DVDVR Message Board

2016-2017 NCAA FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

RIPPA

On 12/5/2016 at 1:29 AM, Tabe said:

One of Wilson's DEFENDERS among his former players says Wilson once ripped his helmet off his head - while it was buckled - and then punched him. 

Defender. 

Yeah, another defender was on Twitter saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, we knew something like this might happen when they hired him."  Basically he was saying, I'm OK with him assaulting students because that guy can coach.  College football everybody, where we are OK with a coach physically assaulting a player, but if that player gets paid it is the end of the fucking world.

1 hour ago, Robert C said:

Hopefully somebody warned that poor bastard what he's walking into.  The ongoing sex scandal and total lack of any meaningful 2016 recruits are bad enough, but maybe he can overcome that  The worst part is he'll have to live in Waco.

But Chip and Joanna could hook him up on Fixer Upper!

Now somebody shoot me in the head for knowing that.

But seriously, good for him.  I thought it was odd how Temple kinda flew under the radar this year despite having a better season than last year.  A lot of coaches have had that one-year wonder where they jump into the spotlight out of nowhere (hello, Colorado).  But following up with another strong season proves you've built a legit program.

12 minutes ago, John Austin said:

I think Jonathan Allen, who just won the Nagurski trophy could've been a better candidate to go to NY but you know. Oh well, ill still love him for his "Alabama does..." Quote from last year's playoff game

I didn't want to be the one to bring Allen's name up because, well, check the avatar...but yeah.  The best defensive player in the country.

Shit, Allen has half as many TDs as Peppers and he only really plays defense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, supremebve said:

Yeah, another defender was on Twitter saying something to the effect of, "Yeah, we knew something like this might happen when they hired him."  Basically he was saying, I'm OK with him assaulting students because that guy can coach.  College football everybody, where we are OK with a coach physically assaulting a player, but if that player gets paid it is the end of the fucking world.

Its as if no one told them its not the 1950's/60's anymore. . . .

On 12/5/2016 at 5:35 PM, EVA said:

I know it's a soft field this year, but flat-out, Jabrill Peppers does not deserve to be there.  Most overhyped player in the country.  Talented guy, but he simply does not produce at an elite level at ANY of his many positions.

He's up for player of the year at 3 positions in the best conference in the country. He was elite on defense but not offense or returner. 

9 hours ago, Tabe said:

He's up for player of the year at 3 positions in the best conference in the country. He was elite on defense but not offense or returner. 

Can you point me toward some data that actually supports the notion that he's elite on defense?  Because the only statistical category where he rates at all on that side of the ball is TFL, where he barely sneaks into the Top 30 with 15.

And even that number falls apart as "elite" under scrutiny when you consider how significantly it's fluffed against bad opponents.  His only really good game against a quality opponent was 3.5 against Colorado (which is good!).  But when it comes to how he fared in the best conference in the country...he had a whopping 5.5 for the whole season.  And against the best teams they played in conference (so Penn State, Wisoncsin, Ohio State, Iowa) he had.....zero.

That's right.  He had zero TFLs against teams with winning records in conference (or winning records period, once you get by Colorado).  That is not elite.

And he wasn't any better in coverage.  PFF tracked him as allowing 20 completions on 26 targets where he was the primary defender this year and he has ZERO pass defenses on the season.  His 1 interception was a Manti Teo Special where he happened to be in the right place for a tipped pass to fall into his lap.  That is not elite.

Look, he's a fine player, but the bottom line is, before the season even started, the media created this narrative that he was the 2nd coming of Charles Woodson and that has carried through with him into awards season.  But he's not even close.

But just so it doesn't seem like I'm piling on the guy, I don't understand why Myles Garrett is up for the Bednarik either.

23 hours ago, John Austin said:

Looks like Lane Kiffim is going to Houston depending on who you talk to.

Houston went with Major Applewhite instead and apparently Kiffin is the leading candidate for LSU

LSU OC is Kiffin's fallback if he doesn't get a head coaching job.  Watch out for him to be the top target at USF, though.

Meanwhile, point and laugh at how badly Houston bungled this coaching search.  Classic case of a small program trying to overstep their bounds and getting smacked back down to reality.

• Like 1