DVDVR Message Board

Best Commentating Teams

40 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

IWA-MS   CM Punk and Dave Prazak.   Minus the inside jokes and they are gold

Did they ever not do the inside jokes?

Second the love for Tony/Crockett (that's why I put them in the title), Crockett was just so genuinely enthusiastic as a color guy that he literally colored the pretty blank palette of Tony's. 

So wish that Mauro was still doing NJPW with Warmaster instead of JR, but happy both of them are working at least. 

Monsoon / Heenan

Ross / Caudle

Ventura / Schiavone

I wold mark when Jesse would call Tony by his full name on commentary (and now to interview the winners of the match is our own NOAH ANTHONY SCHIVONIE~!!!) just like people did when Funk would refer to Chris Cruise as Crispy.

Fuck all haters of Dusty Rhodes on commentary.  Without him, we would not have CLUBBERIN' or PAY WINDAH as part of our collective wrestling lexicon.

• Like 3

All the good old school ones have been taken, so I'll go with the team of Excalibur/rotating guest commentator in PWG.  I wouldn't enjoy PWG as much without their commentary, which is funny while still calling the match pretty seriously.  Excalibur and Steen were awesome and Chuck Taylor has really come into his own lately.  Never forget that nobody kicks out of a falcon arrow, his name is Chris Hero and he throws elbows, stiff kicks to the back are fucking unnecessary, and that El Generico is undoubtedly a big boy.

• Like 5

On 12/3/2016 at 9:11 PM, J.H. said:

Monsson is only as good as who he is paired with. I never want ot hear a Monsoon/Ernie Ladd tandem ever again!

Am I crazy or did Monsoon also work with Bock during his brief WWF stint?

Bock worked very briefly with Gorilla on a couple of MSG shows, yes.

On 12/6/2016 at 8:59 AM, Technico Support said:

All the good old school ones have been taken, so I'll go with the team of Excalibur/rotating guest commentator in PWG.  I wouldn't enjoy PWG as much without their commentary, which is funny while still calling the match pretty seriously.  Excalibur and Steen were awesome and Chuck Taylor has really come into his own lately.  Never forget that nobody kicks out of a falcon arrow, his name is Chris Hero and he throws elbows, stiff kicks to the back are fucking unnecessary, and that El Generico is undoubtedly a big boy.

The one problem I have with Excalibur is how everyone and their mothers on small indies tries to emulate his style, as well as the aforementioned Dave Prazak/rotating commentator in IWA Mid-South, of being funny, and it rarely works and winds up being fucking annoying.

• Like 1

People emulate Excalibur because he is fucking awesome and Excalibur and Larry Rivera are gold on commentary.

"You might as well live on the street if you live in Texas," ranks up there with "My name is Chris Hero and I throw elbows."

• Like 3

I think regardless of who was with him Regal was gold.  On the OG NXT he quoted a Smiths song (I think when it was when Kaitlyn or Maxxine were coming out) and he was generally pretty good.  Then in Full Sail NXT he was absolute gold.  You know you loved his talks about the splendid times he had with Operaman Aiden English.  I like him as GM, but man do I miss him on commentary.

On 12/3/2016 at 1:32 PM, twiztor said:

i really loved when Paul Heyman replaced Lawler during the Invasion. Ross/Heyman was an excellent change of pace and never failed to entertain.

Monsoon/Heenan and Monsoon/Ventura are the greatest ever, of course

I have the same three picks. I was so disappointed when Heyman was "fired" and Lawler returned. What a downgrade.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I think regardless of who was with him Regal was gold.  On the OG NXT he quoted a Smiths song (I think when it was when Kaitlyn or Maxxine were coming out) and he was generally pretty good.  Then in Full Sail NXT he was absolute gold.  You know you loved his talks about the splendid times he had with Operaman Aiden English.  I like him as GM, but man do I miss him on commentary.

Regal was pretty big in getting English and Bayley over originally.  The whole "She's my niece's favorite daughter!" bit was an incredibly effective way to define her character early on.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, JonnyLaw said:

Regal was pretty big in getting English and Bayley over originally.  The whole "She's my niece's favorite daughter!" bit was an incredibly effective way to define her character early on.

So who's your niece's favorite daughter, Johnny? Rachel Ellering, maybe? Tessa Blanchard?

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Matt D said:

So who's your niece's favorite daughter, Johnny? Rachel Ellering, maybe? Tessa Blanchard?

I don't have a niece but I'd hope her favorite is Rachel.  She's pretty good and seems like one of the nicest people around.