) vs. Misha Cirkunov (205) - Cirkunov, SUB (guillotine choke), R1 (4:38)
Olivier Aubin-Mercier (156) vs. Drew Dober (156) - Aubin-Mercier, SUB (rear naked choke), R2 (2:57)
Valérie Létourneau (117.5)** vs. Viviane Pereira (114) - Pereira, DEC (split)
Mitch Gagnon (135.5) vs. Matthew Lopez (136) - Lopez, DEC (unanimous)

Fight Pass Preliminary Card:
John Makdessi (155) vs. Landon Vannata (156) - Vannata, KO (spinning wheel kick), R1 (1:40)
Jason Saggo (155) vs. Rustam Khabilov (158.5)* - Khabilov, DEC (unanimous)
Zach Makovsky (125) vs. Dustin Ortiz (125) - Ortiz, DEC (split)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
**Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight
***Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight; Title only on the line for Holloway

Event Bonuses ($50,000):
Performance of the Night: Landon Vannata
Performance of the Night: Max Holloway
Fight of the Night: Cub Swanson vs. Do Hoo Choi

Attendance: 18,057
Gate: $1,843,101
Buyrate: 150,000

Cancelled Fights:
Valérie Létourneau vs. Poliana Botelho - Injury to Botelho 
John Moraga vs. Zach Makovsky - Injury to Moraga
Chad Laprise vs. Jingliang Li - Injury to Laprise
Tim Kennedy vs. Rashad Evans - Evans Removed By Commission for Medical Precaution
Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson - Injury to Cormier (Torn Adductor)

Just now, supremebve said:

He has officially missed weight, it is unknown if the fight will actually occur.  I really wanted to see this fight, but this is 2016 and everything has to suck.

The fight is probably a go, but I believe the title would only be on the line for Holloway. Decision hasn't been made yet.

The weigh in has been a bit crazy. The Ontario commission has told Emil Weber Meek he needs to trim or he won't be able to fight. Plus, Valerie Letourneau (who hasn't weighed in yet) is crying during her cut to 115. This is after I saw a MMAJunkie story this morning saying she doesn't want to fight at 135 for fear of being a punching bag and brain injury. Does she know being dehydrated puts her at greater risk for a brain injury?

1 minute ago, supremebve said:

I hate to be Thevileone, but this interim title business is getting dumber by the second.  How the hell you going to have a fight for a title if only one fighter can win it?

They have been doing that in boxing for years when one fighter misses weight during a title fight. People have actually been stripped on the scale on numerous occasions. Not sure when it started, but it has been happening in boxing for several years now. Brandon Halsey lost the Bellator MW belt on the scale in his fight w/ Kendall Grove so the title was only on the line for Grove. So when Grove lost, the title became vacant. The same situation would apply here but in essence, there won't be an interim champ if Pettis wins.

Just now, Elsalvajeloco said:

They have been doing that in boxing for years when one fighter misses weight during a title fight. People have actually been stripped on the scale on numerous occasions. Not sure when it started, but it has been happening in boxing for several years now. Brandon Halsey lost the Bellator MW belt on the scale in his fight w/ Kendall Grove so the title was only on the line for Grove. So when Grove lost, the title became vacant. The same situation would apply here but in essence, there won't be an interim champ if Pettis wins.

Yeah, the stupidity here is based on the fact that this belt is 100% imaginary.  There is already an interim champion, and he just won that belt in July.  It was kind of stupid to have an interim title fight to begin with, now it is just ridiculous.  

• Like 1

Just now, supremebve said:

Yeah, the stupidity here is based on the fact that this belt is 100% imaginary.  There is already an interim champion, and he just won that belt in July.  It was kind of stupid to have an interim title fight to begin with, now it is just ridiculous.  

Aldo is the official FW champ. There isn't an interim champ. 

Also, this is the norm for any of those title fights whether it's for the full, regular/super (ala the WBA boxing titles), or interim titles in boxing or MMA. It's not that strange of the decision because the commission recognizes it as a title fight. 

This event has been a nightmare unfolding. There are still some quality fights but holy shit, just one thing after another. This is what happens when you load up on super shows on either side of a PPV card though. 

I liked last year's December line-up a lot better than this year's. Those two smaller but still great cards right before 194 made for such a sweet 3 day stretch as a fan. Here's hoping Lewis and Ngannou smash fools to get this weekend off on the right foot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This event has been a nightmare unfolding. There are still some quality fights but holy shit, just one thing after another. This is what happens when you load up on super shows on either side of a PPV card though. 

I liked last year's December line-up a lot better than this year's. Those two smaller but still great cards right before 194 made for such a sweet 3 day stretch as a fan. Here's hoping Lewis and Ngannou smash fools to get this weekend off on the right foot. 

I generally believe that's like every Canadian PPV period at this point. What was the last PPV in Canada to have a streak of good luck? I don't think the Western Canada ones have had any.

• Like 2

Anthony Pettis has no excuse, other than he shouldn't have been fighting at featherweight in the first place.  He looked terrible cutting down to featherweight the first time, and he had no cardio either.  Holloway is going to eat him alive tomorrow.

Making this an interim title fight was hot garbage from the beginning and everyone knows it.  Now you have an embarrassing situation such as this.  Where they were so desperate to go on with the card with a title main event.  And now it's only on the line for one opponent.  

Not surprised about Valerie Letourneau.  I was more surprised she was fighting again at strawweight.  Her problems making weight last time were well documented and they allowed her a catchweight fight at 125 pounds with Calderwood.

UFC in Toronto is truly cursed.

I was going to pose the question before the early weigh in, but I guess I will ask now: Should we get a draw or a Pettis upset win somehow, who do you go with against Aldo in the spring? I mean the UFC wouldn't be above trying to have Pettis make 145 again against Aldo if Pettis won tomorrow. Swanson would have three straight wins if he beat Superboy. I believe Yair Rodriguez would be the dark horse option because I don't see how Penn doesn't look terrible in that fight.

The winner of Doo Ho Choi vs. Cub Swanson would be the obvious choice.  But regardless, it's not happening because Holloway is going to send Pettis packing tomorrow.  

There's no guarantee Aldo even fights in the spring anyway.  He could throw another hissy fit, or he will get injured again after pulling out of five UFC title fights.

24 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

The winner of Doo Ho Choi vs. Cub Swanson would be the obvious choice.  

I don't think it's that obvious because Doo Ho Choi is basically still a boy and still needs some seasoning even though it's clear that a win would put him right there in that immediate mix. I think Swanson would only get it if he just looked scintillating. His resume in those three wins would be over Hacran Dias, Kawajiri, and a fighter who is probably 2-4 years away from his fighting prime at the earliest. I think they would feel more comfortable with going with Rodriguez because he's going to smoke Penn and he's a more mature, well rounded fighter. Choi hasn't had a Caceres fight where he had to show more in his game or fight in an extremely close bout. If the Swanson fight was close and he edged it out with no screwjob type scoring, that would help his case but that doesn't help the case he should be in there with the most accomplished featherweight fighter of all time. Swanson, on the other hand, would probably be still 1-2 wins away at the very least. I think we would need more distance away from the performances against Edgar and Holloway.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

I don't think it's that obvious because Doo Ho Choi is basically still a boy and still needs some seasoning even though it's clear that a win would put him right there in that immediate mix. I think Swanson would only get it if he just looked scintillating. His resume in those three wins would be over Hacran Dias, Kawajiri, and a fighter who is probably 2-4 years away from his fighting prime at the earliest. I think they would feel more comfortable with going with Rodriguez because he's going to smoke Penn and he's a more mature, well rounded fighter. Choi hasn't had a Caceres fight where he had to show more in his game or fight in an extremely close bout. If the Swanson fight was close and he edged it out with no screwjob type scoring, that would help his case but that doesn't help the case he should be in there with the most accomplished featherweight fighter of all time. Swanson, on the other hand, would probably be still 1-2 wins away at the very least. I think we would need more distance away from the performances against Edgar and Holloway.

Jon Jones won the title when he was 20 years old.  Age doesn't really matter.  If he beats Swanson, he's in the top 5.  How is Yair Rodriguez a more mature well rounded fighter?  Rodriguez has 9 fights.  Choi has 16 fights, and he's finished his last eight.  Rodriguez was only 3-1 in MMA when he had his first UFC fight.  He's hardly more experienced.

Not saying Choi is going to smoke Swanson, or Pettis will smoke Holloway.  But Choi if he gets that win is definitely in that mix.  

You're calling Choi a boy and less mature, when Choi is OLDER than Rodriguez.  Rodriguez is only 24.  If anything, he's still a boy himself.  He's clearly getting better, but I'd hardly call him a mature fighter since he just tends to throw a lot of crazy stuff, and he just barely got a decision win over Bruce Leeroy.

Here's Pettis attempting to make weight.  Fighters need to stop trying to fight outside their weight class.  It's that simple.  Pettis looks like 100 miles of bad road here.  He looks like Christian Bale's double for The Machinist.  Fighters need to stop killing themselves so the whole camp they are worried about the pressure of just making weight.