DVDVR Message Board

2016-2017 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

On 12/28/2016 at 1:16 PM, Pete said:

I think an actual Edsel would be more effective there.

I know he left under awful circumstances but he was easily the best coach in UCONN history. Am I supposed to believe he magically became an ineffective coach because he failed at Maryland? For a program at their level they could've done significantly worse IMO.

Yeah but there is a huge difference in the quality of the American conference (or whatever it is called) Ā and Big East during his time at UCONN than the ACC. Ā  Edsel is a perfectly good head coach but don't expect him to be in a new year day bowl. Ā  And the one time he went to a major bowl they got destroyed if I remember

Ā 

I'm not sure Minnesota has what it takes to lure Chip back.Ā 

(Honestly, I bet he's at least half keeping an eye on if Harbaugh is going back to the NFL. That's a high profile job that will pay him big money and has talent on hand and a recruiting class worth trying to salvage from a coaching change)

On ā€Ž1ā€Ž/ā€Ž3ā€Ž/ā€Ž2017 at 10:58 PM, John Austin said:

looks like you called it Gonzo, cause Claeys is out as Minnesota coach

I was at least half-joking about Chip Kelly, because I don't think there's a chance in hell he'd be interested in Minnesota.

Apparently they've offered the job to P.J. Fleck and the Flecktones.

Fleck is a heck of a lot more reasonable than Chip. Although you know damn well he won't stick around long if he's successful.Ā 

It's a brutal job, though. The Big Ten West looks likely to be a dogfight every year, especially if Sparty bounces back.

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Dewar said:

So why is 'greyshirting' a thing, and why can't the NCAA put in a rule telling schools they cannot offer more scholarships than they actually have available?

Because, something, something, haughty chuckle, snort, tradition?

2 hours ago, Dewar said:

So why is 'greyshirting' a thing, and why can't the NCAA put in a rule telling schools they cannot offer more scholarships than they actually have available?

Greyshirting exists becauseĀ coaches are smart and the NCAA rulebook is dumb.

Technically, a recruit being asked to grey shirt isn't actually being offered a scholarship, but rather the promise that they'll have a scholarship *next* year. Ā So there!