DVDVR Message Board

Best Commentating Teams

Lance Russel And Dave Brown is my main duo. LR just was the best established institution, "objective" and "untouchable", he really never tried to get himself over and that added to the value of the product. Solie & Piper for the conservative/anarchic combo, and Ventura/Monsoon/McMahon was a classic team as well.

- RAF

• Like 3

Eddie Kingston was surprising to me on commentary. His high pitched shrieks and the "it's over" after a power/finisher would always help the match.

Graves and phillips when on NXT are going great guns.

Mauro and Bryan on the CWC were a joy to listen to. Two geeks, geeking out about prograps.

And for PWG, Excalibur and Chuckie T always slay. ALWAYS.

What I'd like to see is Michael Cole with Triple H in his headset, rather than McMahon. Cole has the ability for it, but he's just being forced to parrt out these lines and scripts all the fucking time. Let him go be cole. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

Forgot about the team of McMahon/Piper/Savage/Heenan. They absolutely slayed on the Survivor Series Hart/Perfect match and probably through the rest of the show, which I don't recall seeing all of. Randy in particular was marking out the whole time. 

Footage please because I don't recall what you are talking about...

Is that a different commentary track than the original PPV? The two Hart-Perfect PPV matches that I can recall were at SummerSlam '91 (Piper/Monsoon/Heenan) and KotR '93 (Savage/Ross/Heenan). Neither have Vince.

I do think that SS '91 commentary is probably Piper's finest moment as a commentator - he really added to the Virgil-DiBiase match.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's both of those on the DVD. Must've been SummerSlam because I remember Piper threatening Bobby. I swear Savage was there but I'm probably thinking of the KOTR one. Either way, great commentary on both. 

Huh, looked those up and also found out that the Mr. Sakurada that helped train Bret was none other than "Dragonmaster" Kendo Nagasaki. 

I love late 90's Dusty trying in vain to describe what the Luchadors were doing while everyone else was blabbering about the nWo. 

Other than that, Ventura with either Gorilla or JR works for me. Also CMLL commentary throughout the years, particularly the guy who came out with the word "RUDISSIMO!' Doesn't matter that I don't understand Spanish. 

5 hours ago, DangerMark said:

I love late 90's Dusty trying in vain to describe what the Luchadors were doing while everyone else was blabbering about the nWo. 

Other than that, Ventura with either Gorilla or JR works for me. Also CMLL commentary throughout the years, particularly the guy who came out with the word "RUDISSIMO!' Doesn't matter that I don't understand Spanish. 

I always loved Dusty calling Eddy his "Texican friend".

Kal Rudman really is a great answer. Kal is just the leery, creepy best. Watching a 1980 Spectrum show and they had an ad for The First Nudie Musical and Dick Graham is having trouble getting through the written advert, and Kal just blurts out "I would love to see Cindy Williams nude. It's a fantasy of mine."

• Like 2

On 12/19/2016 at 5:48 AM, Red is Dead said:

Eddie Kingston was surprising to me on commentary. His high pitched shrieks and the "it's over" after a power/finisher would always help the match.

Graves and phillips when on NXT are going great guns.

Mauro and Bryan on the CWC were a joy to listen to. Two geeks, geeking out about prograps.

And for PWG, Excalibur and Chuckie T always slay. ALWAYS.

What I'd like to see is Michael Cole with Triple H in his headset, rather than McMahon. Cole has the ability for it, but he's just being forced to parrt out these lines and scripts all the fucking time. Let him go be cole. 

Eddie Kingston is too good on commentary. An awesome wrestler should not be that good because it takes away from his special aura. Its a good problem to have and Ultra Mantis Black has that problem times ten. Great promo, Good matches, Great commentary. If only TNA and ROH didn't suck so bad. Two guys with a million tons of upward mobility and no place to go.

Why can't a company in Japan or Mexico or Europe take the footage library they already have, and simply have Kingston and Mantis do an American commentary track, then sell it to Flowslam or sell streams of individual shows on a website. Its simple. these companies like CMLL and Dragon Gate and DDT and a dozen others have entire libraries of great stuff they don't know how to market to America. They are so stupid. STUPUD!

Kingston and Mantis doing an English dub in a Philadelphia studio would not cost much. These companies already spent tens of thousands of dollars on a catalogue of shows that are really good, but no one besides New Japan and AAA Triplemania bother to give them an English dub. If I spent tens of thousands of dollars on All Japan promoted shows [for example] then I would cheaply put an English commentary track on it, with American wrestlers as commentators.

America has millions of wrestling fans that see GIFs of foreign wrestling and think it's cool, but don't bother to watch these awesome shows because it's not in their language. America is a country of content consumers who spend money. The market is there. If I spent tens of thousands of dollars assembling cardboard boxes in Japan, I would slap an English label on some and ship to America to sell more. Kingston/Mantis/a few others are PERFECT for this.They understand the product. Wouldn't you watch a medium size foreign promotion with Mantis and Kingston doing commentary? I think it would change the industry.

On Monday, December 26, 2016 at 2:51 AM, EricR said:

Kal Rudman really is a great answer. Kal is just the leery, creepy best. Watching a 1980 Spectrum show and they had an ad for The First Nudie Musical and Dick Graham is having trouble getting through the written advert, and Kal just blurts out "I would love to see Cindy Williams nude. It's a fantasy of mine."

That's fucking weird.  I would have gone with Joyce DeWitt.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Here comes a wall of text like you wouldn’t believe lol! It’s going here because when I searched “Dave Brown” this looked like the best place to put it. I did notice that he’s mentioned in some of the locked AEW threads. Is it the same Dave Brown from Memphis?

Anyway Dave Brown and...Bill Dance...bloopers. That’s right. You can probably already guess the connection. They’re both Tennessee natives and they both got their starts on local TV there. 

You’ve probably seen Bill Dance bloopers to the point of exhaustion by now because they’re everywhere and some of them are even staged at this point. What you probably haven’t seen is his first ever 1 hour VHS tape (3 shows) of bloopers that he had no idea would launch his secondary career as the 4th stooge. That tape includes the 1 and only Dave Brown running the first ever Bill Dance blooper on the local news ? ??. Funniest thing I ever seen to. He didn’t bust out laughing but the other 2 news men did. I would link it but I can’t find it on YouTube. I have the old tape. The oldest bloopers are the funniest because a young Bill Dance had a mouth that you wouldn’t believe and he had some Sabu level botches that could have killed him. 

I honestly think Vince and Jesse are the best ever. In particular on SNME.

Other great pairings:

Gorilla/Jesse

Gorilla/Heenan

Ross/Lawler

Russell/Brown

Michael Cole and JBL were very good when they originally were paired on Smackdown, Cole and Tazz were also decent as well.

Dutch Mantell was very good in WCW in the early 90s but I forget who he was paired with. 

I don't like 3 (or 4!) man commentary teams at all.

I think you will always lean towards what you heard when you fell in love with wrestling. So for me Gorilla/Heenan and Gorilla/Ventura will always be high on my list. I also enjoyed Schiavone/Ventura.

Lance Russell and Dave Brown fill me with joy everytime I watch old Memphis. I didn't grow up with it, but their commentary meshes so well with the product.

• Like 2

Tony and Ventura are really good in the booth together. Monsoon and Heenan are probably the best team to ever call the sport together. I thought Tazz and Michael Cole where a great team on SmackDown and Heat. I also have a soft spot for Mike Tenay and Don West.

I have a certain fondness for Bill Mercer and his inability to call moves

I love Rod Trongard and Lord James Blears for all the wrong reasons (especially LJB's horndoginess during women's matches)

Gorilla and Jesse are my goldstandard followed by Bobby and Gorilla.

James

• Like 1