DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION... for now

RIPPA

1 minute ago, DTTW said:

So Brock in Japan wasn't successful ?

I have no idea exact numbers but that one probably did a decent amount of views over the course of the week since it was the first one and had the NXT title change

But notice they haven't done one since the first Roadblock back in March

It is also cheaper for them to crank out the reality shows than do a production set up for a random show

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, DTTW said:

Because that NWO ppv did so well....and then factor in the cost to make it happen. If women wrestling was wildly popular, Shimmer would be a bigger deal, Wrestlicious would be battling GLOW for ratings dominance. God people, I have nothing against female wrestling, but it's a niche thing. It's never going to get over beyond a certain point.

Save a boat load of money and failure and just run women's wrestling specials of matches hosted by some talking head.

I think it's intellectually disingenuous to use niche, smallertime, indyish promotions to make your point about what a wider audience may or may not accept. You're of course welcome to your perspective. But the way you frame it here isn't passing the smell test. 

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I have no idea exact numbers but that one probably did a decent amount of views over the course of the week since it was the first one and had the NXT title change

It is also cheaper for them to crank out the reality shows than do a production set up for a random show

That makes sense but has anyone suggested just taping the house shows with maybe a simple set up? No big set pieces just what they'd do for a house show? I'd think it wouldn't cost THAT much, but I don't know

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Austin said:

That makes sense but has anyone suggested just taping the house shows with maybe a simple set up? No big set pieces just what they'd do for a house show? I'd think it wouldn't cost THAT much, but I don't know

Honestly - I think they think the house shows would present a watered down version of the product.

As seen by the photo thread and the notes pictures - they really want to keep it as basic as it comes

Another thing to consider with that idea is (from my observations attending too many house shows) the workers tend to tone it down on the dives and milk the crowd a little bit more in a lot of house show matches in an effort to avoid killing themselves. I don't think anyone is going to want to feel the pressure more red light fever without a marked increase in compensation. 

In case you missed it #KevinOwens is receiving backlash for going heel on a 7 year old boy

KO went full heel on the boy afterwards the mom took to social media to say that her heart is shattered. She posted the following:

“My heart is shattered. What started off as an amazingly awesome night ended in my 7 year old being completely heartbroken. My son is a huge WWE fan and a fan of just about every wrestler on the roster. He has a drawer full of everyone’s shirts but he chose to wear a Roman Reigns shirt since he has been a fan of his ever since he started watching. All night he was getting high fives from other wrestlers and was all smiles but for some reason when Kevin Owens came out he singled out my son and commented on who’s shirt he was wearing then told him “you should get this shirt. Actually don’t get this shirt I don’t want you to ever wear my shirt. Don’t you ever try to touch me.” All because my 7 year old wanted a high five and wasn’t wearing his shirt. My heart sank. He became visibly upset, sat down and kept staring at the gate. I couldn’t help it I started crying. He loves wrestling. He has a drawer full of just about everyone’s shirts, over 100 figures, so many accessories and just loves watching and going to events. The worst part is he was going to be getting a Kevin Owens shirt and hat for Christmas but now he doesn’t want anything to do with him. Kevin Owens was actually one of my sons favorites but now he says “he’s not even on the list of who I like.” This was finally an event that my whole family was able to attend: myself, my son, my mother who has been suffering from leukemia, and my father and we were all having a great time until that happened. For a show that is supposed to be family friendly Kevin Owens really crushed a huge fans spirits last night. My son is 7 not 15 or 16 where they can take someone they idolize talking to them like that but 7. We have been to many events: TLC, Smackdown, Hell in a Cell, NXT, and the draft. He doesn’t want to go anymore. He had previously asked me if the wrestlers who appear mean would ever do or say something to a kid and I said absolutely not they know better. Kevin Owens made me a liar and just showed everyone last night how much of a jerk he really is. To top all of this off after Kevin Owens lost to Roman Reigns and he was walking away from the ring my son was just standing there on his seat watching and Kevin Owens jumped towards him and yelled at him “I am your father” which made no sense but with the sudden movement and loudness made all of us jump and my son almost fell of his seat. My son is crushed and whenever he talks about it he tears up. I can’t believe a wrestler would actually treat a 7 year old fan this way. Shame on you Kevin Owens and WWE.”

Is the mom being too sensitive or did KO cross the line?

God bless Kevin Owens. 

• Like 10

39 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Again it goes back to that most people use the Network for originally programming and the bonus of the PPV

I assume you mean "original programming".  Really?  That's the draw of the Network?  It never even occurred to me there would be much interest in the original programming outside of Talking Smack and the like.  I kinda assumed Holey Foley, the E&C show, the cartoons, Ridealong, etc. were just there to fill content hours.  Color me surprised.

I'd still like to know how much profit they actually made from a PPV ordered through Comcast or whoever.  I'm assuming it's nowhere near what I thought, since the Network seems to be pretty successful and you'd have to sell several network subscriptions to offset the revenue from one PPV.  I wonder if I'm not in the minority.  I spend far less money on WWE products since the Network came along.  Now, the company gets about $120 a year from me.  Prior to my network subscription, I generally bought the A-level PPV's, probably a couple B-level PPV's, and maybe 4 or so DVD's of the PPV's I liked (I don't go to house shows or otherwise buy wrestling merch).  Now I just pay for the network subscription.

I wish more people used the Network to watch old footage (esp. non-WWF/E footage).  Until more people start doing that, there's not a huge incentive for then to invest in digitizing old footage.  I'd like the WWE a lot more if it had more complete WWF footage from the 80's/early 90's, and more territorial footage.  

5 hours ago, Tromatagon said:

For those of you guys who haven't seen them work, here's when the turtles wrestled each other on Children's Day for a bunch of kids.  It's an absolute violent bloodbath.

Donatello was hurt and couldn't wrestle because he did a suicide dive right onto his face and broke his nose right before this

It's a shame they're not doing a Trios match between Los Tortugas Ninjas and Los Sapos de Batalla.

frog splashes.

• Like 1

The kid's mom went full babyface in an attempt to get merch and meet and greets for her kid directly from the WWE, right? Brilliant move on her part if that's the case.

As for the Chris Hero thing, I hope he's swerving everyone so that when he shows up on Smackdown as Christopher (in Stardust makeup) to lead the Ascension to great success and glory, it'll be a surprise. And by glory I mean beyond JTTS status.

2 minutes ago, zev said:

The kid's mom went full babyface in an attempt to get merch and meet and greets for her kid directly from the WWE, right? Brilliant move on her part if that's the case.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, zev said:

Probably. Reminds me of this guy in Philly some months back. Our NBC affiliate has a segment where one of the reporters tries to right a wrong between somebody and a business, when money or a product is involved. 

This grown man contacted them because he bought tickets to a show and because Bryan retired, he felt like he deserved to get his money back. They gave him house show tix and said sorry. He still complained and (presumably) because NBC stepped in, they ended up giving him tix for Smackdown this past September. 

They're in Philly tonight, so maybe he'll try the same BS. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, John Austin said:

When NXT broadcast some matches from their California tour leading up to Toronto I instantly became a fan of this idea. it was everything that made me love  pro wrestling.

1 hour ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

I think it's intellectually disingenuous to use niche, smallertime, indyish promotions to make your point about what a wider audience may or may not accept. You're of course welcome to your perspective. But the way you frame it here isn't passing the smell test. 

ECW blew up...along with TNA, where women didn't matter much either, WCW, etc. Glow didn't blow up and I'll guess that had more exposure than TNA did.

Yes I know Glow is coming back, but it doesn't sound like wrestling will be the focus of the show.

TV has attempted multiple female wrestling things...none have worked too well.

10 minutes ago, DTTW said:

TV has attempted multiple female wrestling things...none have worked too well.

Name the major attempt. WWE are the kings of self-fulfilling prophecies. Give it a shitty push, it doesn't get over, say "see, I knew it wouldn't get over". 

That's not to say the push they have been giving the women has been bad, quite the opposite. But instead of another Smackdown PPV with a repeat of the same matches, why not try it? The money is already invested. They can always do PPV repeat #4 the next month. 

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

See I don't see why they just don't do fancams like ECW did. Surely one camera at a house show is not expensive. They already do the mini tron and stage.

2 hours ago, DTTW said:

I am not that dude. Sorry if I am mistaking your intentions.

I just don't think the American audience has a big interest in paying money to see women fake fight because they never have in the past and it continues to be a niche product.

The Sasha and Charlotte segments have been higher rated than Owens and Rollins. Nothing on WWE programming right now is a huge hit but I think the women have proved they belong and can draw the same amount of viewers if not more on occasion.

24 minutes ago, Victator said:

Don't let Alberto watch that Scott Hall shoot, Youtube keeps trying to get me to watch.

Ooof - that just showed up in my recommendations too

What the fuck Youtube?